Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I'm seeing the film next Tuesday and was thinking of doing a review of it, but if you'd like to write one yourself you're more than welcome to.  :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm hoping to get a chance to see the film, but I'll probably be too busy.

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great job, us! :joy:

It really is a fun movie, though, and the best DBZ movie by far. Though, that's not really saying much in and of itself.

It's just too bad that Super will most likely kill the new life that BOG and ROF granted to this franchise.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not sure why, but every few months I keep getting a new comment or two on this article: http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=2538#comment-52680

Looking back on it, I think my writing sucks (as does that of my most recent write-ups, probably), but people seem to like the article. I think it has something to do with more people discovering this classic over time, and there not being a whole lot of people who blog about it, understandably.

It does make me want to try and improve, as well as to revisit the series in future articles. I do plan on giving the manga another re-read after finishing my current re-read of Dragon Ball, so perhaps after that I might be able to come up with something else to write about it.

Spark Of Spirit

I find a lot more people talking about it nowadays than they did even five years ago. Which is a good thing. A lot of older shows sort of slide into the abyss outside of hardcore fans.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, older shows like DBZ, YYH, Sailor Moon and so on, which have had tons of over-seas exposure, still hold pretty sizable fan-bases after all of these years. It's more peculiar for a series like AnJ, which is incredibly obscure among English-speaking anime fans, to have drawn this much attention, but perhaps if more people show interest in it via word of mouth then it may have a shot at receiving a much-deserved English publication. It's still avery obscure entity among the anime and manga community in North America at this point, though, so the chances of it becoming much more popular are very slim, especially due to its age.

Spark Of Spirit

You'd probably have to get one of the smaller companies currently kickstarting Tezuka and older classics interested in it. I know I'd kickstart it in a heartbeat if someone needed the help to officially release it. Sort of like the Skull Man series from the 90s, it's a series I would buy ahead of time if it is the only way I could get my hands on them.

I think a lot of the references popping up in series like Bakuman and Food Wars and countless others have done a lot for its exposure overseas. Not to mention Crunchyroll getting the second series (still waiting for the first) to stream. It feels like its more popular now than it has been in a long time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Rather than age, the biggest barrier to publishing AnJ is it's length. 20 volumes is simply too long a commitment for a company like DMP or Vertical to give a chance on, and a kickstarter to support such an endeavor would have too high a price. Even Tezuka kickstarters can't raise much more than $30,000 at best, and that's just to publish 2 or 3 books. A 20 volume series would need at least six times that amount to get fully published, and as the massive Tezuka kickstarter DMP attempted a while back that utterly, totally failed showed, there just isn't enough of a market or audience to raise that much money from classic anime/manga fans in a limited timeframe.  :(

Daxdiv

My sides during the entire article.

Dr. Insomniac

We're doing 12 Days of Anime where we post an article every day until Christmas discussing interesting moments in the medium or old shows we only caught up with this year.

http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=5074

Spark Of Spirit

Togashi's biggest writing problem is probably in endings. In YYH he didn't have to have them, since all the arcs essentially go into the next one, but when he had to write one for the series, it was a steaming turd that had to be saved by the anime staff. The only ending he's written in HxH was the one at the end of the Chimera Ant arc which makes up for the bizarre weakness of that arc being the start of it (the beginnings of his arcs are usually really strong) but that's really the first thing he's ever really ended in HxH. I'm also not sure if he can properly end this thing since it's gotten so unwieldy over the years.

Also, glad I never heard of Isuca before. Sounds like everything I dislike about shonen in this one. Though I'm pretty sure that image is from another show.  ;)

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 28, 2015, 08:57:10 AM
Also, glad I never heard of Isuca before. Sounds like everything I dislike about shonen in this one. Though I'm pretty sure that image is from another show.  ;)
No, it's from Isuca.