Mega Man

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Capcom's anime decisions have been absolutely puzzling. Did you know there was a Viewtiful Joe show? There's a reason you didn't know that.

But the Mega Man series? They've gotten nothing. Not a single series.

Classic Mega Man? Nope.

Mega Man X? Nope.

Mega Man Zero? Nope.

Mega Man ZX? Nope.

Mega Man Legends? Nope.

In contrast, Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man have all had multiple animated series. Mega Man? Not even close to the amount of promotion the other companies gave.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

IIRC, I believe it was the Starforce anime's lack of success that killed Capcom's interest in any more Megaman anime.

Had they adapted ZX instead, then maybe things would be different.

Spark Of Spirit

Star Force was a bit of a bust in general. They tried to salvage it with that Star Force / Battle Network crossover, but the series refused to take off at all.

ZX in contrast did pretty well, but Advent bombed and killed the series. Maybe if it had gotten an anime, the interest would have carried over to the sequel. But, of course, it got nothing at all and the ZX sub-series died. Though, it might not have mattered since Advent was not very good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 02, 2015, 07:05:26 PM
Capcom's anime decisions have been absolutely puzzling. Did you know there was a Viewtiful Joe show? There's a reason you didn't know that.
I do remember that dude who was obsessed with it back during the TV.com days...

gunswordfist

lol I was thinking the same. I believe Avaitor made fun of him.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There's also a Power Stone show....yeah, let's just forget about that ever existing. It's for the better that nobody remembers it.

I've never seen a great video game adaptation, anyways. The DMC anime is, of course, a steaming turd, and the Bayonetta movie is one of the most boring things that I've ever watched. The Fatal Fury movie/OVA (or at least one of them), is at least sort of amusing if you watch the awful dub version.

The Sonic OVA was kind of good for its time, but doesn't really hold up amymore (IMO), and the Ninja Gaiden OVA is laughably bad, but with surprisingly decent animation, and those are about the best that I've seen from the genre.

I have however heard that Gungrave is a pretty OK anime, but considering what some anime fans pass off as good, I'm still skeptical.

Anyways, why is it so impossible to at least get a good animated adaptation of a video game franchise?

Spark Of Spirit

The Fatal Fury stuff is pretty good fighting anime, but all the other SNK stuff is a letdown. It's a shame, too, because their series have good set ups to make decent shows. Art of Fighting could easily be a decent martial arts flick, Metal Slug could be a crazy comedy, and Shock Troopers might have made a decent action show. But only Fatal Fury made a good try.

Gungrave is written by Yosuke Kuroda, writer of Trigun, based on Yoshihiro Nightow's core plot and character designs, and is actually not bad at all. It's no Trigun, and is deliberately a flipside of that story, but is far superior to a lot of the shonen sludge pumped out nowadays. It also doesn't share the story of the game since it's a prequel.

The major problem is that the good studios never seem to tackle the IPs. A Sonic show closer to the OVA would have been great, but for some reason it was passed up and we got Sonic X. And ON TOP OF THAT, the original version of Sonic X was closer to the OVA and was tweaked into what we got because of pointless focus testing. I'm still not sure why Nintendo only had those Kirby and F-Zero anime, but never bothered with Star Fox or Metroid which would work in the TV format better. VG companies need to get in touch with the animation studios better, I think.

talonmalon333

I do think Sonic the Hedgehog was a good show when it was new, but it hasn't aged well. In many ways, even Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog has aged better.

Know what could potentially be perfect for an anime adaptation? Phoenix Wright. I mean... just look at it. Do I even need to say why it would work? Plus, the characters, storytelling, and dialogue in those games are already better than 99.999% of games in existence, so little would need to be improved.

It's baffling that it got a live action movie instead.

gunswordfist

Oh yeah, Gungrave is pretty good. It's the only one I like.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 02, 2015, 09:03:26 PMKnow what could potentially be perfect for an anime adaptation? Phoenix Wright. I mean... just look at it. Do I even need to say why it would work? Plus, the characters, storytelling, and dialogue in those games are already better than 99.999% of games in existence, so little would need to be improved.
Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, God Hand, Final Fight, Maximo, Darkstalkers, Dino Crisis, Bionic Commando . . . Capcom has a lot of IPs that would easily adapt well.

But they would rather the IPs die than actually spend anything promoting them.

Rynnec

Sengoku Basara is the only videogame adaptation that I'd say stands out on its own and is a great anime in its own right, but even that dipped in quality with the recent season.

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 02, 2015, 08:34:22 PM
lol I was thinking the same. I believe Avaitor made fun of him.
Was that the guy who thought CatDog and 4Kids were the devil?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Foggle

Gungrave is really good, but (probably because) it barely resembles the games in terms of story.

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on June 02, 2015, 10:31:54 PMWas that the guy who thought CatDog and 4Kids were the devil?

Well, they were...