Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldstar

I've yet to see a TV series get brought back from the abyss twice. And what network would pick up Futurama? If the series were to return to Adult Swim, it would most likely just be the reruns of seasons 1-4, since Williams Street didn't have the budget to produce new episodes then, and they don't have it now. The only other choice that I could see if maybe FX, since that airs Archer.

Honestly, if the episodes from this season are what we could expect from Futurama now, I think that it would be better to just let the show die.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

gunswordfist

Gah, I assumed this season of Futurama was great. Also, I still have no interest in Animaniacs or TTA. Both shows bored me to tears as a kid.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 25, 2013, 02:45:10 PM
Also, I still have no interest in Animaniacs or TTA. Both shows bored me to tears as a kid.

To each their own. Most action cartoons bore me, except for some of the superhero stuff. I've always preferred comedies, especially zany comedies, and I lose interest in plots which take more than 2 or 3 episodes to resolve. But s'all good. different strokes for different folks, and so on and so on and scooby-dooby-dooby...

And now, a truly unpopular opinion: 3 of the least interesting superheroes to me are Batman, Spider-Man and Wolverine.

Bats and Wolvie are more interesting when they're surrounded by teams than when they're alone; part of the appeal of Logan and Bats is their contrast to their lighter, more 'squeaky-clean' members of the rest of their respective teams. Take away that contrast and those guys just bore me. As solo acts, Batman and Wolverine are just dull to me. (Though it's worth mentioning that I liked Wolverine more before everybody on the planet started loving him. But I'm an contrarian Aquarius.)

Spidey just never did it for me. I generally don't like superheroes who are everyday shmucks like Peter Parker. I prefer the larger-than-life superheroes like Superman, Iron Man, Capt. America, the Fantastic Four; the capes with billions of dollars, cool alien origins, genetic enhancements, fame and glory and high-tech HQs. The less said about Ultimate Spider-Man, the better. The only reason I'd ever entertain the thought of watching Ultimate Spider-Man is for that show's hot version of Aunt May.

-Oh, and I hate secret identities with the fury of 1000 suns. I understand why so many shows and comics implement them and what purpose they serve, but I still strongly dislike them. They always remind me of those cheesy 1950's-1960's sitcoms where the protagonists spend half the time making stupid-assed excuses to their bosses or in-laws or neighbors or whomever. I never could stand the "I/we have/are/can do something really cool, but I/we have to keep it a secret from everyone" trope, not even as a kid.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

For some reason, I tend to gravitate towards female characters in many cartoons. When an animated show has no females in the main cast (with the exception of Regular Show), I tend to lose interest in it fairly quickly.

People have told me that Nick's Sanjay & Craig got better after the pilot episode, so I watched a couple more episodes but I still found the series to be loud, obnoxious and not funny. The only character on S&C whom I kind of like Sanjay's mom.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Nel_Annette

Speaking of newer shows, I really, really wanted to like Grojband. I really liked the character designs and the art-style. Reminded me of Fosters. But writing-wise, it's shit. No character is likable, and every episode seems to end the same way: get the sister so angry she writes lyrics in her diary that the band steals and makes a song out of. And that's it. Every time.

Dr. Insomniac

Quotedifferent strokes for different folks
Once again, any use of this phrase must be associated with how Gary Coleman was almost raped by some old white bike dealer.

Lord Il

Rocket Monkeys: One of the worst pieces of animated garbage I've had the displeasure of witnessing in recent years. Basically about two monkeys in constant competition against each other along with their robot assistant in a space ship who are sent on various missions. The mission giver? Dr. Chimpsky (Yes, that's his name.), easily a ripoff of Duck Dodgers' Dr. I.Q. Hi, whereas they both give orders to their respective protagonists via a black and white monitor..

..... !
............ !!

Forced comedy = Do not want. The writers try way too hard to make this a funny show, but in essense, it's laughable at just how bad it really is. I even find some of the character designs to be piss-poor. I remember landing on an episode one evening where there was some evil pirate crab hopping around on a single peg leg which looked too much like.... ugh........! (insert your favorite facepalm.jpeg here) ... yeah, a pirate crab hopping around on its erect penis. Complete with condom attached. What a happy lil crab to be jumping around on his little wang like that! ;D How could anyone not get this same impression?

..............................!1!1!1!!!!

From what I've been able to tell, this show is apparently aimed at a younger demographic. But
it's trying to be a clone of Duck Dodgers in the 24th and a half Century and fails miserably.

gunswordfist

What the hell?! TTA and Animaniacs being comedies has nothing to do with why I find them boring.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Silverstar on July 25, 2013, 04:34:41 PM-Oh, and I hate secret identities with the fury of 1000 suns. I understand why so many shows and comics implement them and what purpose they serve, but I still strongly dislike them. They always remind me of those cheesy 1950's-1960's sitcoms where the protagonists spend half the time making stupid-assed excuses to their bosses or in-laws or neighbors or whomever. I never could stand the "I/we have/are/can do something really cool, but I/we have to keep it a secret from everyone" trope, not even as a kid.
I think because otherwise there would be a whole lot of other problems to deal with other than villains terrorizing the first national bank and would pretty much derail the story into being about the main character avoiding media attention (and probably getting a big head) instead of normal problems. And honestly, I find the 'big head' cliche a lot more boring than the character having to learn to sort their life out.

It's probably why I've never been all that interested in Iron Man (until RDJ) or the Fantastic Four. I really don't like the celebrity super-hero angle.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Maybe I'm completely wrong since I don't read comics, but I always thought that Iron Man's true identity as Tony Stark was a secret in most of the comics. I always kind of just assumed that it was a movie-thing where Tony Stark revealed his true identity, though I'm not sure why I thought that. Either way, though, I haven't read the comics other than Extremis (in which Tony's identity IS a secret), so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 25, 2013, 08:58:10 PM
Maybe I'm completely wrong since I don't read comics, but I always thought that Iron Man's true identity as Tony Stark was a secret in most of the comics. I always kind of just assumed that it was a movie-thing where Tony Stark revealed his true identity, though I'm not sure why I thought that. Either way, though, I haven't read the comics other than Extremis (in which Tony's identity IS a secret), so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.
It probably is since I haven't read the comics in such a long time and I don't even remember the last Iron Man I read so I might be the one mistaken.  ;)

Comics aside, though I liked the reveal of his identity at the end of the first movie, the second movie covered a lot of the things I don't like about the whole revealed identity thing, while the third managed to bypass it by throwing Tony in the middle of nowhere to escape it.

While the problems with the second movie go deeper than what I'm talking about, I still see it as a fundamental distraction from whatever story we might have had without it. I think superheroes need identities both to keep them grounded and to keep the plot centered on direct good and evil battles. When you take it away it tends to distract and muddle things up.

Though I have no idea if that's an unpopular opinion or not.  :D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Silverstar

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 25, 2013, 08:10:06 PM
What the hell?! TTA and Animaniacs being comedies has nothing to do with why I find them boring.

Hm? I don't recall saying that or even implying that. I was just talking about myself, which I do a lot. :>
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 25, 2013, 02:45:10 PM
Also, I still have no interest in Animaniacs or TTA. Both shows bored me to tears as a kid.

No wonder your life is so filled with unhappiness.

gunswordfist

Avaitor

Henry Selick recently said this.

"It?s too homogenous. It?s way too much the same. The films aren?t really that different one from the other. Despicable Me could have been made Pixar, by DreamWorks. It?s not a great time for feature animation if you want to do something even moderately outside the formula"

I agree with him on certain points, but not as a whole. If there is one thing about the animation industry today that stands out better than in the 90's, it's that we're well past the age when basically all we'd get in feature films are Disney and Disney knock-offs.

But I can see how a lot of animated films coming out today rely on a particular formula. While Pixar and Dreamworks have thankfully been experimenting more either in the vein of Toy Story or Shrek. Obviously there's more to the industry then that, like how Disney's been making memorable movies again, but I would definitely like more Coralines.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/