What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

i have always preferred finite continues in non-world map/arcade style platformers because using infinite lives...well, feels like cheating to me. challenging myself like that is part of the fun for me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I think the typical way that unlimited continues are implemented is fair. Limited continues often just feels like tedious punishment to extent playtime. I just don't see any good reason for a game to make you do the entire game all over again if you run out of continues at the final level.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The game still starts you at the beginning of the level if you run out of lives, rather than at the last checkpoint. That's punishment enough, IMO, since the game is balls hard enough as it is. The infinite continues only allow you to practice and get better at each level. They don't beat the game for you, so I don't really see it as cheating in the case of the classic Ninja Gaiden games.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Some people reset their games after getting hit once in old NES games. Some people just like the challenge. Personally, I never do those kinds of challenges. If I want more challenge I just put up the difficulty or try a harder game.

Though I've also done a buster only run of every Mega Man game. So, what do I know?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I've got early access demo codes for Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate. Does anyone want one?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

i feel bad for you. i still need to do a no auto-fire run.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 15, 2015, 06:23:56 PM
I've got early access demo codes for Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate. Does anyone want one?
I'm not a big fan of MH, but my friend really loves the series. I'm sure that code would make him super happy!

I'm basically done with Saints Row 4 now. Got a few more things from the Christmas DLC pack to do and then I've 100%ed the game aside from achievements I'll probably never get. Overall, it was amazing, and has become one of my favorite games of all time.

Oh, and speaking of that Christmas DLC...

Spoiler
[close]

talonmalon333

The Boss' dialogue at the end of MGS3 is much better [than it already was] having completed MG2.

Spoiler

There is nothing more for me to give you. All that's left for you to take is my life, by your own hand. One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle.
- The Boss, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

It doesn't matter who wins here. Our fight will continue. The loser will be liberated from the battlefield, and the survivor will live out the rest of his days as a soldier.
- Big Boss, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

[close]

talonmalon333

You guys know the cases that really old PS1 games came in? The longer ones?

These ones...

Spoiler
[close]

Instead of the newer ones...

Spoiler
[close]

Do you guys know when Sony dropped those big cases? I always thought they were nice looking.

Commode

The cardboard boxes or the jewel cases(which were similar to Sega CD games)?  I only have a few of the cardboard longboxes, stuff like Destruction Derby and A-Train, but I think they were discontinued after the first year or so.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Looks like Crash Bandicoot, which came out about a year after the PS1, used the newer case. So yeah, it probably was dropped within the first year.

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

So I want to finally get back and beat the final boss of Castlevania III in the near future. However, I have since lost my password for the final level. Should I just try to reclaim the password from online?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 18, 2015, 01:44:15 AM
So I want to finally get back and beat the final boss of Castlevania III in the near future. However, I have since lost my password for the final level. Should I just try to reclaim the password from online?
I would. There's no reason not to.