Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Screw that. Bebop is a classic worth infinite rewatches. Maybe when they finally get a good amount of new shows and need the space but until then, Bebop should go nowhere.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 18, 2013, 08:25:29 PM
Screw that. Bebop is a classic worth infinite rewatches. Maybe when they finally get a good amount of new shows and need the space but until then, Bebop should go nowhere.

Fuck that. If you love the show so much just cough out the money and buy the freaking DVDs. If I'm expected to stay up into the wee hours of the morning for a half-hour show, its certainly as hell not going to be one that I've already seen about half a dozen times.

Avaitor

As much as I love Bebop, at this point, it's best reserved for a placeholder for when Toonami can't find something less overplayed to replace it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 18, 2013, 08:19:15 PM

Sure, its a good show, but the same can be said about a lot of shows. It doesn't mean that you need to re-run the hell out of it all the time. By now there are enough people who have become fans of Cowboy Bebop that you won't be getting too many new fans these days just by airing it at some obscure time. At least give some other shows a chance. Cowboy Bebop has been reran for YEARS on CN (it was always on Adult Swim before Toonami, so its been around for a while). In contrast, it has been YEARS since shows like Outlaw Star and Trigun have aired on CN, so you could theoretically pull in a lot more new fans for those shows that have had less exposure as of late than you could for a show that's as well-known as Cowboy Bebop.

I think they should give Bebop a rest now and again, but I still think one run a year would be fine. In any case, I'm not saying Trigun and Outlaw Star shouldn't air either. Ideally, they'd have a good rotation of classic titles like those in the later half of the block that cycles through them once a year so they never wear out their welcome.

I have no problem with that logic, but as you can remember, my point was that it could be used to replace Cowboy Bebop, which is where our opinions differ. I disagree that Cowboy Bebop should keep running on Toonami, on the grounds that its an older show that a lot of people have already seen to death, and its not worth it to keep it going just for the few people who haven't yet seen it (they could just buy the upcoming Blu-Rays if they are so inclined to view it for themselves). Its much more practical to give another one of the older shows a shot in its place.

I certainly wouldn't mind if they replaced Bebop with Trigun. I love Trigun. Third favorite show dontcha know. But the Toonami crews' preference is Cowboy Bebop, and I don't think it's likely they'll give up Bebop for Trigun.

Except that's not what Toonami was ever about. What you're describing is an ideal Adult Swim block. Toonami always had a central theme, and its primarily about shows that are fun and entertaining. That doesn't mean that they can't be adult as well, but stuff like Monster, as much as I love it, is not a series well-suited to a block like Toonami. The same goes for stuff like Madoka Magica.

I don't see anything wrong with airing Monster or Madoka Magica on the block aside from ratings concerns. I know Toonami isn't about airing just shows like those, and I guess I just exaggerated when I said otherwise, but really all I want is some of those kind of shows somewhere within the block. I like plenty of "fun" shows and like Toonami for airing "fun" shows in the past, and while I would prefer generally more "mature" shows (there is a difference between "mature" and "adult"  ;) , good shows are at the end of the day more important to me overall.  :sweat:

As opposed to the anime adaptations of Naruto and Bleach which do the same thing, except that they are based on already bad manga? I'm aware of Toei's track record of ruining anime (they did it long before Toriko for DBZ), but I'd rather take a bad adaptation of a good manga over a bad adaptation of a shitty one.

I think it's a far worse adaption than Dragonball Z. Bleach and Naruto suck, yeah, but I'd still say their anime adaptions are better in their canon parts as adaptions than the Toriko anime. Seriously, read the Ice Hell arc, specifically the Toriko vs. Tommyrod fight, and then watch it in the anime, and tell me that you feel the same intensity and energy the fight in the manga has in the anime. As for popularity, it's not really that popular in the U.S., certainly not more than One Piece or even Soul Eater for that matter, but even though I'd say the U.S. fanbase is growing I'd rather it be shown to kids via Vortexx or Nicktoons rather than adults and take up a half hour of Toonami's airtime.

If we really need a good long runner with new to tv episodes that could be "popular" among casuals on the block, I'd go with.... Sgt. Frog, I guess. Of course, I'd prefer Case Closed or Gintama but they said on the tumblr they don't think the former fits on the block and the latter will likely never get dubbed. It's a teens action/comedy with a gag dub, yeah, but Shin Chan was a flat out comedy and it actually did well in ratings (as far as I've been told, although it's still odd that [adult swim] stopped airing it), so I feel Sgt. Frog would do about as well as any light-hearted action adventure battle series they could air. But honestly, I think there are plenty of series with good appeal that could be popular like Black Lagoon and Gurren Lagann and such that they could air instead of Toriko, and I think One Piece is good enough as a ratings anchor for the block, as it's done quite well for itself despite the fact they started it 206 episodes into the series without a recap and at a fairly average but not great arc in the series, so it possibly could do even better when the real drama and battle-heavy action starts in Water 7/Enies Lobby.

Anyway, the basic point is, I don't think Toonami should air Toriko, even if they got rid of Naruto and Bleach. One Piece is the only current good long runner that I think the block should air, unless of course Hunter X Hunter 2011 gets dubbed, in which case they should also air that as quickly as they can.  ;)

Rynnec

Isn't the Toriko anime watered down to the point where it could air on daytime TV with little edits?

LumRanmaYasha

Yes. Yes it is. That's why I wouldn't mind if it was broadcast for kids. There's plenty worse they could be watching, and it'd be a good gateway anime for many young'uns. But on Toonami...no. It's be a waste of a good slot that could be used for a lot better stff that couldn't fly on daytime or be edited for general audiecnes/kids, and of a show that's practically perfect for children to watch.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 18, 2013, 08:29:42 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 18, 2013, 08:25:29 PM

Fuck that. If you love the show so much just cough out the money and buy the freaking DVDs. If I'm expected to stay up into the wee hours of the morning for a half-hour show, its certainly as hell not going to be one that I've already seen about half a dozen times.
Then don't. If the show is at a inconvenient hour for you then why complain about it still being on the block. >_<

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, the schedules you guys came up with would actually get me to watch it at least sometimes.

I still have yet to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

:D Same here.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 18, 2013, 11:31:20 PM
Wow, the schedules you guys came up with would actually get me to watch it at least sometimes.

I still have yet to.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 18, 2013, 11:04:55 PM
Then don't. If the show is at a inconvenient hour for you then why complain about it still being on the block. >_<

As usual, that nonexistent brain of yours completely missed the point. I basically said that its not worth it to stay up that late for a show that I've already seen a bunch of times. It wouldn't, however, be inconvenient if it was a show that I actually wanted to see again at that time, dumb-ass. :>

Lord Dalek

12.0 - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
12.5 - One Piece
01.0 - Blood-Lad
01.5 - Attack on Titan
02.0 - Madoka Magica
02.5 - From the New World
03.0 - Full Metal Panic!
03.5 - Last Exile
04.0 - Outlaw Star Uncut
04.5 - Cowboy Bebop Uncut
05.0 - Gatchaman
05.5 - Voltron

THIS IS PURE FANTASY MIND YOU. NOT REALISTIC AT ALL.

Foggle

Here's mine, I guess:

12:00 - One Piece
12:30 - Hunter x Hunter
1:00 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
1:30 - Full Metal Panic
2:00 - Gurren Lagann
2:30 - Attack On Titan
3:00 - Black Lagoon
3:30 - Fate/Zero
4:00 - Lupin III (franchise umbrella)
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop
5:00 - Samurai Champloo
5:30 - Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 19, 2013, 01:26:30 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 18, 2013, 11:04:55 PM

As usual, that nonexistent brain of yours completely missed the point. I basically said that its not worth it to stay up that late for a show that I've already seen a bunch of times. It wouldn't, however, be inconvenient if it was a show that I actually wanted to see again at that time, dumb-ass. :>
But then it would be past your curfew, bitchboy. ???

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on August 19, 2013, 11:17:22 AM
Here's mine, I guess:

12:00 - One Piece
12:30 - Hunter x Hunter
1:00 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
1:30 - Full Metal Panic
2:00 - Gurren Lagann
2:30 - Attack On Titan
3:00 - Black Lagoon
3:30 - Fate/Zero
4:00 - Lupin III (franchise umbrella)
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop
5:00 - Samurai Champloo
5:30 - Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
I should put in an extra hour for Samurai Champloo. Still my 3rd favorite anime.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 20, 2013, 12:06:37 AM
But then it would be past your curfew, bitchboy. ???

Does someone else want to take a crack at explaining to GSF why that question makes no sense, and also why he is, in general, an utter imbecile? I'd do it myself like I usually do, but I'm getting too tired of dealing with his bullshit to bother with it, anymore.