Disney Afternoon

Started by Avaitor, December 28, 2010, 11:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I've been slowly making way through Volume 2 of TaleSpin for the past week. The show holds up fairly well. Lots of adventure to go around and very tight pacing. It's definitely closer to DuckTales or Gummi Bears than Rescue Rangers.

I forgot how many times the main characters were inches from being executed, though. No way would any of that fly today.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Oh, I actually got volume 1 of TaleSpin today myself!

In a regular edition, but that's a-okay, as long as I get DMR points. :P Since our Sams card expires tomorrow and I had a little more gas then I thought, I figured why not?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Do you find TaleSpin as underrated as I do? I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it this time. It seems most people overlook it quite unfairly these days compared to the rest of the pre-Gargoyle shows.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It really is kind of underrated. Usually when people talk about how well the block holds up, they mean Gargoyles and the first 2 duck shows, not so much anything else.

TaleSpin tends to be the one that surprises people with how strong it is, while Rescue Rangers usually disappoints. Goof Troop and Bonkers are hit or miss, more hit for GT and more miss for Bonkers. Gummi Bears is usually just ignored, partly cause it was only on the block for the first season, and I guess because it looks even more "kiddy" than the other shows. But that's one I think is quite strong myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It might be because of how it's the least flashy of the shows but its a fun adventure show in the "Romancing The Stone" mold. Colonel Spigot is not quite as remembered as Shere Kahn and Don Carnage, but man if he doesn't have some good lines just like the rest of the bad guys. I would easily call it the equivalent of DuckTales and Darkwing Duck as a whole. Shame it never got a Saturday morning run like DW or GT. It deserved it.

Also, I might have a soft spot for Goof Troop but I still seem to remember most of the episodes even this many years later. They must have hit something with that one for me.

Gummi Bears only loses out, in my opinion, because it was only on for that one season. If it was on longer, I bet it would be more popular with fans.

Avaitor

I also remember that Gummi Bears didn't last too long on Toon Disney. It was only still around for like a year after I got it, while I at least got quite a longer bit of time out of the other TDA shows.

One thing I also just found out about TaleSpin is that Don Rosa wrote a couple of episodes. Way cool!

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, that definitely explains a lot. Now if only I could get volume 3 for a decent price.

King Hippo

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 15, 2014, 09:28:15 PM
Rescue Rangers was the most generic of the TDA shows and while it wasn't as good as any of the pre-Gargoyles shows, it was watchable for what it was. But yeah, it's the show I feel the least urges to watch of all of them. The writing just isn't as strong as the others and the stories are just too thin and repetitious.

Most of Rescue Rangers' one-shot villains were lame and forgettable.

Not to mention that, visually, the majority of the episodes look downright revolting.

Avaitor

The early episodes did have some solid TMS work. But after that, the animation did indeed decrease.

New blog!

King Hippo

Oh yeah, that first episode is killer.

Not just because of the animation, but because they use several music cues that for some reason they never use again.

Spark Of Spirit

I've said it before that as a kid I thought it was the best show (until DWD sunk in, that is) but over the years it has steadily dropped in rank for me while TaleSpin has gone up. I think the problem is that it's the most blatantly "for kids and no one else" of all the TDA shows which typically can be enjoyed by people of multiple ages.

Avaitor

Quote from: King Hippo on March 26, 2014, 08:25:07 PM
Oh yeah, that first episode is killer.

Not just because of the animation, but because they use several music cues that for some reason they never use again.
Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about.

I do want to get the rest of the series, even if RR is low on my favorites. The second volume is worth it alone for the pilot movie, and if I get the first 2, I might as well finish the collection, right?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I do eventually have to get around to them, but it's definitely behind the other shows for me. Strange that TaleSpin was the only TDA show to get a (technically in Gargoyles case) full release considering its stature, though. I would have expected DuckTales Volume 4 and the last 2 Darkwing Duck volumes to get pushed first.

Avaitor

Yeah, I was surprised that they went with TaleSpin as well. I thought DuckTales would have been higher priority, but I'm glad to have it finished anyway.

I think we'll get more this year. I hope that besides finishing off the shows that made it to retail, they don't forget Goof Troop either. That only needs one more set and they're done.

New blog!

King Hippo

I want Bonkers, dammit!