Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, Apparently Crytek is developing a new TimeSplitters game for the next-gen consoles. If this is old news then I must be really out of the loop because I only just found out about this today....:shakeshakeshake:

Spark Of Spirit

They've been teasing it since they bought Free Radical.

Timesplitters 4 was teased since this gen began, so it only makes sense that it should launch on the next gen systems. Here's hoping they don't "modern" this up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on June 03, 2011, 01:05:02 AM
Quote from: Foggle on June 03, 2011, 12:46:50 AM
Duke Nukem Forever demo: Very short, but very fucking awesome. Level design is reminiscent of the best levels from Half-Life 2 and Halo 1. Tons of fun!
:swoon:

Pumped!
Too good to be true!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

TimeSplitters 2 was last gen's best FPS. Hopefully 4 will live up to its hype

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 17, 2011, 10:39:39 AM
TimeSplitters 2 was last gen's best FPS. Hopefully 4 will live up to its hype

Correction: F.E.A.R. was last gen's best FPS. TimeSplitters 2 would be somewhere in the top 10, though.

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from Game Informer's interview with Itagaki on Devil's Third:

QuoteQ: Will it be as action-heavy as your work on Ninja Gaiden, or will there be more puzzles and other activities to break up the action?

A: Do you think shooters are lacking any action elements?

Q: No, I don't think they're lacking. Call of Duty and others keep up that kind of constant "action, action, action" pacing.

A: But those are all preset actions, right?

Q: Yes, they usually feature a lot of scripted actions.

A: The action that you're talking about, these are all passive kinds of actions. Preset, scripted actions. But what I'm talking about is the kind of action that you can create voluntarily. You can actually create the action.

So, basically what he's saying is he's not creating a movie shooter like CoD, but an actual game with user input and (knowing him, I would assume) fairly intelligent and aggressive AI. FUCK YES! I am fully confident that this game is headed in the right direction already. :thumbup:

....Of course if you read the rest of that interview, he also still says that he likes the CoD series and plans to buy Modern Warfare 3 when it comes out....but as long as his game isn't like CoD, then he can play whatever the fuck he wants to in his spare time. ;)

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 17, 2011, 12:23:22 PM
A: The action that you're talking about, these are all passive kinds of actions. Preset, scripted actions. But what I'm talking about is the kind of action that you can create voluntarily. You can actually create the action.
Fucking awesome. I love Itagaki even more now.

Which Game Informer was this in? I have the one with DarkSiders 2 on the cover, but I didn't see this interview anywhere. :( Is that not the latest edition?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its actually from their website. You can view the full interview here.

He also gives his brief thoughts on Ninja Gaiden 3 and where that series is headed.

Foggle

Hilarious interview! My favorite parts:
"I want to show you something.

Itagaki calls on a co-worker to stand

In a current shooter, you can shoot him, right? Like this. [Mocks aiming a gun] Or you can shoot him like that, right? [Mocks aiming a gun while ducking] Well of course you can do that in Devil's Third. You can do this too, right? [Mocks shooting the man in the rear] Or you can use the knife to cut him too, right? [Mocks slicing] But that's all you can do so far. In Devil's Third, you can do this. [Mocks a variety of slicing and striking motions] You can use knives...really, really powerful. You can use that to chop off their head. [Mocks a decapitation, followed by a fountain of blood] You can do close-quarters combat. The way you fight is different than if you're far away. Did I really make sense to you?"

"This isn't lip service, OK? But I really liked Saints Row by THQ. It really looks cool. The silliness of it all looks crazy, and I love it. I loved the trailer, too. There's a guy in the elevator who's smoking a cigarette. He's walking with two girls, and he hands off his cigarette and kills the guy. Then he gets his cigarette back. I love that guy. I love the way he is. I think I'm gonna try to be like him someday."

Spark Of Spirit

I'm glad there are some people out there that know the difference between shooters.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you think that's funny, you should see some of Itagaki's old interviews when they caught him drunk (yeah, that's happened more than once before). :D

gunswordfist

That Saint's Row trailer is badass. I am about to go watch it again

Spark Of Spirit

The El Shaddai demo is up on XBL right now.

It's pretty good as of now. It has potential that I hope the full game can unleash. There's hack and slash with one button gameplay, but you can steal other enemy's weapons (there's only two in the demo, but one is a sword and the other some kind of projectile) during the fight, which adds a fun layer to the simplicity. Oddly enough, there is a lot of platforming in the third dimension so far, I have no idea how much more complex the game will get with it.

The weird part is that it shifts to pure 2D at segments focusing on 2D platforming, though you can attack here there were no enemies here so I couldn't see if combat works well in 2D.

So far, it's an interesting game with a lot of fun ideas. What will make or break the game is if the full game expands upon the concepts the demo has. If it does, then this could be quite the great game. Full 3D and 2D combat and platforming around a simple system that could either get monotonous or engaging depending on how well they are utilized.

I will be keeping my eye on this one.

gunswordfist