Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Nah, you make valid points. Those were problems with the show. I hated the love triangle, thought Mako was boring, felt that the way Korra got her airbending was stupid, thought the Equalist movement was portrayed poorly (showing both the pros and cons and putting it into more of a gray area would have been more interesting), etc. It really felt like having a 20-episode season like the first series would have done it some justice. But I enjoyed it for what it was otherwise. I still loved the vibe of the show and the action scenes are some of the best in animation today.

I just hope they use the amount of episodes they have in the upcoming seasons wisely and don't try to cram too much into one season next time.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 03, 2013, 01:13:48 PM
Nah, you make valid points. Those were problems with the show. I hated the love triangle, thought Mako was boring, felt that the way Korra got her airbending was stupid, thought the Equalist movement was portrayed poorly (showing both the pros and cons and putting it into more of a gray area would have been more interesting), etc. It really felt like having a 20-episode season like the first series would have done it some justice. But I enjoyed it for what it was otherwise. I still loved the vibe of the show and the action scenes are some of the best in animation today.

I just hope they use the amount of episodes they have in the upcoming seasons wisely and don't try to cram too much into one season next time.

I do like the Korra's vibe more. TLA felt like a generic Asian-ish series, while Korra feels like the orginal series meets Batman Beyond meets Baccano.

I also really dig the soundtrack.

Silverstar

Another prime example of "good idea, horrible execution" was Chowder. I liked some of the gags and the setting, and the first season was pretty decent, but it quickly started going south by season 2, particularly around the episode "The Apprentice Games". The basic premise of a master chef teaching his apprentice to cook was tossed to the side in favor of everyone just repeating their trademarks shticks and catchphrases over and over, the writers cranked up a single aspect of each character's personality (Chowder's stupidity, Panini's stalker-ish obsession with Chowder, etc.) up to 11 and discarded any potential depth, heart or character development, everybody started breaking the 4th wall all the damn time (I don't mind the occasional meta joke once in a while, but this show did it over and over to the point of irritation), several of the voice actors (particularly Nick Jones, who voiced Chowder) began screaming all of their lines, the writers began shoehorning the character of Gazpacho into every single episode 'just because', (they must have figured "Gazpacho's funny so we'll use him every chance we get, regardless if the story actually calls for him or not"), the sense of whimsy and wonder that permeated the first season was gone and all of the characters degenerated into being 1-dimensional shtick machines. By the series' end it was just another SpongeBob Squarepants wannabe featuring weird characters doing loud and slightly off-color slapstick.

I have nothing against wackiness and slapstick; heck, they're 2 of my favorite things in cartoons, but when it's just yuk-yuks with no feeling of sincerity or professionalism behind them, that's when zany falls flat in my book.

For a while Chowder was being touted as Cartoon Network's next big thing, and I really wanted to like this show more than I did, but it just ended up falling flat on its' face.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm starting to get the impression that Michael Reeves was doing most of the heavylifting for Gargoyles instead of Greg.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 04, 2013, 11:03:11 AM
I'm starting to get the impression that Michael Reeves was doing most of the heavylifting for Gargoyles instead of Greg.

Care to elaborate?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 04, 2013, 03:07:04 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 04, 2013, 11:03:11 AM

Care to elaborate?
The episode guide shows that Greg only personally wrote one episode of Gargoyles, and that was for The Goliath Chronicles. Also, his work on Gargoyles by himself with the Clan Building comic left much to be desired.

Spark Of Spirit

But he was the creator, executive producer, and showrunner, wasn't he? That typically means he is the one that assigns everything and has the final say. A bad showrunner will kill a show, even if the writers are good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

That's like saying George Lucas was responsible for what made Star Wars good, when everyone knows the editors basically did the job for him. Not to say that Weisman is anything as bad as Lucas though.

Spark Of Spirit

I dunno, looking at what he did since Gargoyles seems to show me that he must have had considerable weight in making said show good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I didn't get into Secret Saturdays just because the name sucked.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 04, 2013, 04:22:15 PM
I dunno, looking at what he did since Gargoyles seems to show me that he must have had considerable weight in making said show good.
Yeah, Young Justice is turning out to be a hit, isn't it?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 04, 2013, 05:42:02 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 04, 2013, 04:22:15 PM
I... was talking more about TSSM and Witch, actually. And the first season of Young Justice was also really good.

I'm not sure why one season that isn't all that suddenly pulls into question his entire body of work.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 04, 2013, 05:42:02 PM

So, 2 seasons of Gargoyles and The Spectacular Spider-Man don't exist all of a sudden because 1 season of Young Justice happens to be a turd? Its possible for talented creators/writers to make shit works every now and then. It doesn't mean you can negate the good stuff that they were behind making as well.

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, WITCH had some of the vices that YJ would eventually get. SSM was really good though. Can't deny that. And while I'm not trying to sully Weisman's name, it's a discredit to not acknowledge Reaves who had a credited hand in 22 episodes of Gargoyles. That's like giving all the praise to Stan Lee for creating the Marvel Universe when Kirby and Ditko did all the real work.

Avaitor

Ditko didn't do a damn thing for Spider-Man but draw.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/