Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

They tend to not bother tweaking digital games that used add-ons in their original format, particularly with Nintendo 64 games. I imagine it would be the same here, and that trying to go to those levels will result in a message saying you need the proper add-on.

Foggle

Which Nintendo 64 games had add-ons...?

Also, N64 emulation is notoriously terrible on the Wii U (far worse than the Wii) for some reason. GBA emulation, meanwhile, is flawless.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 14, 2015, 12:41:10 PM
Which Nintendo 64 games had add-ons...?

Also, N64 emulation is notoriously terrible on the Wii U (far worse than the Wii) for some reason. GBA emulation, meanwhile, is flawless.

I mean things like memory cards. The Nintendo 64 controller had that slot for things which brought new features to games, and that's not acknowledged on the Virtual Console. Some Nintendo 64 Virtual Console games even come with a message stating the absence of whatever feature that is.

Though the fact that you mention how bad the Wii U's Nintendo 64 emulation makes me consider another possibility, that perhaps Nintendo 64 games are just hard to convert. Maybe there's just something complicated about those cartridges (which would make sense considering how developers abandoned Nintendo at that point, particularly compared to how easy it must have been to make PlayStation games with disks).

Foggle

I don't think N64 games are particularly hard to emulate, it's just that Nintendo's Wii U emulator for them is messed up (and, to be honest, the only real problem is that they're waaaaay too dark). They run perfectly on the original Wii, and even on the U's Wii mode IIRC.

talonmalon333

That's weird. Guess I should keep my Nintendo 64 games on the Wii Virtual Console menu when I transport them over to a Wii U (whenever I get that console)?

Foggle

Fatal Frame 5 confirmed digital-only. http://gematsu.com/2015/08/star-fox-zero-fatal-frame-wii-u-devils-third-more-release-dates-announced

Ugh ugh ugh. Between this and Yakuza 5, console manufacturers are really putting a damper on my excitement for some of my favorite series. Will still buy and (probably) love, of course, but this is not a trend I'm especially fond of.

Spark Of Spirit

The only thing that annoys me about digital-only games is that they don't lower the cost to offset the fact that there are no mass production fees for the discs, packaging, and store space. There is no reason these games should cost as much as what you can buy in store and can hold the physical product for the same cost.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The thing that annoys me about them is that they probably won't be playable 10 years from now. I do not trust Nintendo or Sony (or Microsoft) to keep these games readily available once their new systems launch.

Spark Of Spirit

If the rumor about the NX being an all-purpose store is right, then you probably will be able to play them next gen. I would only worry about physical copies.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 24, 2015, 01:34:23 PM
If the rumor about the NX being an all-purpose store is right, then you probably will be able to play them next gen. I would only worry about physical copies.
That makes me the opposite of hyped tbh.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Uh, here's hoping they don't have them available there? I guess?  :whuh:

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 24, 2015, 01:57:27 PM
Uh, here's hoping they don't have them available there? I guess?  :whuh:
No, I mean, I heard that the NX won't even have physical copies of games. Not the road I want Nintendo to go down.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I hope that isn't true. Gaming in general is largely moving in a direction that is really turning me off.  I'm not even speaking about the quality of the games being made these days, but rather of how changing hardware is forcing more and more games to be less appealing to me. I hate how these consoles are starting to put more emphasis on digital gaming and online integration, even for single-player games. I like online games from time to time, but I just want great off-line single-player experiences. Why do I need Internet for a game that I want to play alone, or even need Internet to BUY a game that I want? Why do I gave to pay additional fees for a game that I already bought, just for some unlockable weapons or costumes that used to be stuff that was already part of the game and that you earned by skill?

Just the concept of buying and owning a complete game has become ridiculously convoluted with some titles.