Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, if I wanted a silver age sendup done right, I'll watch Brave and the Bold. This show just felt corny in a bad way than whatever you guys think it is.

Avaitor

I mean, yeah, the Disney Afternoon shows do have some corny dialogue in them. Or a lot in some cases, like in particular episodes of some shows or most of Rescue Rangers. But there's more than enough clever lines and character interactions that do work to balance them out, IMO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Rescue Rangers is probably the hardest to enjoy nowadays because the dialogue is incredibly corny, but I still think Darkwing Duck and DuckTales still hold up with great and fun stories with really excellent character interaction.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I liked what I saw of Darkwing Duck. The show is supposed to have corny dialogue since the hero is about as oblivious as Hong Kong Phooey.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Goldstar

Darkwing Duck was pretty enjoyable, even though the title character was basically Disney's version of Daffy Duck, obliviousness, giant ego and all.

I imagine that DuckTales would still hold up for me, even I haven't seen it in a few years. I could never get into Rescue Rangers or TaleSpin even when they were new, for whatever reason.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

But that's the thing. I thought Hong Kong Phooey sucked too. Maybe I just hate corny things in general. Or how I can't watch corny parodies without associating them with those shitty parody movies last decade.

gunswordfist

Well no one can compare to the best duck ever. Also, Duck Dodgers '00 show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Darkwing Duck.
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 18, 2012, 07:47:40 AM
But that's the thing. I thought Hong Kong Phooey sucked too. Maybe I just hate corny things in general. Or how I can't watch corny parodies without associating them with those shitty parody movies last decade.
Well I don't care for HKP (not just meh) so I guess I get it.

Avaitor

HKP's one of the highlights of 70's Hanna-Barbera IMO. Even if it isn't a great show, it's at least considerably better than ar least 95% of what lese they made at the time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Being 5% of the best shit is still pretty shitty though.

Avaitor

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

No problem with different tastes, I don't like Firefly but I also don't think people who like it just blindly enjoy it because Whedon made it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Silverstar

I find Peanuts to be highly overrated. The strips and specials have their amusing moments, but by and large I find it to be very dull, depressing and even a little mean-spirited now. Nonstop losing, unrequited love and failure gets seriously old after a while.

I like Marvel's Super Hero Squad Show. There, I said it. I don't care how goofy and silly it is, I don't care if hardcore comic book fans consider it to be a blight on Marvel's various franchises, I enjoy the series precisely because it's so goofy and silly. And I love the concept of all of Marvel's characters residing in in single city as a setting. Yes, it's just set up to sell toys, but I still love Superhero City. I love it.

I don't mind or even care that CGI has become the dominant animation style in animated features now. I'm sick of people bemoaning the fact that CGI exists and acting like computer animation is the first sign of Armageddon. I'm also sick of people bad-mouthing Flash animation. CG and Flash are just like everything else: there are good and bad examples of each. I wish folks would learn to judge cartoons by the quality of the art, writing and direction, not solely by how they're animated.

I think I'm starting to seriously dislike 'adult' cartoons now. When did 'adult' come to mean as scatological, trippy, lewd, crude and unfunny as possible? Also, I'm done with all of Seth MacFarlane's shows, and don't know if I'll ever want to revisit them again.

I've tried and tried, but I just can't get into Adventure Time, and I probably never will. People on Toon Zone especially never stop heaping praise on AT, saying how wonderfully quirky, compelling and deep it is, but at best I find myself scratching my head over it, at the worst it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like how it's so often lacking in form and structure: it tries to be simultaneously a comedy, a stoner show, an action show and a drama, and doesn't succeed at any of them. I kind of like Jake, he has some good lines now and then, although his spotlight episodes tend to be kind of weak. Finn I just can't get into at all, though I've tried. I didn't really like the Fionna and Cake gender-swap episode (though the majority of TZ loved it), but I will say that I probably liked Finn's female counterpart Fionna more in her one appearance than I ever have or will like Finn himself.

Lupin the 3rd is flat-out one of the best anime ever made, and it's seriously deserving of more praise than it's ever received in the US.

Rocko's Modern Life is simply the single best thing Nickelodeon has ever put on the air. Ever. On a semi-related note, there have only been about 3 really good or above average Nicktoons: Rocko, Angry Beavers and KaBlam!, IMHO.

While I don't hate Hanna-Barbera, I've never felt like the works of that studio belong in the same category as the likes of Warner Bros and MGM, or even Jay Ward. It's not the limited animation, their shows, characters and humor have never really gelled with me for whatever reason. Even H-B's most major productions like The Flintstones, Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound were just 'meh' at best to me. That said, Scooby-Doo: Mystery, Inc. and the connected universe within it is the coolest and most interesting take on anything HB-related anyone's done in a considerable while. Their take on Blue Falcon and Dynomutt only made me want to see them get their own show again.

I find some of the unabashed love, praise and adulation for Cartoon Network's Toonami block to be annoying and a little shallow and sad. I enjoyed the block too back in the day when it was good, but the way some people hype this show to the sky and act like it was the single greatest achievement in human history is just ridiculous. As if these shows were somehow made 100 times better just because they were surrounded by bumpers of a robot talking with the voice of Steven Jay Blum. I honestly like the Miguzi bumpers more.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Foggle

Quote from: Silverstar on September 24, 2012, 10:03:50 AM
I find Peanuts to be highly overrated. The strips and specials have their amusing moments, but by and large I find it to be very dull, depressing and even a little mean-spirited now. Nonstop losing, unrequited love and failure gets seriously old after a while.
You know, I agree with you, and I think I always have.

QuoteWhen did 'adult' come to mean as scatological, trippy, lewd, crude and unfunny as possible? Also, I'm done with all of Seth MacFarlane's shows, and don't know if I'll ever want to revisit them again.
When comedy writers forgot how to actually write comedy. I mostly feel the same way. Have you watched any Archer, though? That show is hilarious!

QuoteLupin the 3rd is flat-out one of the best anime ever made, and it's seriously deserving of more praise than it's ever received in the US.
Damn right! Have you seen the new series? It's amazing.

QuoteAs if these shows were somehow made 100 times better just because they were surrounded by bumpers of a robot talking with the voice of Steven Jay Blum.
Steve Blum makes anything better! :frown:

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, you should really give Fujiko Mine a try, Silver. Very stylistic, like something out of a pulp novel.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on September 24, 2012, 10:38:50 AM
Quote from: Silverstar on September 24, 2012, 10:03:50 AM

QuoteLupin the 3rd is flat-out one of the best anime ever made, and it's seriously deserving of more praise than it's ever received in the US.
Damn right! Have you seen the new series? It's amazing.

QuoteAs if these shows were somehow made 100 times better just because they were surrounded by bumpers of a robot talking with the voice of Steven Jay Blum.
Steve Blum makes anything better! :frown:
THIS.