Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

SatAM's okay. All of what EK said is true, but I give it credit for having some solid stories and decent atmosphere.

I honestly think that the comics did most of what the show wanted to better though. But even that's a pain to read more often than not.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I always was more of a fan of the cartoony Sonic than the SatAM one. I just found Sonic and everyone in that cartoon more fun and enjoyable to watch in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Then again, I always liked Scratch and Grounder as a kid.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Avaitor on August 13, 2012, 10:05:44 PM
SatAM's okay. All of what EK said is true, but I give it credit for having some solid stories and decent atmosphere.

This. As someone who loved the show as a kid, it doesn't really hold up, but the concept and atmosphere were great. But it is not worse than Sonic X.

Comics have been better since Ian Flynn took over writing. Lately I think it's been in a rut (hence why I stopped subscribing; quit trying to outdo the epicness of each previous arc because you keep falling flat on your face) but it's nowhere near as unbearably bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Unless you're talking post-Sonic Adventure adaptation to issue #159. That's the shit era.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To the comics actually attempt to adapt the story of the classic Genesis-era games? If they did that, then I'd be interested in reading those story arcs.

Nel_Annette

#226-229 cover Sonic 1 and 2 in a really awkward dimensional shift, with the SatAm cast along for the ride. Maybe you'd like it as a newcomer. Some people (i.e. me) didn't because that dimensional shift interrupted a massive cliffhanger, and the payoff was crap. I believe #13 was a very basic adaption of Sonic 3, as Robotnik tricks Knuckles similar to how he does in the game. The Sonic Quest miniseries features the Death Egg drowning Angel Island, but that's about it. #6 covered Spinball, though it was in the comic's early goofy days, and there was a Triple Trouble special comic back in the 90s.

Most of the game adaptations nowadays specifically state that they are non-comic canon, seem to have been written in a rush and usually end with "play the game to find out how it ends hurr!"

If you want a really cool adaption of Sonic 1, read Sonic X #10 and 11. Eggman traps the group in a virtual reality thing, and they basically have to "play" their way through Sonic 1, even fighting an Eggman simulation that uses the same boss designs. That was far more interesting than what the comic I mentioned above did.

Eddy

I like Sonic SatAM but it's mostly due to nostalgia of watching it Saturday mornings as a kid. Truth be told, the series has not aged very well and feels very dated with all of its mondo-90s lingo. I think it's an alright cartoon but not worthy of being called one of the greatest of all time like so many Sonic fans seem to think it is.

To be honest, through Netflix, I've had more fun rewatching The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. It's more goofy, silly, and pretty freaking weird but it feels a lot more like how a Sonic cartoon should feel. The games were bright, colorful, and cheerful much like AoStH. Not drab, dark, and dreary like SatAM.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

AoStH Robotnik is the greatest incarnation of that guy ever. Every single line of his is gold.

Rynnec

I think SatAM Robotnik is a tad overrated.  Other than a metal arm and being voiced by Jim Cummings, he really didn't have anything going for him, and his characterization pretty much boiled down to "Generic Evil Overlord #30485340". Yet, people tend to praise him for being "dark and serious" or whatever. I find Eggbotnik's other incarnations to be more entertaining to watch.

I also don't find Azula all that great of a villain either (and even more overrated). I usually love the "evil manipulator" archetype, but Azula came across as more irritating than clever or sinister to me.  And she just came off as way too cliche.

Kiddington

IMO Jim Cummings does a great job with SatAM Robotnik's voice (he can turn the most average of dialogue into something completely sinister), but that's about the only thing memorable when it comes to that rendition of the character. Otherwise, yeah, that version is pretty boring.

...and yeah, count me in as another who liked AoSTH more than SatAM, as a whole. A lot of the jokes are incredibly corny, and it's definitely a product of it's time (both Sonic shows just ooze everything 90's, really) but it still has its moments, and when I last watched a bit of it, it actually doesn't date quite as badly as I thought it would.

I should buy the DVD's one of these days, now that I'm reminded of it. You know, just because.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't really like either show, though I never watched SatAM when I was a kid, but I did watch AoStH. For what its worth, though, I thought that the Notalgia Critic's review of the former show to be overpraising it way too much, whereas he went way too hard on the latter show, as its not nearly as crappy as he made it out to be (I mean, its not Mario Super Show or Captain N level bad).

Eddy

I actually like The Super Mario Bros. Super Show because it's so bad. And Harvey Atkin was great as Koopa/Bowser.

I am not ashamed to own the entire series on DVD. I also have SatAM. I guess I should get AoStH too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I suppose I can see how you'd like it in that vein. I could at least see the live-action segments as having "so bad its good" quality, but I guess the animated portions just didn't do it for me, either way.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on August 15, 2012, 12:00:26 AM
I think SatAM Robotnik is a tad overrated.  Other than a metal arm and being voiced by Jim Cummings, he really didn't have anything going for him, and his characterization pretty much boiled down to "Generic Evil Overlord #30485340". Yet, people tend to praise him for being "dark and serious" or whatever. I find Eggbotnik's other incarnations to be more entertaining to watch.

I also don't find Azula all that great of a villain either (and even more overrated). I usually love the "evil manipulator" archetype, but Azula came across as more irritating than clever or sinister to me.  And she just came off as way too cliche.
Azula is extremely overrated and cliched, just like Katara.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on August 15, 2012, 12:38:23 PM
Avatar is cliche in general.  :awesome:
Well, duh. It is basically the result of Mike and Bryan binging on a ton of anime and deciding to take the best parts for their own creation.