Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not sure exactly how it could go later, but I do applaud them for getting it with the demo at least. Maybe I'll pick it up used down the road depending on post-release word of mouth.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

FFS, they are taking away the best weapon switch system ever from Max Payne? I hate this 2/3 weapon limit shit. If the player is too OCD to carry more than that, they let them have that handicap as an option.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now that I'm a fan of RE4, I'll try to play other games in the series for story purposes, even if they do have tank controls. I really am hopeful of this game's gameplay, though. I think that RE4 is easily the 2nd best TPS game that I have ever played, and if that's not saying enough, its one of the best games ever made, period. If this game is even half as good as RE4 was for me when it comes to gameplay and atmosphere, then I believe that it'll be worth picking up.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 19, 2012, 05:01:25 PM
Now that I'm a fan of RE4, I'll try to play other games in the series for story purposes, even if they do have tank controls. I really am hopeful of this game's gameplay, though. I think that RE4 is easily the 2nd best TPS game that I have ever played, and if that's not saying enough, its one of the best games ever made, period. If this game is even half as good as RE4 was for me when it comes to gameplay and atmosphere, then I believe that it'll be worth picking up.
The "plot" in Resident Evil (if you can call it that) is terrible, but yes, I recommend playing the other games. You should play REmake, 2, and 3 for the awesome gameplay and Code Veronica for the story. You can skip 0 and 5.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Out of curiosity, how long would you say it takes to complete the average old-school RE game (the ones with tank controls). I know that RE4 was pretty lengthy lasting at around 15-20 hours (more like 20 for me since I liked to explore a lot), but I've heard that other games in the series are typically only half as long on their first time through, at around 8-10 hours each (which, to be fair, is probably a good thing for me since it'd take me way too long to play through all of them if they were as long and robust as RE4 is).

Foggle

For comparison's sake, an approximation of my first run times for each game:

Resident Evil (Chris): 5 hours
REmake (Jill): 8 hours
Resident Evil 0: 8 hours
Resident Evil 2 (Leon A, Claire B): 7 hours
Resident Evil 3: 6 hours
Code Veronica: 12 hours
Resident Evil 4 (Leon story only): 18 hours
Resident Evil 5 (no DLC): 12 hours

Some of these may be inflated due to leaving the game running while eating dinner or something. It's worth noting that gameplay time for RE 1 and REmake will increase anywhere from 50-75% should you choose to run through the game again with the other character. Their campaigns aren't too different, but they're just dissimilar enough to increase replay value. Claire A, Leon B in RE 2 is the same way.

Foggle

Watched that trailer a couple of times and I think RE 6 is going to have three (four?) different styles of gameplay (one for each character).

Leon's story will probably be like Resident Evil 4.
Chris' story will probably be like Gears of War.
The new guy's story will probably be like Devil May Cry.
Apparently Ada will be in the game and have her own story, as well. Maybe hers will be closer to the series' roots?

If I am proven correct on all accounts, this could be the absolute greatest game of the current console generation.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Having DMC-like gameplay in an RE game? I know that DMC spawned from what was originally supposed to be RE3 before Kamiya deviated with that project and turned it into its own game, so DMC's routes technically are in RE, so maybe it would be kind of fitting for some DMC influence to find its way into an RE game. But, even so, it sounds like too much of a stretch to me. I can see melee-based combat an an RE game working just fine, but in a more toned-down and realistic sort of sense rather than DMC's completely over-the-top style of combat. Then again, I could imagine RE pulling something like that off if you were playing as a character with superhuman abilities like Wesker, but I have no idea about any other characters in the series besides Leon, and even with him I only know about his exploits in RE4, so that isn't really that much to go on.

Foggle

I don't know, that bald guy was doin' some crazy Dante-like shit in the trailer. Then again, all the cutscenes/QTEs feature that kinda' stuff in Code Veronica/4/5, so his gameplay might actually be nothing like that.

But really, a skilled combination of classic RE, RE 4, and DMC in a single game would be my personal GOTY no questions asked.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I doubt that they'd ever go back to the tank controls or any other perspective besides the now popular over-the-shoulder view, but maybe they can at least evoke the mood and atmosphere from the classic RE games, and make part of the gameplay more about survival and puzzle solving, with combat only being a last resort due to limited weapons and a scarce supply of ammo. That would be good enough for me, at least.

BTW, I just thought of this, but I hope that this game doesn't go the route of modern TPS games in terms of weapons. You should be able to carry as many weapons as you can hold in your inventory (so I hope you aren't limited to a set number), and I would like each weapon to have multiple upgrades for them. I'm sure the game will stick to stuff like that, but I just get a little weary of something like that happening since it seems to happen in almost every modern shooter game these days. I mean, even other types of action games which have nothing to do with shooters are somehow succumbing to this rule, which really pisses me off (just look at what the fuck they did to weapons in Ninja Gaiden 3, for example). As long as Capcom doesn't fuck that up, I'm sure the rest of the game will turn out just fine.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 19, 2012, 11:32:53 PM
Well, I doubt that they'd ever go back to the tank controls or any other perspective besides the now popular over-the-shoulder view, but maybe they can at least evoke the mood and atmosphere from the classic RE games, and make part of the gameplay more about survival and puzzle solving, with combat only being a last resort due to limited weapons and a scarce supply of ammo. That would be good enough for me, at least.

BTW, I just thought of this, but I hope that this game doesn't go the route of modern TPS games in terms of weapons. You should be able to carry as many weapons as you can hold in your inventory (so I hope you aren't limited to a set number), and I would like each weapon to have multiple upgrades for them. I'm sure the game will stick to stuff like that, but I just get a little weary of something like that happening since it seems to happen in almost every modern shooter game these days. I mean, even other types of action games which have nothing to do with shooters are somehow succumbing to this rule, which really pisses me off (just look at what the fuck they did to weapons in Ninja Gaiden 3, for example). As long as Capcom doesn't fuck that up, I'm sure the rest of the game will turn out just fine.
That's not how RE works.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not up on my Resident Evil, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it works. You can only hold as much as your inventory/briefcase will let you. Not simple "Two weapons because every other game has this limit" like pretty much every game nowadays.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

While you can technically hold as many guns as you want to, you'll pretty much only have room for the pistol, shotgun, and possibly one other weapon in the older games if you want to save room for ammo/quest items/ink ribbons/herbs. Of course, the scattered chests make this a lot less frustrating. 4 is slightly different in that you can carry a fuckton of stuff once you fully upgrade your briefcase, and in 5 IIRC you can only hold four guns because the game says so (though you can also force Sheva to play pack mule in single-player).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 20, 2012, 09:16:07 AM
That's not how RE works.

How is that not how RE works if EVERY main RE game up until now has allowed you to do that (well, I haven't tried all of them, but every one that I have tried has allowed that). In RE 0, 1, 4, and 5 which are the ones that I have at least tried (well, I beat RE4, so I definitely know what I'm talking about with that game), your weapon limit is basically what you can manage to fit in your inventory (well, in earlier RE games you can also store some weapons in chests in save rooms, which you pretty much have to do in order to make room for more items that you need), along with items and other stuff that you need to use. There was never any 2-4 weapon limit of how many weapons you can hold at one time, though, so I have no idea what you're talking about.