Popular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Foggle, May 13, 2013, 06:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 13, 2013, 07:09:22 PM
-Dragon Ball is a true classic that deserves its recognition as not only one of the best shonen anime ever, but should also be regarded among the best of the best as far as all anime classics go.

This.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 13, 2013, 07:09:22 PM
Stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho will always, always, ALWAYS be better than something like Bleach or Beelzebub. The few naysayers just wouldn't know quality entertainment if it bit their dick off.

...and this.

I can't even watch like 98% of modern shonen. It's just... all of it is fucking terrible. You can complain about the pacing in something like DBZ, to which you'd have a fair point, but at least there was (usually) enough going on to keep you entertained in the meantime. Only the absolute worst bits of filler, like Namek, made it entirely unwatchable, and those were still few and far between in comparison to the lion's share of newer series. Bleach? Naruto? Ugh, don't even...

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: SSJ Jake on May 14, 2013, 02:38:13 AM
I will say that I'm surprised the Dundie character (the pair of underwear with a Duck's head and neck...yeah) in Bo-bobo even made it on American television without being edited.

Heh. You should have seen how he was depicted in the manga...

Spoiler

[close]

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 14, 2013, 03:10:14 PM
Don't most fans think Bleach or Naruto is better? I know there's lots of Toonami era fans but I think the Narutards and etc outweigh us.

Yeah, I think there are more fans out there who overall think Bleach and Naruto are the shit instead of just shit. However, I'm also positive that a lot of these fans haven't actually read or watched any older Jump titles aside from maybe Dragonball Z, so it's partially a matter of ignorance.

Quote from: Foggle on May 14, 2013, 03:11:14 PM
You should watch all of One Piece. All of it. Every episode and special. In order.

That's...not as bad as I think you want it to sound.  :sweat: Yeah, there are almost 600 episodes of the show now with 100 of them being pretty mediocre, but you can watch all of it if you pace yourself in at least six months. Some people, like a couple of friends I have, went through the entire series in 4 or 5 because they were pretty addicted to it.  :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not really a fan of the OP anime in much the same vein that I'm not a fan of DBZ. The manga is just a far better alternative. So in that regard, I wouldn't really recommend the anime to anyone.

As for the movies, there are only 2 OP movies that I find to be at all noteworthy (though, people may disagree with me). There is movie 6 which was actually directed by Mamoru Hosoda, and while its not on par with his other workds, its extremely dark and twisted in a way that's interesting to see applied to something as silly-looking and seemingly light-hearted as One Piece. I also liked movie 10, which once again wasn't anything too special compared to high quality anime films, but for a movie based off of a long-running shonen series, it was surprisingly entertaining for what it was.

Most of the other movies and specials were pretty boring for me, personally, though admittedly I haven't watched all of them, and  quite frankly I don't ever plan to.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 14, 2013, 04:35:53 PM
QuoteDon't most fans think Bleach or Naruto is better? I know there's lots of Toonami era fans but I think the Narutards and etc outweigh us.

Yeah, I think there are more fans out there who overall think Bleach and Naruto are the shit instead of just shit. However, I'm also positive that a lot of these fans haven't actually read or watched any older Jump titles aside from maybe Dragonball Z, so it's partially a matter of ignorance.

Well, I never mentioned Naruto in my post because that was the exception of something that's still really popular with American anime fans. That said, I'm pretty positive that Kubo's terrible writing has pissed so many people off and turned away so many fans that Bleach's current popularity is based almost entirely off of people criticizing it rather than praising it (at least for the post-Soul Society stuff). I'm pretty sure that most shonen anime fans that you talk to these days would agree that a lot of the older classics are far better. There are a ton of ignorant fans that don't know any better, but I know enough to be sure that there are plenty of older anime fans who have a lot of genuine love and respect for the classics for it to be considered a popular opinion that the classics trump a majority of the currently running shonen series.

Rynnec

-Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are excellent must-watch anime with great dubs that still hold up today.

-Yuki Kajiura and Yoko Kanno are fantastic composers

-Samurai Champloo and FLCL have awesome soundtracks.

-Most modern anime protagonists suck donkey cock.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 14, 2013, 04:49:44 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on May 14, 2013, 04:35:53 PM
QuoteDon't most fans think Bleach or Naruto is better? I know there's lots of Toonami era fans but I think the Narutards and etc outweigh us.

Well, I never mentioned Naruto in my post because that was the exception of something that's still really popular with American anime fans. That said, I'm pretty positive that Kubo's terrible writing has pissed so many people off and turned away so many fans that Bleach's current popularity is based almost entirely off of people criticizing it rather than praising it (at least for the post-Soul Society stuff). I'm pretty sure that most shonen anime fans that you talk to these days would agree that a lot of the older classics are far better. There are a ton of ignorant fans that don't know any better, but I know enough to be sure that there are plenty of older anime fans who have a lot of genuine love and respect for the classics for it to be considered a popular opinion that the classics trump a majority of the currently running shonen series.

I'd say Kishi has dropped the ball harder, if only by a little bit. Aizen and Juhabach may be bland villains, but at least they don't spew out lyrics to a Linkin Park song like a certain Naruto villain is currently doing. And then there's Sasuke...

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 14, 2013, 04:42:22 PM
I'm not really a fan of the OP anime in much the same vein that I'm not a fan of DBZ. The manga is just a far better alternative. So in that regard, I wouldn't really recommend the anime to anyone.

Most of the other movies and specials were pretty boring for me, personally, though admittedly I haven't watched all of them, and  quite frankly I don't ever plan to.

Yeah, I still like the anime adaption for the most part, but these days I also prefer reading the manga over watching it, especially with the post-Impel Down stuff. Still, there are a lot of parts of the early episodes that I still really enjoy and in that regard I can recommend it to people who I know have similar tastes to mine and can tolerate the usual cheapness of most long-running fighting anime.

The movies, like most show-based films, don't do all that much for me, but they are better than the Dragonball Z movies in that I get can get through them without being either completely bored or annoyed.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 14, 2013, 04:49:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that most shonen anime fans that you talk to these days would agree that a lot of the older classics are far better. There are a ton of ignorant fans that don't know any better, but I know enough to be sure that there are plenty of older anime fans who have a lot of genuine love and respect for the classics for it to be considered a popular opinion that the classics trump a majority of the currently running shonen series.

Eh, from my experience, most of the U.S. anime fans that grew up with Naruto as their nostalgic show instead of Dragonball Z haven't checked out classics like Yu Yu Hakusho or Rurouni Kenshin. The anime fans I know in real life haven't watched real classics like those, and only watch the more popular kind of anime nowadays for the most part. To be honest, I don't know many people who consider themselves "shonen" fans so much as liking what they like from any genre. I have seen more people hate on shonen series outright than the opposite, though. There might be lots of older fans who think the classics are better, but from what I've seen there's also lots of younger fans who like the current crop and aren't interested in the classics, so I'm not really sure where the majority-based popular opinion on this really lies.

Quote from: Rynnec on May 14, 2013, 05:26:46 PM

- Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are excellent must-watch anime with great dubs that still hold up today.

I don't know if I would call Outlaw Star a must-see personally. I like the show a lot, but I didn't feel that I would have missed out much if I hadn't had watched it either by the end of it.

Quote from: Rynnec on May 14, 2013, 05:26:46 PM
-Samurai Champloo and FLCL have awesome soundtracks.

I honestly can't remember any of the FLCL soundtrack except for "Shooting Star."  :P

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 14, 2013, 03:11:14 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 14, 2013, 03:06:25 PM
Shonen is addictive. I plan on watching all non-filler Naruto if I ever get a chance. I was going to say Bleach but I see how that could drive me crazy.
You should watch all of One Piece. All of it. Every episode and special. In order.
I will. Jokes aside, I've been planning on watching OP, FMP and Avaitor's favorite Gundam.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Same idea as the other one.

Trigun is a classic.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

...We already had a thread for this - http://animationrevelation.com/forum/index.php?topic=954.0  :sweat:

Anyway:

- Ranma 1/2 is a classic that is far better than any of it's imitators and has just as much to offer modern fans just as much as it did 90's fans
- Maison Ikkoku is one of the greatest romance anime/manga ever made.
- Urusei Yatsura remains one of the most definitive anime comedies and it's influence is still seen to this day.
- Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer is a masterpiece and Mamorou Oishii's best work.
- Hunter X Hunter is one of the best modern battle shonen currently running.
- Kill la Kill is better than Gurren Lagann (I still love the latter, though)
- Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl is the best Pokemon series.
- Digimon: Tamers is the best Digimon series.
- The Toriko anime was an abomination that butchered it's source manga, which remains one of the most fun battle shonen series currently running.
- Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters is a joke and it's baffling why it was even made, much less why Toei bothered to create two different versions of it.
- Mamorou Hosada is one of the best anime film directors out there and Summer Wars is his best work
- The Wind Rises is the most "intimate" of all of Miyazaki's films

That's all I can think of right now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually I've seen more people who say that they like TTGL better, hence why I posted the same opinion as you in the Unpopular Opinions thread.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 26, 2014, 01:13:32 PM
Actually I've seen more people who say that they like TTGL better, hence why I posted the same opinion as you in the Unpopular Opinions thread.

Really? I see the opposite a lot more. It might just be split down the middle.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I tend to see more people preferring KLK to GL these days, which is no surprise since KLK is the new, hip thing around.

gunswordfist

What the hell is Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters?

LumRanmaYasha

It's what they are calling the Kai version of the Buu saga internationally.

gunswordfist

:SHOCK: It's actually bad? Fuck, I wanted to give Buu saga a try with the Kai version.