Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Of late, Kill la Kill and Fate/Zero are the only shows where I've felt that the Japanese voice acting has particularly stood out, though I do prefer the original audio track in Lupin III stuff as well.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 27, 2013, 09:33:23 PM
With a more serious show like Fate/Zero, the voices sound more realistic to me, which of course fits the tone of the show, but at the same time I honestly can't really remember any of the voices outside of the show. If you were to play an audio clip of any of the characters talking without any visuals to accompany it, I wouldn't be able to match the voice to the character in most cases.
On the flip side, even though English is my native language, I honestly could not tell the difference between Kiritsugu's, Kotomine's, and Tokiomi's voices in the Fate/Zero dub, while I could instantly tell them apart in the original Japanese. But that's a straight up outlier.

Spark Of Spirit

Maybe the dub will be as good as Higurashi's?

That would be worth the dub.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2013, 03:26:45 PM
Maybe the dub will be as good as Higurashi's?

That would be worth the dub.
They should get whoever played Rika to be every character.

Grave

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 27, 2013, 08:13:42 PM
Quote from: Grave on October 27, 2013, 08:05:22 PM
I think this is why I've always had the opinion that instead of trying to match the original seiyuu, match the character themselves. At least that sounded good in my mind back when I was more into anime.

Indeed. I think that approach is why performances like Steve Blum's Spike and Johnny Young Bosh's Vash are so excellent, to the point where they rival or surpass the original performances, in my opinion, as well as performances like Richard Ian Cox's Ranma and Christopher Sabat's Zoro, where they add their own unique flavor to the roles while still playing them somewhat similar that makes them stand out more to me. Most of the dubs I enjoy most are honestly those that perform the characters in their own way but in a way that's still true to the characters themselves, and I think that's probably the approach dubs should always go for, myself.

I'll take it 1 step further. David Kaye's Sesshoumaru. I don't know what the original sound like and quite frankly, I'm not the least bit interested either. He sold that role, and made Inuyasha worth watching (because I swear, if it weren't for him I would've given up on that series after the 2nd episode) And then when Viz licensed Bleach, everybody and their mother knew that he was going to be the voice of Byakuya because they were one in the same.

Quote from: Ensatsu-kenI don't understand the language, and usually can't accurately critique the performance.

Most of the times when the sub/dub debate pops up I may come off as tossing subs aside because I prefer dubs, but that's mainly because of what you said. I don't understand the language, and that leads me into not really being able to get any sense of emotion from the seiyuu's. I mean, I can see that a lot of characters are going through something, but I never feel for them.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Grave on October 28, 2013, 05:20:06 PM

I'll take it 1 step further. David Kaye's Sesshoumaru. I don't know what the original sound like and quite frankly, I'm not the least bit interested either. He sold that role, and made Inuyasha worth watching (because I swear, if it weren't for him I would've given up on that series after the 2nd episode).

But Sesshomaru doesn't appear until the 5th episode!  :>

But yeah, he's by far my favorite character in the series, and David Kaye's Sesshomaru was one of the few performances in the InuYasha anime that I liked, with Paul Dobson's Naraku, Janyse Jaud's Kagura, Chiara Zanni's Hakudoshi, and Ross Douglas' Moryomaru being the only other ones. The japanese cast isn't as annoying as some of the dub voices to me, but in contrast off the top of my head only Kagura's seiyuu was really great to me. The uneven performances by both casts is actually one of the reasons I don't care for InuYasha as an anime anyway, and would by a mile rather read the manga.

Grave

Oops... Show you how long it's been since I've seen Inuyasha.:)

Lord Dalek

The latest Surprise seems to have gone down like a bad mixer of Pepto and Club Soda.

LumRanmaYasha

People liked Korgoth, though. It was King Star King and Kick-Heart they hated. The reaction has been more mixed than outright negative, as far as I can tell.

Daikun

King Star King tried way too hard to be an adult version of Adventure Time.

I can never get tired of Korgoth. It's always a treat to see it on TV, so I'm glad Toonami aired it.

I fell asleep before Krap-Heart started. I saw it the first time, so I didn't miss anything.

Frankly, after three miserable "surprises" in a row (after the two Evangelion movies and now DST), I'm sick of these things. Toonami needs to stop with the on-air surprises so we don't stay up all night just to feel underwhelmed. Either announce it ahead of time or don't pick it up at all. It's pissing me off.

LumRanmaYasha

I liked the music videos they aired during and after Evangelion 1.0:-\

Rynnec

I saw a minute of King Star King before deciding it was crap. I left Korgoth on as background noise, but it was surprisingly decent background noise, would've made for an interesting series. And I still don't give a crap about Kickheart.

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 03, 2013, 05:24:46 PM
I liked the music videos they aired during and after Evangelion 1.0:-\

The music videos were the only good "surprise" they've had.

Foggle

Just watched King Star King. That shit was just vile. The character designs were grotesque, the violence was disgusting, the sexuality was degrading, the writing was nonexistent, and the voice acting was lame. The animation itself was quite good, but it would not be a stretch to call this one of the worst cartoons I've seen all year.

Daxdiv

So apparently King Star King got picked up for a season according to the series creator on Twitter.

GOD IS DEAD AND WE KILLED HIM!

Dr. Insomniac

But Daxdiv, the show is brilliant and inventive. And the haters are clearly angry that it's not anime.

LumRanmaYasha

:wth:

I...don't know what to say to this.