Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

So there's more online rumors for new consoles, this time about Nintendo's service. This was posted by Two Tribes on Twitter, note that they are currently working on Toki Tori 2 for the Wii-U launch for the e-shop.

If true, DAY ONE.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Gamepolitics said it had it's doubts about this, and they haven't given me any reason not to trust their judgement. So, until this is confirmed I'm staying cautiously optimistic. Even if it's true, I can live with Nintendo alone. I've been feeling a lot guilty on letting the GameCube library slip me by anyway (I only have four games for it. I have a Wii too, but I unfortunatly haven't gotten around to play it more often yet.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Peanutbutter on March 29, 2012, 11:44:18 AMI have a Wii too, but I unfortunatly haven't gotten around to play it more often yet.
Well then! Step right up!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Potentially bad news for Anarchy Reigns, Bayonetta 2, and future English translations of the Yakuza series...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/30/sega-canceling-games-cutting-jobs.aspx

If Anarchy Reigns is cancelled, I will probably have to spend an entire day crying and eating ice cream in my bathtub.

Spark Of Spirit

That one might be too far along at this point to cancel since it's basically done and ready to be shipped, but I would be far more worried for Platinum's future output.

IMO, the Yakuza series needs a bit of a break. Sega needs to focus on something that actually has a shot at Western appeal. It's not coincidence that they've recently started going back to their old IPs as they've probably discovered that few of their remaining IPs actually appeal to both sides of the pond.

Easy solution; get Platinum to make a new Streets Of Rage with no gore, and the Yakuza team to work with Yu Suzuki on a Shenmue reboot (With a modest budget, the game would be a success), and expand Sonic Team so they can work on more than one project (like while the Generations team is making a follow up, have the Colors team make a new Ristar or Toe Jam & Earl), get Overworks working on different RPGs every year instead of sticking them with one series, and get Headstrong to make that Jet Set Radio Wii game they wanted to make (only for Wii U), and Sega would be on the right track.

Spark Of Spirit

Also, the most obvious.

MARIO & SONIC PLATFORMER WHY DO YOU NOT WANT OBVIOUS MILLIONS OF MONEY.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 30, 2012, 02:25:07 PM
That one might be too far along at this point to cancel since it's basically done and ready to be shipped, but I would be far more worried for Platinum's future output.
Activision shitcanned True Crime: Hong Kong and that game was almost completely finished. Same thing has happened before with other publishers, though no examples come to mind at the moment. As far as future Platinum Games goes, they're actually a third party developer with a five game contract with Sega (and Anarchy Reigns is the fifth), so they'll be fine unless they want to make sequels for their existing IPs.

IMO, the Yakuza series needs a bit of a break. Sega needs to focus on something that actually has a shot at Western appeal.
Yakuza 5 has been in development since before 4's release. It runs on a completely new engine and features a bunch of gameplay enhancements and tweaks, along with four cities instead of just one or two. One of the devs has said that "Yakuza 5 will be to the series what Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was to GTA, a massive expansion on the core concept that takes the franchise to new heights." Yakuza isn't going anywhere anytime soon (in Japan it's Sega's biggest franchise aside from Sonic, after all), but it's almost definitely done in the west.

QuoteEasy solution; get Platinum to make a new Streets Of Rage with no gore, and the Yakuza team to work with Yu Suzuki on a Shenmue reboot (With a modest budget, the game would be a success), and expand Sonic Team so they can work on more than one project (like while the Generations team is making a follow up, have the Colors team make a new Ristar or Toe Jam & Earl), get Overworks working on different RPGs every year instead of sticking them with one series, and get Headstrong to make that Jet Set Radio Wii game they wanted to make (only for Wii U), and Sega would be on the right track.
Sounds awesome, but I can't see any of that ever happening except for maybe Platinum rebooting Streets of Rage in 3D. Maybe.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 30, 2012, 02:34:12 PM
Also, the most obvious.

They really need to do this. Especially if this game went multi-plat, Sega would literally be swimming in cash after the fact.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If by multiplatform you mean on the Wii/WiiU and 3DS (having its own version of a crossover game like that), then yeah, that would probably likely if a game like that were ever made. But there's no way in hell Nintendo would allow any bit of Mario to show up on a console that's not their own. After all, the last time that ever happened was with the CDI games, and we all know how THOSE turned out. :>

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 30, 2012, 02:44:16 PM
Activision shitcanned True Crime: Hong Kong and that game was almost completely finished. Same thing has happened before with other publishers, though no examples come to mind at the moment. As far as future Platinum Games goes, they're actually a third party developer with a five game contract with Sega (and Anarchy Reigns is the fifth), so they'll be fine unless they want to make sequels for their existing IPs.
Good point, but Activision isn't quite Sega. Sega has never scrapped a game past the concept phase, personally I think this refers to future projects that were in planning and early stages.

IMO, the Yakuza series needs a bit of a break. Sega needs to focus on something that actually has a shot at Western appeal.
Yakuza 5 has been in development since before 4's release. It runs on a completely new engine and features a bunch of gameplay enhancements and tweaks, along with four cities instead of just one or two. One of the devs has said that "Yakuza 5 will be to the series what Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was to GTA, a massive expansion on the core concept that takes the franchise to new heights." Yakuza isn't going anywhere anytime soon (in Japan it's Sega's biggest franchise aside from Sonic, after all), but it's almost definitely done in the west.
Yeah, that all sounds great, but I still think they should make a franchise that can hit both sides of the pond. They're a talented bunch. But limiting sales isn't doing anything to help Sega.

QuoteEasy solution; get Platinum to make a new Streets Of Rage with no gore, and the Yakuza team to work with Yu Suzuki on a Shenmue reboot (With a modest budget, the game would be a success), and expand Sonic Team so they can work on more than one project (like while the Generations team is making a follow up, have the Colors team make a new Ristar or Toe Jam & Earl), get Overworks working on different RPGs every year instead of sticking them with one series, and get Headstrong to make that Jet Set Radio Wii game they wanted to make (only for Wii U), and Sega would be on the right track.
Sounds awesome, but I can't see any of that ever happening except for maybe Platinum rebooting Streets of Rage in 3D. Maybe.
Those were just ideas. Sega needs to actually build brands again, something they haven't done since the Dreamcast. When something is popular they build on it, if it has potential they build on it, if it bombs on one side of the world like 3 times in a row its time to move on to something that won't cripple the company.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 30, 2012, 02:34:12 PM
Also, the most obvious.

They really need to do this. Especially if this game went multi-plat, Sega would literally be swimming in cash after the fact.
By multi-plat you mean 3DS and Wii-U right? Because a game with Mario is not going to another system. :p

It's seriously easy, too.

Generations/Galaxy team - a Wii-U 3D platformer that looks like Colors and Galaxy got down and dirty. Using a mix of modern gameplay.

Colors/NSMB Wii team - a 3DS 2D hand drawn sprite platformer that looks like a combination of this:

There you go, two multi-million dollar games that everyone who has been alive since 1991 has wanted.

Foggle

I meant Wii-U (and/or Wii) with a possible PC port if they're feeling open-minded and an exclusive 3DS version a la Colors and Generations.

Maybe RGG Team will do a game with more mass appeal after Yakuza 5, but I doubt that. Sega is going to continue milking that series in Japan because it's one of the few that still makes them lots of money.

This news basically means that they're not going to be taking any risks for awhile. For now, we can probably expect a lot of Sonic, Total War, Aliens, and (Japan-exclusive) Yakuza sequels along with tons more ports of old games and not much else.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I am anticipating Aliens Colonial Marines and Sonic & Sega All Star Racing 2, so it's not all bad.

How Sega didn't get Kamiya to make a Shinobi game still floors me, though. Platinum is a talented bunch, but their IPs just don't sell. If Sega gave them the ammo, they could easily knock it out of the park.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 30, 2012, 03:22:26 PM
Well, I am anticipating Aliens Colonial Marines
Hell yeah, so am I, and I'm also eagerly anticipating any upcoming Sonic games. I'll probably import Yakuza 5, as well. I just don't think we can expect Sega to do anything original for awhile.

gunswordfist

quote author=Foggle link=topic=255.msg18603#msg18603 date=1333132830]
Potentially bad news for Anarchy Reigns, Bayonetta 2, and future English translations of the Yakuza series...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/30/sega-canceling-games-cutting-jobs.aspx

If Anarchy Reigns is cancelled, I will probably have to spend an entire day crying and eating ice cream in my bathtub.
[/quote]As long as you're fully clothed.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

gunswordfist

Definitely want another Vectorman, Comix Zone and Syphon Filter.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody