What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd love to see Platinum get a shot at handling a Nintendo exclusive IP. Sure, it would be vastly different than what we're used to because of PG's very distinct style, but some could see that as a breath of fresh air and an interesting detour from the usual stuff we're used to, so I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've collected all 10 jiggies from Treasure Trove as well. I'm now moving on to Clanker's Cavern.  I forget, was this supposed to be the notoriously bad level from this game, or is that Rusty Bucket Bay?

Spark Of Spirit

I'm playing Pokemon Battle Trozei. I better be careful or else it will suck me in. The game can be pretty addictive.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 20, 2014, 04:36:35 PM
I've collected all 10 jiggies from Treasure Trove as well. I'm now moving on to Clanker's Cavern.  I forget, was this supposed to be the notoriously bad level from this game, or is that Rusty Bucket Bay?
Clanker's Cavern is the one. You might actually enjoy Rusty Bucket Bay since it's pretty hard.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Rusty Bucket Bay is horrible in the N64 version. Losing all your music notes when you die to bullshit traps and enemy placement is so tedious. It's a good level overall, though.

Kiddington

I never really hated Clanker's Cavern as much as most people. I dunno, must be that music. While we're on the subject, Click Clock Wood is awesome though. Such a cool level.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 19, 2014, 11:34:09 PM
By the way, I have to say that Star Fox has to be the most unfortunate Nintendo franchise. I honestly think it only has one good game now. And that, obviously, is Star Fox 64.

The original Star Fox is a classic that I can no longer stomach. It's one of the few games for me where its age just kills it.

Star Fox Adventures isn't bad but give me a real Zelda over it any day.

Star Fox Assault, on the other hand, is indeed bad.

Unfortunately, I imagine Star Fox just isn't a series that sells, so Nintendo doesn't seem to have much interest in continuing it.

You forgot Command.  :awesome:

Assault should've been far better than it was. My problem wasn't with the fact that they took Fox out of the Arwing, I actually kinda like that they tried to do something different with the series and mix things up a bit. It's just the execution was so sloppy.........the game looked nice, but that was about it. It was such a slog otherwise.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I got 8/10 jiggies in Clanker's Cavern. I can't for the life of me find the last 2 of them, though. As for the level itself, maybe it's because people hype it up to be insanely bad, but honestly it wasn't anywhere near THAT bad. Tedious, yes, and those underwater controls and camera are an absolute bitch, but the level itself is not hard. It can just get frustrating to get some objectives done underwater since when you screw up (which is all too easy) you have to come all of the way back up for air and them dive down again, and rinse and repeat the process until you get it done perfectly. It's not really all that fun, but it's also far from the worst that I ever seen of a platformer before.

Nel_Annette

Yeah, I don't find Clanker's Cavern to be bad at all. I think the color scheme makes it look like one of "those" levels, but it's not bad. I do genuinely hate Rusty Bucket Bay though. That damn engine room.  :oo:

King Hippo

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've currently played through 5 worlds in Banjo-Kazooie, and putting some obvious frustrations aside (most notably the camera), I think the game is a lot of fun. It brings me back to a time where adventure games wee more about enjoying the adventure and giving you some breathing room to have fun and explore. People who bash this game for being a collect-a-thon are completely missing the point, IMO. The game is fun not because of collecting stuff, but because of the adventure you have in doing so. You get to perform all kinds of creative tasks and mini-games, some better designed than others, but most of them quite fun. And the game doesn't force you to collect every single piece, though. The completionist in me insists that I do (which is why I have 10/10 pieces from the first 4 worlds and 9/10 from Freezey Peak, so far).

And for the record, the same app,IRS for any good 2D platformer. Games like Yoshi's Island or any DKC game aren't great because they are straightforward point A to point B linear games. They are great because its incredibly fun to get from point A to point B. it's about the adventure, not the destination, just like how BK is not really about the collecting.

Anyways, I can't wait to play more of this game, but I probably won't get a chance until next weekend.

Grave

Borderlands 2
Just finished a little session with my sister and her husband. Better than the 1st, but still don't really entice me much. It does enough to keep me going, and my family are the ones to keep me entertained, but as far as content goes, yeah... Maybe I'm a bit salty because I saw a skin I wanted but couldn't get it unless I go to the PSN store, but then again, outside of Halo I'm just about done with FPS. I'm going to try Ghost Recon next, and hopefully it'll get me interested in the genre again.

SSF4:AE2012
Major character crisis brewing. Even came to the point of adding charge characters now and I hate them, but they're definitely a lot easier to play on stick than on a regular controller. Main culprits are Guile and Balrog (along with everyone else I've mentioned in the past. That's nearly half of the roster)

GGXXAC+R
3rd Strike
SFxT

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've pretty much been done with Halo since Halo 4, which just flat-out didn't impress me in the slightest, and easily has some of the weakest replay value for the campaign mode in the entire series. Also, no, I never even tried the multiplayer because the damn thing would never run on my X360 for no apparent reason. Nice job making it playable only as a download, 343i. :humhumhum:

Halo: Combat Evolved and Reach are basically the only 2 games in the series that stand out to me at all. The rest are mostly good FPS games, but also have a fair deal of problems that hold them back from being great.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought the engine room in Rusty Bucket Bay was a great challenge. Especially in the 360 version since it saves everything you collect when you die. That extra wiggle room makes a big difference.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 23, 2014, 10:41:56 AM
I've currently played through 5 worlds in Banjo-Kazooie, and putting some obvious frustrations aside (most notably the camera), I think the game is a lot of fun. It brings me back to a time where adventure games wee more about enjoying the adventure and giving you some breathing room to have fun and explore. People who bash this game for being a collect-a-thon are completely missing the point, IMO. The game is fun not because of collecting stuff, but because of the adventure you have in doing so. You get to perform all kinds of creative tasks and mini-games, some better designed than others, but most of them quite fun. And the game doesn't force you to collect every single piece, though. The completionist in me insists that I do (which is why I have 10/10 pieces from the first 4 worlds and 9/10 from Freezey Peak, so far).

And for the record, the same app,IRS for any good 2D platformer. Games like Yoshi's Island or any DKC game aren't great because they are straightforward point A to point B linear games. They are great because its incredibly fun to get from point A to point B. it's about the adventure, not the destination, just like how BK is not really about the collecting.

Anyways, I can't wait to play more of this game, but I probably won't get a chance until next weekend.
This shouldn't really be a spoiler, but you can't get that last piece in Freezeezy Peak yet. I think it's the only one you can't get in the first run of a level.

Part of my fun with Banjo Kazooie is how fun everything is to do and almost always involves platforming. If you thought Clanker's Cavern was okay, then I can't imagine you hating the rest. Unless you find Rusty Bucket Bay too hard, and I doubt you of all people would.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, difficulty for me depends on the genre. I'm generally pretty OK with hack n' slash games and shooters, whereas I downright suck at fighting and racing games, and am probably below average at platformers despite growing up with them, to the point where I found the classic Sonic games moderately challenging when most fans of the genre consider the to be incredibly easy.

As for BK, non of the levels have been that hard so far, but certain mini-games to collect jiggies have been a nightmare (fuck the yumblies/grumblies game with Mr. Vile).

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 24, 2014, 05:27:25 PM
Well, difficulty for me depends on the genre. I'm generally pretty OK with hack n' slash games and shooters, whereas I downright suck at fighting and racing games, and am probably below average at platformers despite growing up with them, to the point where I found the classic Sonic games moderately challenging when most fans of the genre consider the to be incredibly easy.
This is pretty much me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Been playing Pure Chess on the Wii U and Pokemon Trozei on the 3DS.

Yep, not very exciting I'm afraid.