Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 22, 2012, 06:25:54 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 22, 2012, 03:17:03 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 20, 2012, 04:09:59 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 19, 2012, 10:17:51 PM
The more I hear people talking about how stuff like Phineas & Ferb and Gravity Falls aren't proper Disney cartoons, the more I wish said people could be shot in the face. Shit like Ducktales and Goof Troop are gone, stop acting like Disney has to mirror what it did back when you were a fucking kid. TV shouldn't have to conform to one fucking time period.
Amen. Those shows are from decades ago.
And?

I Love Lucy is still a better sitcom than Whitney.

The thing is, there's always more older stuff than newer stuff, so older stuff is always going to be better. There's just more there, that's all.
And you wouldn't expect someone to make a new age Lucy, which was my point.
No, I would just expect someone to take the core of what worked then and update it for modern times.

Which is the way its supposed to work.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

What I'm saying is shows shouldn't ne criticized just for being different. I don't even know how good these new Disney shows are.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 22, 2012, 06:57:30 PM
What I'm saying is shows shouldn't ne criticized just for being different. I don't even know how good these new Disney shows are.
You're right, they shouldn't.

I was just trying to emphasize that not everyone who likes older things likes them "because they were old". I think DuckTales is one of the best cartoons ever made (Heck AR does too, we voted it #21 on our list), and  would watch it over many cartoons nowadays.

But that doesn't mean I think everything old is better. Would I watch Quack Pack over The Brave & The Bold? Not a chance.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, we voted it #23 on our list. We gave the #21 spot to South Park. I'm not sure, but this is the 2nd time I've seen someone make that mistake. Avaitor also said it was at #21, but I guess I'm the only one who remembers the actual placements for our list. :sly:

Anyways, I was just nitpicking there because I'm bored and have nothing better to do.

Spark Of Spirit

I wonder why we keep making that error.

Eh, it's #21 in my heart.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 22, 2012, 07:58:48 PM
You have no heart.
No, he actually put his heart in a sunken chest in order to gain immortality, as is common procedure for AR mods.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 22, 2012, 07:59:56 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 22, 2012, 07:58:48 PM
You have no heart.
No, he actually put his heart in a sunken chest in order to gain immortality, as is common procedure for AR mods.

Avaitor

I thought I mentioned this here before, but I think when all is said and done, Alan Menken is a slight bit overrated. He's made plenty of great songs and contributed to a lot of classic scores, but he isn't the end all, be all of music at Disney's studios. It seems like whenever they announce a new animated film and he isn't contributing to the score that it's sacrilege, but it's not like every DAC's soundtrack since The Little Mermaid has sucked without him.

The Lion King has the most memorable and popular soundtrack of all of Disney's movies, and he had nothing to do with it. He didn't work on Tarzan either, which I still consider to be the best thing Phil Collins has ever done. And I still say that Princess and the Frog's score is better than Tangled's, which is the one he actually worked on. I'd even say that it and Enchanted sounded like they were, *gasp*, phoned in.

Fans are crying afoul at how he most likely isn't working on Frozen, and I don't see why it's such a big deal. It'll probably turn out fine without him.

Also, to bring back an old discussion on here, Gravity Falls isn't very Disney-esque, but whatever, it's fun. A hell of a lot more fun than P&F.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on August 06, 2012, 01:12:49 PM
The Lion King has the most memorable and popular soundtrack of all of Disney's movies

I agree with this statement. Though, then again if I really thought about it I would say that personally I'd tie it with The Hunchback of Notre-Dame as my 2 favorite Disney soundtracks for animated feature-length films.

Spark Of Spirit

Gravity Falls feels very Canadian to me. Other than Great Uncle Stan, who seems a bit too stock 'greedy old guy' to me though he does have some good lines and moments.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not sure if I already said this one on this thread before, but after recently having tried to get into Sym-Bionic Titan, I have come to the conclusion that I find Genndy Tartakovsky to be really overrated. A lot of people seem to love his work, but I've seen all 4 of his major works (well, I haven't seen more than half of SBT, but I've seen enough to know that I just don't care for it), and I've only ever liked 1 of them, with that one being Dexter's Laboratory. To be fair, there is a key difference between DL and his other stuff, in that DL is first and foremost a comedy, which by any indication of this cartoon I think that Tartakovsky is quite good at, though it could have just been a fluke or the result of being paired with good writers for that particular show.

However, Samurai Jack, Star Wars: Clone Wars, and Sym-Bionic Titan are decisively more serious shows, and I just never got the appeal of any of them, yet they have all enjoyed much critical success and have tons of adoring fans (Samurai Jack even won an Emmy at one point, if I'm not mistaken), and I just can't see the appeal in any of them. They all have Taratkovsky's trademark paper-thin character models and general art-design style going for them (which honestly has only grown more grating on me over the years), but other than that, I don't see anything else that's really that good about them. They don't have great animation or action scenes or great writing in terms of characters and story (IMO). I don't see anything interesting about them and when I went back and tried to watch some of those shows, I don't even feel like they had great voice acting going for them, with a few exceptions here and there. I don't know what it is, but something about Taratkovsky's more serious shows just feels so cold, empty, and emotionless to me, and I just can't get behind them (and believe me, I've tried).

Sorry for the rant of sorts, but this has just really been bugging me because I feel like the only person who just doesn't "get" Tartakovsky's work. Maybe one of you guys can at least explain the appeal of it to me.

Foggle

For what it's worth, I'm the same way with Miyazaki. But y'all already knew that.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 08, 2012, 03:25:45 PM
(Samurai Jack even won an Emmy at one point, if I'm not mistaken)
Yep. Clone Wars did too.

With Tartakovsky, I think he's more invested in recreating his favorite action movies and mecha cartoons rather than developing character and story. I do think that his cartoons have great coloring, but I do agree that his designs are tiresome.

Actually, as much as I love Dexter, PPG and the like, I strongly dislike their art design. The UPA look isn't cool, it's just cheap-looking. I love the writing, but there's a reason that Ed, Edd n' Eddy was my favorite Cartoon Cartoon- for one, it doesn't look like Gerald McBoing Boing or Mr. Magoo.

Also, I'm like this with the Coens. The only work of theirs that I enjoy is The Big Lebowski, which also happens to be a comedy.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/