What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 07, 2015, 08:47:46 PM
I remember having read the first 7 or 8 issues of Deadpool a few years ago and didn't particularly have a hard time following it, but maybe it got a little more confusing later on.
Joe Kelly's run isn't particularly confusing, but Deadpool Classic begins with The Circle Chase and Sins of the Past, both of which are important to the character's backstory and expect you to have prior knowledge of X-Force. That said, SOTP is still fairly understandable on its own, it's just that TCC is the first thing included in the Classic collection outside of New Mutants 98, and is a terrible introduction to the character by itself IMO.

But, since you've already read some of Joe Kelly's run, just ignore everything I wrote and go with Deadpool Classic. ;)

QuoteEither way, I've wanted to read Cable & Deadpool for a while, now. Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't Cable supposed to be Cyclops' s son from the future?
Yep!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Kind of a minor thing, but while we're on the subject:

Both Cable and Deadpool have been featured as playable characters in the MvC games, but separately. Am I the onky obe whobthinjs that they should've both been included in the same game? It seems like a huge missed opportunity not to do so.

On another note, I happened to come across The Death of Captain America for a ridiculously cheap price. Now, since this has to do with the Civil War story-line, I fully expect it to suck, but I couldn't pass it up for how cheap it was, so I'll still at least have an amusing time picking it to pieces if it's bad.

That does however bring up the question: What are some good Captain America story-lines? I want to read more about the character, but don't have any clue where to start.

Also, on the DC side of things, I want to get into more stories involving Deathstroke/Slade Wilson.

gunswordfist

oh whoa, ensatsuken is actually reading cool comics.

yo, pharass, did you know that a new volume of criminal came out last month after all these years? it stars teeg lawless, father of my favorite criminal character, tracy lawless.

i also want to start brother lono and catch up on american vampire.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

i think i heard death of captain america is good but don't quote me. i rerecommend full cycle and identity crisis, even though identity crisis is rage inducing among dc fans for some reason. i also want to check out the teen titans/x-men crossover which i hear is good and deathstroke rocks in it based on the scans i saw. oh and deathstroke makes a decent appearance in a judd winick green arrow comic when oliver is mayor. any deathstroke story by winick is probably a winner. and judas contract is said to be great as well.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 07, 2015, 09:17:32 PM
That does however bring up the question: What are some good Captain America story-lines? I want to read more about the character, but don't have any clue where to start.
Everyone I've ever asked has said that the run by Brubaker, which begins with the Winter Soldier story, is one of the best runs of Cap there is, so you can start their. I've also heard good things about what Englehart did.[/quote]

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 07, 2015, 09:56:53 PM
even though identity crisis is rage inducing among dc fans for some reason.
Well, it is pretty stupid, so that might have something to do with it.

gunswordfist

VLordGTZ

Today, I finished reading InuYasha.  While it was not on the same level as Maison Ikkoku, it was still pretty good, especially in the later half of the series.  The manga was also way better than the original anime (which I found to be incredibly slow and boring).  Overall, the series was better than I expected it to be, and I'm glad that I finally read it after many years of procrastination. 

The Shadow Gentleman

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Interestingly, Death of Captain America is by Brubaker, so maybe it'll actually be good despite the Civil War involvement.

gunswordfist

oh yeah, he co-created criminal as well and wrote immortal ironfist...i might have to check that comic out myself.

Avaitor

I own most of the Korvac Saga. It's among my favorite Avengers arc, and worth a look.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

All this talk reminds me I do want to try out more superhero comics. I was looking into reading those essential collections I've seen around to start with, and then other move onto other storylines I heard good things about.

Markness

I am trying to read more comics, especially ones from the 90s since they remind me of better times in my life. Does anyone here know of some good 90s Marvel and DC tpbs?

On the manga side of the spectrum, I am starting on Sumomomo Momomo. I like Magi and want to see what Ohtaka's first work is like. I also plan on reading Flame of Recca sooner or later.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Recca is a decent manga. For me it never quite reached the heights of greatness, though.

In terms of manga, what kinds of stuff do you usually prefer?

Anyways, as for comics, I know next to nothing about Marvel or DC either, but Knightfall, which I'm reading right now, is from the 90's and in TPB,  and so far it's amazing.

It has just occurred to me that I have NEVER seen Bane done this well in any adaptation, not even in the animated series. I liked him well enough in other mediums, but this is the first time he's ever truly impressed me as a villain.

gunswordfist

hmmm, knightfall does have my favorite bane. i can recommend superman comics to any who is interested. i am drawing blanks on other superhero comics right now for some reason. hmm, astonishing x-men, matt fraction invincible ironman, thor the mighty avenger, annihilation and planet hulk are all mostly beginner friendly. annihilation starts out slow on earth and has focus on some nobody little girl in volume 1 and constantly changes art throughout the 4 volumes so it might be a bit jarring to get into.