What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yakuza 0 does sound like a good starting point, in that case. This video also convinced me to give it a shot: http://youtu.be/CU-z4Csf1Tc

Foggle

Yes! The first main beat 'em up stage is ridiculously awesome. I was actually cheering at points during it. :il_hahaha: The build-up is great, too. After two slow (but enjoyable) hours of character development and plot establishment, the excellent combat scenario you're rewarded with feels so great. It's like a well-placed action scene in a movie that's just so much better because of what was leading up to it. Yakuza 2 and 5 also do this sort of build-up very well IMO.

Mustang

I'd also recommend staying away from Street Fighter 5. I mean, it should be cheap now, but you have a Season Pass and a Character Pass (only Akuma available right now) to get if you want to keep up with everyone as well. From a casual perspective, this game is done (unless Capcom is actually going to add everything that should've been there to begin with and fix simple issues that should've never been there). If you still get SF5 anyway, give me a holler (I haven't touch it since my last post here) I'd probably hold out on getting Guilty Gear as well, at least until Rev2.

I haven't been playing anything as of late. Laziness, tiredness and just waiting for that one game (Mass Effect Andromeda) although I did buy Gravity Rush 2. Thinking about buying Tales of Berseria. Even though I got 2 days to wait, my interest in Nioh is starting to wane a bit.
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
SF6 - Ken, Juri, Jamie
GGS - Sol Badguy, Slayer

Foggle

I totally get losing interest in other games because you're too excited for one particular upcoming title. I'm so pumped for Nier Automata that I'm finding it difficult to focus on Yakuza 0 despite how fantastic it is.

Spark Of Spirit

I heartily recommend Double Dragon IV. I played a bunch of it today with a friend. It plays like NES Double Dragon II only with a front face kick and more moves. The game is also at a good length and the tower mode is pretty crazy difficult.

There are a lot of people dumping on this, but it's actually really well done. It feels like an NES game the way Mega Man 9 and 10 did only without the slowdown and with slightly higher res. It's also really hard: if you play co-op the enemy count doubles. Just be sure to put the music on retro. The new tracks aren't anything special, but they sound less bland on the retro setting. Some people are saying it feels like a fan game, but I don't see it. It's almost an exact carbon copy of NES DDII in everything except the amount of moves you can do and the enemies on screen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Feeling like a fan game shouldn't even be an insult to be honest. There are some damn good fan games out there, and it's not like they'd have been able to get the original development team back to work on a new Double Dragon in 2017 anyway. People can be so picky.

In other news, your post just now helped me discover this existed, and it looks like I'll have to check it out! :D I also need to play that recent River City Ransom sequel...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Halo SPV3 is a fan game and it's considered to be one of the best Halo games out there, official or otherwise. Saying that something feels like a fan game is not detractor in my eyes.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't know, it's a weird insult. But if you played and enjoy DDII for the NES, I can't imagine not liking this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Seeing as how Streets Of Rage Remake is possibly my favorite game ever...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

Can I vent for a bit?

One of the games I've been playing recently is Freedom Planet, which I picked up when it was for sale on Gog. Its a pretty good game, so far; nice graphics and good gameplay, strongly inspired by the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games. However, it does have what I consider to be a rather huge flaw, at least for a modern game.
Said flaw being the save-function, or rather the lack of one.

I do not understand why some modern games decide to do this. Its 2017 and I should be able to save my game whenever I wish. At the very least, it would be nice if the game gave me an option to save before a boss-fight, so that I could turn the game off, should I grow tired off it,  without having to replay the entire level again. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Sigh, maybe emulators have made me soft. Or, maybe its because I don't play these type of games that often, at least not these days.

I've also been trying to play Fire Emblem Heroes. "Trying" being the key-word here, because the game keeps kicking me back to the desktop. At first, I thought that it could be because I hadn't updated my Ipad for some time, so I did. Guess what? It still keeps quitting on me.
Most frustrating.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Foggle

I think every game should give the player the ability to save and quit whenever they want to. Maybe they could have the game delete the file once it was loaded to prevent save-scumming or something, but it would make gaming so much more convenient for many people.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Picked up Nioh today. I won't really get a chance to play it until the weekend though.

gunswordfist

Heh, I have been stalled on a Hard run of Freedom Planet for awhile. Funny enough, it has good checkpoints...but starts you at the beginning of the level with saves.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I literally spent the my entire evening later night playing Nioh until two in the morning.

Where the fuck has this Team Ninja been for the past decade? This game may be Dark Souls in concept, but it's completely old-school Team Ninja in execution, and it's excellence personified. Words cannot describe how happy I am to see this development team go back to the roots of their game designing philosophy and actually turn out a great product once again in the first time in forever.

And yes, while it owes a ton to Dark Souls, and while it can't come close to matching the level design or bosses of those games, it excels in many areas of its own, namely with its combat and customization options, which I'll post about in detail at some point later on.

Mustang

Nioh sold out at Amazon the day it was released or a day after. I need to start taking advantage of pre-ordering, but can't get around to doing so (bills, student loans, etc.) I've been hearing nothing but positive feedback about Nioh and the only thing I can say is that Team Ninja should've abandoned Ninja Gaiden after Itagaki left. That was his game (Konami is in the same boat) and without him behind it you're asking for failure.

Installing Gravity Rush 2, Batman Arkham City and Knight. Lots of stressful days in the past couple of weeks at work and needing to release. At times like this I need Shenmue.... SHIT, "goes to order Yakuza 0"
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
SF6 - Ken, Juri, Jamie
GGS - Sol Badguy, Slayer