Favorite Games Ever (Besides Ninja Gaiden, Obviously)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

The only Kingdom Hearts game I ever played was the second one, and I fucking hated it, but people definitely whine way too hard about the opening being "too long." Persona 4's was terrible, though. While P3's intro was also lengthy, it was a lot more interesting and at least involved some semblance of gameplay. P4's opening is an entire hour of boredom.

Spark Of Spirit

Kingdom Hearts 1 is an actual game... I don't know what the hell was going on in 2.

KH2 is the reason I don't understand why people want a third one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

The only reason I played II before I is because I liked the way the combat system looked. (Despite the "press X to win" complaint)

Spark Of Spirit

I like Earth Defense Force 2017 and Insect Armageddon a lot, but I think if they learned from each other we could get one ultimate game from the concept.

I don't think I've ever played a game with the sense of scale and power of weapons like 2017, the humor is cheesy and delightful, and the game is CHAOTIC with stuff flying all over the place. The levels are also short and that there's 53 of them can get quite the meaty experience. There's also a ton of guns and health power-ups to increase your health. The game is simple arcadey fun, especially with co-op. Unfortunately there is no online co-op which the sequel fixes. It's a great game that is held back by technical quirks.

On the other hand, Insect Armageddon plays better. It's easier to dodge attacks, and the mission design keeps enemy variety much more fresh. The presentation and extra modes also add a lot to the package. Also, despite the longer missions, the game is much easier to play and get addicted to with the different suits and combination of gun drops and purchasable weapons. On the other hand, the game only has 15 levels even if those levels are twice to three times as long as most 2017 missions, it could use more. I also miss being able to pick up health pickups to increase health.

I probably prefer Insect Armageddon as a whole, but I think if the next game takes the best of both worlds we will have the best shooter of the gen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I really liked what I played of 2017, but I don't know if I'd say it was anywhere near the level of Vanquish (or F.E.A.R., if you consider that a current-gen shooter). Gotta' pick up Insect Armageddon soon.

Spark Of Spirit

It's a great game for mindless shooting, but it isn't really anything deep. Insect Armageddon adds a lot to the formula, though. I think the series is just steps away from nailing its full potential with the concept.

Spark Of Spirit

Let me try something a little odd for a list... Double Dragon! I haven't played every port of the games (there were a shit ton), so this will be a small list, but I will list what I've played.

Double Dragon Advance
Double Dragon II (NES)
Return Of Double Dragon
Double Dragon (Arcade)
Double Dragon (NES)
Battletoads & Double Dragon (I flip flop on the best version a lot, so I'll just throw this here)
Double Dragon (Game Boy)
Double Dragon III (NES)
Double Dragon II (Arcade)

Double Dragon V (as in 'vee'... this is not Double Dragon 5)
Every single other version of Double Dragon III is rancid and without any sort of positive to it

On another note, I wish someone would port the fucking PC Engine/TG16 DD2 to the VC. It's the version of this game I most want to play.

I also want to try the Neo Geo Rise Of The Dragons which pretty much is a Double Dragon game and should be re-released as such. Judging from that shitty looking upcoming XBLA DD2, the IP must be insanely cheap right now since no one is using it right.

I'm still disappointed at how little this series has been properly used. Million has been cranking out all kinds of Kunio sports games since they came back and are even planning on a River City Ransom 2... But Double Dragon? They're farming out a remake of DD2 (the inferior version, I might add) to a D-tier German studio who seems to be making a crappy Dynamite Deka rip off instead of a proper Double Dragon game. One of my greatest gaming disappointments was that we never got a Double Dragon Advance 2 based on the NES version, and instead the series was left to rot... Still, as far as beat em up series go, this is still one of the most interesting.

Spark Of Spirit

Daxdiv

Foggle

Saw that earlier. Very happy to hear about its success!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

In the mood to rank my favorite Mario titles:

Main Platformers
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Super Mario World
5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
6. Super Mario 64
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
9. Super Mario Land
10. New Super Mario Bros.
11. Super Mario Sunshine
12. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
13. Super Mario Bros. 2
14. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

RPGs
1. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
2. Super Paper Mario
3. Paper Mario
4. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
5. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
7. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Party Games
1. Mario Party 2 & 4
2. Mario Party 3
3. Mario Party 5
*Rest are fun but not memorable.*

Kart Games
1. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Super Mario Kart
4. Mario Kart Wii
*Didn't play the handhelds enough.*

Sport Games
*How many are there? Don't feel like listing them.*

Kiddington

Not a bad idea. K, I'll bite:

Platformers:

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
3. Super Mario 64
4. Super Mario World
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
7. Super Mario Bros. 2
8. Super Mario Bros.
9. Super Mario Land
10. New Super Mario Bros.
11. Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
12. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
13. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (beyond a 5-minute Best Buy demo, haven't played it yet, hence it's low ranking)
14. Super Mario Sunshine (yeah; you knew that was coming)

RPGs:

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
3. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
4. Paper Mario
5. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
6. Super Paper Mario
7. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

Party:

1. Mario Party 2
2. Mario Party 1
3. /the rest

Kart:

1. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
2. Super Mario Kart
3. Mario Kart Wii
4. Mario Kart DS
5. Mario Kart 64
6. Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Sports:

1. Mario Golf (N64)
2. Mario Superstar Baseball
3. Mario Power Tennis
4. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
5. Mario Tennis (N64)

Anything not mentioned I've either never played, or haven't played long enough to form an opinion of (I only included Galaxy 2 above because it is a major title; the rest really aren't, so there's not much of a point). Or, I might have simply missed a couple; it is late, and I am kinda half-tired right now anyway. =D

Eddy

Sure, why not?

Platformers: (this is the hardest one)
1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Mario 64
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Super Mario Land
9. Super Mario Bros. 2
10. Super Mario Sunshine
11. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
12. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
13. New Super Mario Bros.
14.  Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (to be honest, I haven't played much of this one)

RPGs:
1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
3. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
4. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
5. Paper Mario
6. Super Paper Mario
7. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (haven't played, heard I'm not missing out on much)

Mario Party:
1. Mario Party
2. Mario Party 2
3. the rest

Kart:
1. Mario Kart: Double-Dash!!
2. Mario Kart DS
3. Mario Kart 64
4. Super Mario Kart
5. Mario Kart Wii
6. Mario Kart: Super Circuit (hardly remember it)

Sports:
1. Mario Tennis (N64)
2. Mario Power Tennis
3. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
4. Mario Tennis (GBC)
5. N/A (I haven't played much of the other ones)

Avaitor

I'm not much for sports games, but I love Mario Tennis to death. I'd definitely rank that at the top.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/