Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldstar

I was never a Ben 10 fan, but the only series that I could watch even occasionally was the 1st series when Ben and Gwen were 10-year-old kids. Sure, both characters were kind of annoying with their constant bickering, but at least then they had personalities, unlike the bland cyphers that they became as teenagers. Ben 10: Alien Force was one of the most boring shows on TV. It was mostly forced shipper nonsense, and why did every single episode take place at night?

I haven't even bothered with Ben 10: Ultimate Alien. I was done with that as soon as I learned that Gwen was no longer a regular. She was one of the few things I liked about the Ben 10 franchise, and without her character, there was no balance. i understand that Ben 10 is franchise aimed primarily at boys who are at an age where "girls are icky", but I have zero interest in watching a Ben 10 show with 2 dudes as the protagonists.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

Another unfortunate oddity came in how Ben seemed perfectly fine with committing murder as long as his victims were alien. While that would be understandable, if still badly thought out, in another series, the writers forgot that Ben is at least some type of alien for most of the show. Way to flush down that "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" dilemma, guys.

gunswordfist

Hmmm, I assumed The Spongebob Movie was well loved.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

Ben 10's series confuse me too much to even jump on anymore. There's the original where they're kids, Alien Force where they're teens, live action movies, Omniverse which... is a new continuity? And Sunday there was a marathon going on where every episode was in CGI. It just feels like they blew their load and I can't even tell what's what anymore.

Still, I'll watch an original series episode when it's on. I always liked the design of that white-haired witch character.

Spark Of Spirit

I always found Ben 10 to be rather dull. Man Of Action's work has always felt dull to me though Generator Rex was an interesting new take on their formula.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Their Avengers: EMH episodes were easily the weakest parts of the shows run, even over the oddly paced first few episodes.

And let's just forget about Ultimate Spider-Man, k thx
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I think it would be cool if Man Of Action made a Deadpool cartoon for older audiences, if only so that Joe Kelly could write him again.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 19, 2013, 01:02:52 PM
Hmmm, I assumed The Spongebob Movie was well loved.

It is. Or, at the very least, it's well "liked". However, I directed that opinion at this site, under the assumption that most people here weren't fans of it. Though it turned out I was wrong to an extent.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 19, 2013, 06:13:15 PM
I always found Ben 10 to be rather dull. Man Of Action's work has always felt dull to me though Generator Rex was an interesting new take on their formula.
Ahh, Generator Rex. I really wanted to get into that show but they love starting every episode with some adventure that acts like nothing happened with the story in the previous episode so I stopped trying to keep up.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Mr. Big

Here's my unpopular opinion:

I think Ralph Bakshi was at his best when he was directing on children's animations. The stuff he did for Terrytoons (Deputy Dawg, Sad Cat, Mighty Heroes, etc.) and Famous Studios (Marvin Digs, Mini-Squirts, etc.) are, IMO, more enjoyable than his more famous adult stuff, like Fritz the Cat and Coonskin.

But that's just me.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Mr. Big on March 20, 2013, 05:48:58 PM
Here's my unpopular opinion:

I think Ralph Bakshi was at his best when he was directing on children's animations. The stuff he did for Terrytoons (Deputy Dawg, Sad Cat, Mighty Heroes, etc.) and Famous Studios (Marvin Digs, Mini-Squirts, etc.) are, IMO, more enjoyable than his more famous adult stuff, like Fritz the Cat and Coonskin.

But that's just me.
The only Bakshi movie I've really seen all of American Pop, which I liked, but I have to agree. Most of his movies seem more "dark and gritty" then enjoyable.

Silverstar

I kind of liked Wizards (the concept behind it anyway) and what I saw of Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures, but yeah, overall Bakshi's 'super-adult' stuff never really did much for me.

BTW, does anyone remember Bakshi's Tattertown? It was a TV series Bakshi had in the works for at least a decade, but on the air it never made it past the pilot, which aired for a few years as a Christmas special on Nick at Nite. The show's art style recalled 1930's era cartoons. I thought Tattertown at least had the potential to be interesting.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 19, 2013, 06:03:28 PM
Ben 10's series confuse me too much to even jump on anymore. There's the original where they're kids, Alien Force where they're teens, live action movies, Omniverse which... is a new continuity? And Sunday there was a marathon going on where every episode was in CGI. It just feels like they blew their load and I can't even tell what's what anymore.

Omniverse is just a continuation of the series with a different art style. The Ben 10 series all follow one linear continuity, although they love to contradict themselves a lot. There also has never been a CG series of Ben 10. That was a movie based on the original series' timeframe.

Quote from: Goldstar on March 19, 2013, 08:44:29 AM
I was never a Ben 10 fan, but the only series that I could watch even occasionally was the 1st series when Ben and Gwen were 10-year-old kids. Sure, both characters were kind of annoying with their constant bickering, but at least then they had personalities, unlike the bland cyphers that they became as teenagers. Ben 10: Alien Force was one of the most boring shows on TV. It was mostly forced shipper nonsense, and why did every single episode take place at night?

See, here's the thing: I've always HATED the original Ben 10 series. Even as a kid, the characters were so goddamn obnoxious I hated to sit through it (although there were episodes I thought were okay occaisonally).  Alien Force and Ultimate Alien are, for the most part, garbage, with only maybe ten or so episodes between them that are at least  watchable. So I've never really enjoyed this franchise before, which is why Omniverse suprises me. I've actually liked what I've seen of the show. Ben is likeable now, and the show no longer feels the need to take itself so seriously. I actually enjoyed the two-part episode they aired last satruday more than the series finale of Young Justice, which is why I made my origingla post in the first place. It's suprising.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 19, 2013, 06:03:28 PM
I haven't even bothered with Ben 10: Ultimate Alien. I was done with that as soon as I learned that Gwen was no longer a regular. She was one of the few things I liked about the Ben 10 franchise, and without her character, there was no balance. i understand that Ben 10 is franchise aimed primarily at boys who are at an age where "girls are icky", but I have zero interest in watching a Ben 10 show with 2 dudes as the protagonists.

Omniverse. Ultimate Alien ended a year ago. Anyway, I thought Gwen was obnoxious in the original series, and shifted from being boring to a borderline jerkass in Alien Force/Ultimate Alien. Rook, from what I've seen of him, is far more likeable and plays off Ben's character very well.  Also, Gwen still shows up infrequently, so it's not like they wrote her out the series altogether.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 19, 2013, 01:15:33 AM
I'm watching the second James Bond parody American Dad episode on Adult Swim right now, and I'm not understanding how people on TZ are praising this. That Tearjerker episode is one of the best in the series, but this crap doesn't even hold a candle to it.

Yeah...I dont get the praise for the episode either. I know it's unpopular around here, but I LOVE American Dad, and I have to say that the second Tearjerker episode was a slightly below average episode to me. I enjoyed it, got a couple of big laughs (Lewis + Roger is a golden pair for comedy), but it was not nearly as memorable or fatastic as the original episode, which is probably one of my favorite episodes from the show. I honestly can't believe Dudley over at Toonzone said it was the funniest American Dad he's ever seen. No. Just...no.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 20, 2013, 10:49:32 PM
I honestly can't believe Dudley over at Toonzone said it was the funniest American Dad he's ever seen. No. Just...no.

Yeah, I can't see what this episode does comedy-wise that surpasses anything the series has done before (and better), so I really don't know where he's coming from.

For me, it's that while I don't really like the Bond movies, I still appreciate the parodies of them throughout media. I don't know all the plots of every Bond movie, but going after a maniacal pimp with most of the episode taking place in the ghetto just doesn't feel like a secret agent movie to me. At least Roger's evil plan in the original was funny, with the movies and the celeb robots, and had a clever plan against it with the celebrity babies. The whole "melt the polar ice caps with a million hairdryers for lake front property" wasn't even stupid in a funny way. It's just plain stupid.

And I never said that third thing you quoted, dude.   ;)

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 20, 2013, 11:55:25 PM

And I never said that third thing you quoted, dude.   ;)

Oops.  :P How did that happen?  :sweat: