Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: Rynnec on August 29, 2012, 09:57:04 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on August 29, 2012, 09:55:02 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 09:50:47 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on August 29, 2012, 09:49:23 PM
MY ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT IS THAT RADITZ NEVER BECAME A SUPER SAIYAN  :light:
And we never saw Nappa turn into a Super Saiyan 3.

Awwwww yeeeeeaaaaah

Come to think of it, I still can't believe this isn't an option in the games yet. I mean, IT WOULD ACTUALLY BE A REASON FOR ME TO BUY ONE AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T DONE IT.

Well, they kinda sorta acknowledged the idea in one of BT3's menu's.

Yeah, but it's still not a playable option.

So, you know, who cares?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Nel on August 29, 2012, 09:24:23 PM
Last week I got all 5 seasons of Dragonball on DVD. I remember it being a charming show when it aired and always wanted to see it again. Despite my fond childhood memories of DBZ, I will not be getting it on DVD. You guys already gave about 4 pages on why.  ;) That said, I still like Faulconer's soundtrack and Cell's character design.

And GT... fuck GT. I remember when that was first getting released and my friends and I were really excited for it. Biggest disappointment ever. I think what finally did it for me was when Goku off-handedly remarked that the mook he was fighting was stronger than Majin Buu. Like it's not a big deal. Sweet-merciful fuck, how would that guy breathe without destroying the planet he's on, let alone fight Goku at that strength?
GT did suck but Baby saga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Buu saga.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 09:28:02 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 08:03:37 PM
:wth: I liked it better when you liked the ending of the Cell saga with how Goku stayed dead and let his son be his successor.

I still stand by that opinion that it would have been a great ending to the arc to have Goku die for good and have Gohan be his successor. In this case I'm saying that when I think about it, I think that Goku's self-sacrifice should have ended up working, with him transporting himself along with Cell to a different location just as Cell was about to self-destruct. Gohan wouldn't need to be a Super Saiyan by that point in time, but it could have been made that he would receive more training from Piccolo and such to become Earth's next big defender to replace Goku, and if an evil great enough forced him to, then he could become a Super Saiyan when necessary (just like how Goku did against Frieza).

Then again, the whole transformation into a Super Saiyan was never really indicated to have to do with strength or training. Up until the Cell arc, it had to do with a Saiyan falling into a an enraged emotional state so deep that it forced the transformation on them. That said, the Buu arc pretty much destroyed that logic once Goten and Trunks could easily transform into Super Saiyans at the ages of 7 and 8, respectively.
Buu saga...God, I HATE the Buu saga.

Anyway, Gohan at that point was not one who wanted to sit around and do nothing when there was a threat. Hell, at the start of the Namek saga, he should up to Chichi and said he wanted to go to a very distant planet to find the dragonballs to help his friends. So instead of Goku telling Gohan to sit in a corner, it was better for them to now have Goku want to have Gohan succeed him. That worked wonders when it came to training him in the hyperbolic chamber.

Nel_Annette

I think the thing that really bugged me about the Baby arc is that they were using their good animation studio for several of the episodes, except the one where they actually beat the guy. Even as a kid who knew nothing about the animation industry, I could easily tell when they were using "the good animation" or "the bad animation". I could probably ask Jacob about this and get a definite answer, but DBZ and DBGT always seemed to use about three different animation studios. You just think that they'd use the best one on the episode where the major villain is actually defeated.

I mean, I don't care now (it really isn't that big of a deal), but as a kid I bitched and bitched about that, no matter how much my friends didn't care.  :D

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 09:49:35 PM
BTW, With all of this DBZ talk, I just remembered that there's a theatrical anime movie that's supposed to be coming out which apparently covers a point in time from the 10-year gap between the Buu arc of DBZ and the epilogue ending.

Its not just another special and its apparently being advertised and billed as a big deal to DBZ fans in Japan. I'm honestly not expecting much from this, but I'm still just curious enough to keep updated onto what the plot of this movie will be.
I'm calmly really excited about this.  .3. Just give Future Trunks some good screentime and make it as good as Fusion Reborn and I'll be happy. I'm not going to lie, watching a DBZ movie in a theater would be something I'd really love.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 10:16:32 PM

The Buu saga is terrible in the anime. Once again, its just a flat-out bad adaptation and here they made the mistake of playing out the arc so damn seriously. In the manga it has a very comedic tone akin to the early days of Dragon Ball and it brings the series back to its routes of "magic" and "mysticism" rather than the science-fiction approach that DBZ took with outer-space and alien races and whatnot. In the anime, its incredibly drawn out with shit-tons of filler and they don't translate any of Toriyama's humor.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 10:22:44 PM
I'm calmly really excited about this.  .3. Just give Future Trunks some good screentime and make it as good as Fusion Reborn and I'll be happy. I'm not going to lie, watching a DBZ movie in a theater would be something I'd really love.

But in this case you'd have to go to Japan if you actually wanted to see it in theaters. Over here, the best you can possibly hope for is a well-done DTV release by FUNimation (which to be fair is what will most likely happen given their track-record with well-done DVD releases in the past few years).

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 10:29:31 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 10:16:32 PM

The Buu saga is terrible in the anime. Once again, its just a flat-out bad adaptation and here they made the mistake of playing out the arc so damn seriously. In the manga it has a very comedic tone akin to the early days of Dragon Ball and it brings the series back to its routes of "magic" and "mysticism" rather than the science-fiction approach that DBZ took with outer-space and alien races and whatnot. In the anime, its incredibly drawn out with shit-tons of filler and they don't translate any of Toriyama's humor.
I'm actually a bit interested in the manga version since you've been speaking so highly of it.
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 10:32:25 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 10:22:44 PM

But in this case you'd have to go to Japan if you actually wanted to see it in theaters. Over here, the best you can possibly hope for is a well-done DTV release by FUNimation (which to be fair is what will most likely happen given their track-record with well-done DVD releases in the past few years).
Dream killer.  :'(

Eddy

Yeah, the DBZ anime was shit overall. I watched it, I liked it, and I still have nostalgia for it, but anyone looking at it objectively has to admit it's garbage.

Frieza is a pretty great villain though. Unlike Cell and Majin Buu, Frieza wasn't a creation made to destroy the universe. He was his own person, with his own personality, and chose to be the person (or alien, whatever) that he became. Majin Buu did have the interesting concept of learning good from bad and struggling with it. Cell was pretty boring, overall.

I still think the scene where Goku becomes a Super Sayain for the first time is great. One of the best scenes in the series.

Also, fuck the haters, Krillin is awesome.

Dr. Insomniac

I watched an episode of Darkwing Duck last week, and good lord, is that show fucking corny. Like, we put that shit on the list? Really? Maybe we did let nostalgia pollute the decision.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've never actually watched Darkwing Duck (or if I did it was so little and so long ago that I just flat-out don't remember any of it), so naturally I have no comment on the matter.

Foggle

Maybe it was just that episode, and the show as a whole isn't so corny? I don't know, it's been a long ass time since I saw any DD.

Dr. Insomniac

It was the episode where Darkwing Duck went into the Negaverse.

Spark Of Spirit

I still think it's great. It's possible you just didn't like the episode you saw, but I don't enjoy things beyond the 80s TMNT for nostalgia reasons.

Watch Night Of The Living Spud and if you don't like it then the show simply isn't for you.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It's supposed to be corny. The show is a spoof of silver age comics, but isn't as in your face about it as The Tick.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/