Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

"You're going to hear me roa-oa-oa-oa-oa-oa-oa-oa-"

"Shut up bitch shut up!"

Spark Of Spirit

It's no Call Me, but I could do without hearing that for one day.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

"Roar" is basically Firework 2. Same course, and bland as ever.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

Quote from: Comeau on November 16, 2013, 08:13:04 AMBut at the same time they still play the stuff like "Roar" and "Applause" and "Wrecking Ball" that I've always disliked.
There's almost no one's opinion online I treat as gospel but I find it amusing that both Katy Perry and - especially - Miley Cyrus's new albums have gotten surprisingly glowing praise from... yep, Slant Magazine. Who are renowned for being extremely reserved with their praise. Given how disappointed I was in Lady Gaga's latest, I think I just might check out Bangerz. (Amazing album cover, by the way - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Miley_Cyrus_Bangerz_%28Album_Cover%29.jpg - very reminiscent of the days of the 80's album covers)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I tried listening to Bangerz, but it gave me a headache.

And I already didn't like the two singles to begin with.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on November 18, 2013, 08:45:08 PMI tried listening to Bangerz, but it gave me a headache.

And I already didn't like the two singles to begin with.
I finished it a half-hour ago and I have to say I'm extremely impressed. There were about 3 songs I'd toss in the dumpster (especially that one that sampled "Stand by Me" - UGH!!!, painful) but the rest were shockingly solid. The music might be meh at best with someone else but... those lyrics are so mature, they almost make me scoff at the people who scoffed at her for her recent (admittedly hard to watch) music videos / concert performances. She actually has a point to make and I'll be goddamned if she doesn't make it effectively. Thinking back on Todd's review of "We Can't Stop," he almost comes off as condescending.

I have to really go out on a limb and defend "The New Miley," she's not just doing all this aggressive "FU"ing to defend stupid behavior in clubs. She's doing all this aggressive "FU"ing to say it's her right to do what she wants. And, you know what... she's not wrong. Most of this behavior of hers is in response to attitudes I actually complained about a couple days ago. The people who whined during "Can't Be Tamed" that "aww, but she's just a little girl" are actually, probably, more naive than she's supposed to be. It was a bad song, a bad video, and a bad movement for her because it just wasn't compelling. It didn't have any actual argument behind it. She's clearly loaded up her guns since. And people are choosing to react to the trashiness rather than what it symbolizes. I never thought I'd say an artist was using partying as a metaphor for freedom but that's what she's doing: so long as the media reacts with shocked testimonies by people claiming she's a role model (which she is but she shouldn't be and we clearly haven't learned that after Britney and Christina, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne, and Rihanna) than maybe Miley should be lashing out.

Although, I stand by this mainly in light of how weak Gaga's latest has been. Oh and being a Facebook follower of Michael Brandon- a wonderfully in-your-face daily reminder that gays have been living Miley's "lifestyle" for decades (before it was mainstream - and, yes, I hate that expression) and sometimes, I think that's why I see so many kids today get pissy when they see their darling Tart of Choice's latest blasted on a publication like Slant. It's been a disturbing trend that most female artists are typically criticized in the public for their image rather than their music quality. And there are fundamental ties between this and the fact that it's an everyday fight to just get people to stop judging people for any random thing. It'll never stop and, so, there apparently has to be a bar of sleaze artists are continually trying to one-up. Miley's trying to do this with some degree of righteousness and her attention to detail here has at least matched her moxie. And sexually, if you appreciate that detail, she's being surprisingly adult about all this. With no real credit for it because people keep reading a constant state of something being parodied as proof that the thing being parodied must suck rather than the people parodying being just as desperate for attention.

And... she might have done this better than Lady Gaga did. I quote:

"It's our party we can do what we want to
It's our house we can love who we want to
It's our song we can sing if we want to
It's my mouth I can say what I want to

We can kiss who we want
We can sing what we want"

This is at least every bit as "subtle" as just naming off groups of people who are... people. And, this might sound all kinds of crazy but, she's just letting people say whatever they want to about her instead of correcting them to tell them this is a song about life and not being ashamed. Because in the song's logic, no one in the club is shaming them for having big butts or kissing anyone in sight (at least 90% a metaphor for freedom from you-must-only-be-amorous-with-one-gender or one-color / ethnicity). This is about people not letting the everyday judgments of others get to them.
and I love it.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 18, 2013, 08:52:02 PM
Chop Suey! is such an annoying song.

Ahah, was just thinking about that the other. I don't feel like there's any middle ground with them, at least for me; you either love 'em or hate 'em.

I do like Toxicity, though. I can't explain it.

talonmalon333

"Let It Be" is an overrated song. Not one of my Beatles favorites.

Avaitor

I think it's a good song, but the album is easily the weakest from their later days. Unless you count Yellow Submarine. :P

New blog!

No-Personality

I don't like "Let It Be" either.

One more vote for overrated here.
and I love it.

Spark Of Spirit

Nel_Annette

Same here. Album's got about... three(?) songs I like off of it, and even then, I like the Past Masters versions of some of those tracks more.

talonmalon333

I don't dislike Let It Be. I just think it's an overrated song and not particularly great. I actually like Yellow Submarine more, Avaitor. :P