What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Quote from: Mustang on March 16, 2024, 02:14:51 PMGungrave: G.O.R.E
It's been years since I've played Overdose. I remember loving that game despite it being the way it was. That was my go to before I got into the Musou's. Here's the thing. G.O.R.E, if I can recall almost 20 years ago, plays worst than Overdose. I don't know if it's because I can't get used to the controls or if it's because of newer things being attempted, but something is definitely throwing me off. OR it can simply be another one of those "I did this already and not ready to go back to it" (combination of all 3? Who knows).

Having played Overdose a few years ago and watched a fair bit of retrospective vids about it, I can definitely say that G.O.R.E is at least better than OD on a pure gameplay/quality of life level. A lot less cheap bullshit, shield regenerations actually works as it should, and the devs actually listened to feedback and patched out most of the stupid platforming sections. Where G.O.R.E does falter compared to OD, I feel very strongly, is its style. The presentation, atmosphere, art-style, ost, everything just feels off. Not helped by the non-existent story (which while minimalist in the first game at least felt "complete" and had stylish presentation) and half-assed dub (literally no one from the anime or Overdose came back). It has a significantly less of a "late night adult swim anime" vibe the first two games had, and that was a big part of the series' charm. That, and the DMC-style character progression system just doesn't work for Gungrave, imo. Having to farm for red orbs/style points/whathaveyou was bad there, and it's bad here.

Warts and all though, I did enjoy G.O.R.E greatly, and that was with all the day 1 bullshit stage and boss designs. Even with all the stylistic changes, it still has that sense of "coolness" I look for in everything. As far as solo play sessions go, I prefer it over Musou, if only because most Musou games don't give me the feeling of playing a Terminator as directed by John Woo.

The first game is still the GOAT tho'.

Mustang

You win, for the Terminator feeling alone lol, because I can actually picture that.

Called myself taking a little break from the fighting games. Playing a lot of these single-players and deception games with the fam (often dabbling into Tekken 8 so I don't get left too far behind), buuuuuuut people are starting to call me out again wanting the smoke (go Street Profits lol). Nah, but they do want my help in trying to get better, which may or may not cause me to start going to my locals a bit more (especially with ED being released and Akuma's on the way)

Before I fully bounce off these games though, my nephew has challenged me to Pokemon and Mario. "Sigh" little midget challenging me to games I don't particularly care for. FINE! Better be happy I like him lol.

Eventually I'll pull out Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 to play to pay homage to Akira Toriyama as well. Been meaning to do that over the weekend but haven't been able to get to it.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

Persona 3 Reload
I put off for it for as long as I could, but having coming off of a 3rd playthrough of Shin Megami Tensei 5, nothing else was really holding my interest so I went ahead and fired this game up (now I'm holding out on Rise of the Ronin lol). Anyway, lot's of comparison's can be made to Persona 5. Hell, if you want to call this Persona 5-2, I wouldn't stop you. I'm in the beginning of August as of right now. The only issues I have right now, and there are 2 of them. The glaring one is Junpei Iori. In fairness, Ryuji is Junpei 2.0. Character's like these, the whole "dude-bro" bullshit, I don't have a high tolerance level for them. The activities involving them I just want nothing to do with any of it. Don't get me wrong, relatable stuff I get it, but whatever at the same time lol. The other issue is mostly a minor nitpick. The collectible items you get from Tartarus, most of it is lackluster and all breakable objects should have something in them at all times otherwise, I'm just going to skip them. Other than that I am enjoying the game.

Edit:

Finished my 1st playthrough. Kinda cheated a bit by going with the "bad" choice just to end it and start my 2nd playthrough. I already know I'm not going for 100%, but I did a no no as well. I never made Yoshitzune, so before I move on to the next game I gotta make him and see how overpowered I can make him in this game. He was definitely weaker in SMT5, especially when dealing with so many bosses who were immune to physical attacks. I also gotta see what the Reaper is like as well. I got scared the moment I heard that he pops up at random times and rushed through Tartarus without doing much exploration lol.

Fighting game related, I put them back on hold lol. I'll help train, but getting back into them, nah, still too much noise for me. Great conversations to be held, but not a lot of conversations going on lol. Bunch of bitching back and forth.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

Persona 3 Reload
Just about done with the 2nd playthrough. I'm basically at endgame again. This time I went with the "good" option and continued with the story.
Spoiler
Having seen the bad option. Seeing Aigis's reaction towards everything, you can't help but feel for her. Hell, having actually slowed everything down to actually read, I understand if you want to see both endings, but you gotta have ice in your veins to still carry out the bad option.
[close]
I did it my first playthrough because I do multiple playthroughs. In any case, I fought the Reaper. He's definitely easier here than in Persona 5, but this might also be because there's just so much in your arsenal to deal with him. I do wish you could swap party members in and out between battle or at the very least have some sort of way members you don't use gain EXP without having to rely on finding a certain chest and waiting for this room to pop up to boost 2 members. I'm also not sure if I like the idea of slash/fists/pierce strengths and weaknesses either. Other than that, it's a fine game. Not game of the year material, but it's fine. I may do 1 more playthrough because there are far more Persona's in this game and I still haven't gotten a chance to fuse for Yoshitzune. Not to mention, actually making cheap builds (I can't really start moving on until I start seeing damage reach breaking game status). Seeing what the party can do, I got nothing for them, but in terms of my personas, I got some ideas.

Edit:

Just finished everything. Didn't 100% it. Don't plan on it either. And then I found out Yoshitzune's not in the game (HOW DARE YOU). Anyway, I definitely have some issue's with this game having played it twice now, but my thoughts are jumbled because of the ending (boiiii. heartstrings) and it rattled my head. Definitely an impactful one because I'm still thinking about it.

Spoiler
I knew from way back the outcome of the story and while The Answer was made and whatnot. That being said, it tugged on my heartstrings quite a bit. I didn't break though. I thought for sure Koromaru was going to be the one to get me, and low and behold he was the closest. My beef with that ending is your crew's reaction. Like no one is in a state of shock and it rolls credits. Even afterwards, they all just standing there smiling.
[close]

Man, I need something light hearted after that. All that talk about the meaning of life and death. I play games to get away from these type of conversations lol.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol