What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I was here at my cousin's house where my dad and older brother have been staying as hour house is being renovated, I have played most of Call of Duty: Black Ops and Gears of War: Judgement. With Black Ops, the restricted nature of the gameplay and constant cinematic scripting of events caused me to get bored of it, so I didn't end up playing the last 2 levels. With Gears of War: Judgement I had previously played pretty far into the game but then stopped when I loaned the game to my brother, which he still has so I decided to pop it into his XBOX360 and play the game from scratch on Hardcore difficulty. I caught up to where I was before and also played past that point. The game is pretty fun, as most Gears games are, though some of the difficulty can slo be BS just like in other Gears games. That said, this one is by far the easiest in the entire series. There were so many situations which I found myself stick in the middle of where I was sure that I'd be dead if it were the same situation in any other Gears game, but in this one I got out of a lot of situations like that without too much trouble. To be fair, some of that actually has to do with good design. Unlike Epic, PCF decided that it's a good idea to make AI of your companions a lot sharper and more useful, and the enemy AI doesn't just prioritize you, but also attacks your opponents as well. I'm grateful for this, personally, as despite making the game easier, it also makes it a lot more fun. Also, this really reminds me that I need to try. Bulletstorm, which was also made by PCF.

Anyways, the funny thing is that once again I am not going to be able to finish this game on this playthrough (or at least not anytime soon). I have to go back to my Aunt's house tonight, and while my brother does come to help her out with work every weekend, I still probably wouldn't go back to playing this game that much once I'm hack there since I have to prioritize studying with finding a job.

Foggle

Bulletstorm is good, but Painkiller is way better! The Xbox version should work on the 360 if you ever want to try it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll check that out as well.

The funny thing about Judgement is that it's not nearly as cinematic as the other Gears games, but in that regard it's the one that's the most purely driven by gameplay, whereas they clearly didn't try to force a bloated and badly-written story down your throat like the other games made by Epic. Personally, I love that. It cuts out the bull-shit in favor of pure gameplay and replayability, and as I said, it's easier than other Gears games, but that largely has to do with good design choices that makes the difficulty feel a lot mor balanced (though still not perfect).

Surely enough, this was also the lowest scored game by critics, in that it still received positive reviews, but was not nearly as highly praised as the other games in the series. I even remember Adam Sessler saying that he was disappointed in the game because it was "clearly designed more with replay value in mind over the story and set-pieces" (loose quote, there). It's funny, because when I saw that review, my first thought was: How is that a bad thing? I guess it just goes to show where my interest lie compared to critics, and that I personally identify with PCF's game design philosophy more than Epic's. And that isn't to say that Epic is a bad developer, because they're not, and I still like the other Gears games (in fact I'd still probably rank 3 as my personal favorite, even though I don't love that game by any means), but if I were ever to play another Gears game, I would prefer it to be made by PCF.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I replayed a bunch of NG2 after I finished doing some job searching today. The game is still a lot of fun. I just wish that Team Ninja could actually comprehend WHY people like myself liked it so much, and bring the series back to its roots, or at least incorporate the elements. Of this and the first game that worked best, while evolving the other elements of the series to make for something new and interesting.

Foggle

I've been playing through all the Ratchet & Clank games again (I pretty much have to do this every year, it's like an addiction), and I think I've finally realized why Tools of Destruction feels somewhat unsatisfying to me. It's not that the overall game is worse or less consistent than the others, it's just that all of the weakest levels are shoved in at the end rather than sprinkled throughout. Which isn't to say that any of the levels are actually *awful* - though I would argue that Fastoon 2 and the Tachyon boss fight are the closest any of the 8 main games ever come to being legitimately bad - it's just that the pacing suddenly gets thrown off near the end.

The problem is, ToD peaks at the beginning of its third act with Viceron and Jasindu, both of which are among the best stages in the entire series. Since everything up to that point is fairly consistent and about on the same level of general quality as the PS2 games, when the game stumbles near the end, it's really noticeable. Ublik Passage through the final battle just come across as boring in comparison to the fantastic boss fight with the Kerchu Guardian. Suddenly the platforming and puzzles are almost entirely stripped away and you're left with a competent TPS taking place in a couple of large battlefields and various corridors. It just doesn't feel like Ratchet & Clank anymore, especially when you return to Fastoon for the last level.

So basically, my opinion is that the majority of ToD is every bit as good as the other 7 games (though Deadlocked and Into The Nexus definitely have some similar low points, as well), it's just that it ends on a very bad note compared to what came before and after. This makes it feel less satisfying and kind of disappointing when contrasted with the rest of the series, despite the majority of the game being excellent.

Any thoughts on this, Spark?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

R&C....One day I will marathon this series, I just keep getting swamped with stresses to deal with to the point where I just stick with replaying games that's I already have rather than focusing on building up a PS2 library.

Speaking of replaying games, I decided to start replaying the Gears of War games on a whim. I've played each one at least twice (except for Judgement, which I still never even finished because I don't have it with me), but I haven't actually replayed any of them since the year that I originally played each one.

Playing Gears 1 is really jarring since, while the series never changed that much from entry to entry, I never noticed how much has cumulatively changed after 3 more games in the series. Going back to the first game feels so jarring in that regard, when there are a bunch of handy little touches that I can no longer rely on.

Also, despite being a huge influence on the modern TPS genre, I have to admit that one area where these games never really caved in on (except for Judgement), is with the difficulty. Playing the game on Hardcore (nevermind Insane) leads to a lot of deaths until you firmly grasp a good strategy for each situation. That said, I don't like how the enemy AI on this game is stupidly aggressive. If you don't take them out quick, they will try to rush you, and since they are more bullet-spongy on this game than in the later iterations, that strategy can actually work against you since they take more shots than you do to kill. It's difficult, but more in a frustrating way than a fun one, so I definitely find the sequels and prequel to mostly be improvements.

Also, while the graphics never drastically changed between games, I do have to admit his ugly the color-scheme, or lack thereof, looks in this game now that I'm used to 3 and Judgement which were much more colorful games. Overall, though, it's still a fun game, despite my complaints. However, while I used to love the first game, now that the whole "wow" factor of it is a thing of the past, I do have to say that its a solid TPS, but not a great one. It has aged well, but I wouldn't say that it holds up to the likes of the best games in the genre, like Max Payne, Alan Wake, Resident Evil 4, and Vanquish. That said, I still have a bunch of the game left to replay, but I've gone through Act I, which is enough to reassess the game with.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on September 19, 2014, 08:12:22 PMI've been playing through all the Ratchet & Clank games again (I pretty much have to do this every year, it's like an addiction), and I think I've finally realized why Tools of Destruction feels somewhat unsatisfying to me. It's not that the overall game is worse or less consistent than the others, it's just that all of the weakest levels are shoved in at the end rather than sprinkled throughout. Which isn't to say that any of the levels are actually *awful* - though I would argue that Fastoon 2 and the Tachyon boss fight are the closest any of the 8 main games ever come to being legitimately bad - it's just that the pacing suddenly gets thrown off near the end.
I don't even dislike ToD, but it definitely has the worst pacing of all the R&C games. Basically, you get into a groove at the beginning of the game, then the pace breaks off randomly after soaring through level after level when you crash land and have to find the parts. It happens every now and then in the game which never happens in any of the others. You get breathers, but they're never boring breathers. In ToD, I find myself getting bored quite a bit at points. Even the first game never really got boring despite my issues with some of it. Not to mention, the exploration in the game is barely there-- I actually think it might have as much exploration as Deadlocked.

Quote from: Foggle on September 19, 2014, 08:12:22 PMThe problem is, ToD peaks at the beginning of its third act with Viceron and Jasindu, both of which are among the best stages in the entire series. Since everything up to that point is fairly consistent and about on the same level of general quality as the PS2 games, when the game stumbles near the end, it's really noticeable. Ublik Passage through the final battle just come across as boring in comparison to the fantastic boss fight with the Kerchu Guardian. Suddenly the platforming and puzzles are almost entirely stripped away and you're left with a competent TPS taking place in a couple of large battlefields and various corridors. It just doesn't feel like Ratchet & Clank anymore, especially when you return to Fastoon for the last level.
The end game is easily the worst in the series. The tilt controls in the game are already forced and awful, but having to rely on them to do the most damage in the final boss is aggravating. I also have to admit, collecting the parts wasn't that great the first time I played it. Going back there a second time was certainly not welcome.

That said, the prison break is one of the series best levels.

Quote from: Foggle on September 19, 2014, 08:12:22 PMSo basically, my opinion is that the majority of ToD is every bit as good as the other 7 games (though Deadlocked and Into The Nexus definitely have some similar low points, as well), it's just that it ends on a very bad note compared to what came before and after. This makes it feel less satisfying and kind of disappointing when contrasted with the rest of the series, despite the majority of the game being excellent.
My issue with ToD is that it somehow doesn't feel very complete. The story's oddly detached manner sort of plays into it in how it basically functions for you to get to the end of a level, meet someone to tell you to go somewhere else, then you go there. As opposed to any of the other games where you have options right off the bat to go whatever way you want. Another issue is the Leviathan Souls is a concept that doesn't really matter. Finally, the game is much too easy even for a first run.

It's clear that Insomniac wasn't quite sure where to go with the series with this game, though they didn't drop the ball. The core gameplay (outside of the worst arenas and weapons in the series) is as fun as it ever was, and there are quite a few good levels. I would never recommend a fan skip the game, but I wouldn't tell them to play it first.

Again, not a bad game. But my clear least favorite.

Quote from: Foggle on September 19, 2014, 08:12:22 PMAny thoughts on this, Spark?
You reminded me that I have a copy of the last game still to go through. I think what I'm gonna do is go through it after replaying the other PS3 games. Since I've replayed the PS2 games a bunch of times, I think I'll give these ones another run before capping it off with the last one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 19, 2014, 09:34:00 PM
I don't even dislike ToD, but it definitely has the worst pacing of all the R&C games. Basically, you get into a groove at the beginning of the game, then the pace breaks off randomly after soaring through level after level when you crash land and have to find the parts. It happens every now and then in the game which never happens in any of the others. You get breathers, but they're never boring breathers. In ToD, I find myself getting bored quite a bit at points. Even the first game never really got boring despite my issues with some of it. Not to mention, the exploration in the game is barely there-- I actually think it might have as much exploration as Deadlocked.
Yeah, the pacing is really wonky. At first TOD seems like it's going to be way more fast-paced than the PS2 games, then suddenly it grinds to a halt for a few levels before picking up again. It does this once per act, and the biggest sin in that regard is how the final levels are actually among the slowest in the entire game! Thankfully, they were able to keep up the momentum all throughout QFB and ACIT while also bringing back exploration in the latter.

The only levels with meaningful secondary paths like the PS2 games seem to be Mukow, Ardolis, and Jasindu... and I never even found that last one until my most recent playthrough. A couple of the other planets do have side routes as well, but they're very short and only get you gold bolts.

The first R&C is a much slower game overall, but it never gets boring because it's almost always focused on having long gauntlets of platforming and puzzles rather than shooty bits and mini-games. I think Insomniac was actually trying to go back to that style for certain levels during the Future trilogy, and I believe they greatly succeeded with it in QFB and ACIT.

QuoteThe end game is easily the worst in the series. The tilt controls in the game are already forced and awful, but having to rely on them to do the most damage in the final boss is aggravating. I also have to admit, collecting the parts wasn't that great the first time I played it. Going back there a second time was certainly not welcome.

...I honestly didn't know the tilt controls did anything during the final boss. I turned them off immediately upon noticing they existed. That must be why he could soak up so many of my hits compared to the YouTube videos I watched. :whuh:

I actually like the first Fastoon bit, but it does feel too enclosed for an R&C level. That problem is especially hammered home during the return visit at the end of the game. The prison break is amazing, as is the planet right after that where you fight the boss upside down after riding the grind rail he's constantly destroying parts of. If only the final battle could have been that cool/fun...

QuoteMy issue with ToD is that it somehow doesn't feel very complete. The story's oddly detached manner sort of plays into it in how it basically functions for you to get to the end of a level, meet someone to tell you to go somewhere else, then you go there. As opposed to any of the other games where you have options right off the bat to go whatever way you want. Another issue is the Leviathan Souls is a concept that doesn't really matter. Finally, the game is much too easy even for a first run.

It's clear that Insomniac wasn't quite sure where to go with the series with this game, though they didn't drop the ball. The core gameplay (outside of the worst arenas and weapons in the series) is as fun as it ever was, and there are quite a few good levels. I would never recommend a fan skip the game, but I wouldn't tell them to play it first.

The story's just weird. It's not as funny as the other games nor is it as interesting as ACIT. It also has quite a few plot holes. I loved Crack In Time's plot, but I would gladly trade that kind of storytelling for levels more like the ones in the original trilogy. I will say that I found hunting for Leviathan Souls on Sargasso to at least be more thrilling than the ice crystals in GC, the sewer crystals in UYA, and the gargathon horns in ITN. The former of those made me want to break my controller, while the latter two just ended up being boring after half an hour. (As a side note, that's my main issue with ITN: the only reason it even runs longer than QFB is because you spend an entire third of the game on Thram collecting those stupid horns.)

I agree that it feels like they didn't know what to do with the game. Sometimes it seems like they're just going for Up Your Arsenal in HD, sometimes it seems like they wanted a platformer that was faster paced and more cinematic, and other times it seems like they just dropped a bunch of enemies into a couple box rooms/corridors and called it a day. Then again, maybe it was just rushed. It has a lot more glitches than any other game in the series (HD ports notwithstanding) - there's that weird installation bug where on some PS3s it will only install if you install something else on the machine first (wtf), and it's the only game to have ever actually crashed my PS3. Which it's done twice. It also has the worst damage balancing in the whole series; you will almost always die in three hits no matter how much health/armor you have, and yet it still somehow manages to be easier than the other games. Except for the final boss, which just sucks.

I think TOD has some of the absolute best levels in the entire series, but it's also the least consistent overall installment, so it will always remain near the bottom of my list. Ironically, it feels more like a first attempt to me than the original Ratchet & Clank did. I know you aren't a big fan of that one, but I think R&C1 was probably the most polished and mechanically solid 3D platformer to date when it was released.

Spark Of Spirit

I spent some time this weekend playing it (I never went through Challenge mode before) so I had a fresh experience. There are still a few issues with it.

Quote from: Foggle on September 20, 2014, 01:36:26 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 19, 2014, 09:34:00 PM
Yeah, the pacing is really wonky. At first TOD seems like it's going to be way more fast-paced than the PS2 games, then suddenly it grinds to a halt for a few levels before picking up again. It does this once per act, and the biggest sin in that regard is how the final levels are actually among the slowest in the entire game! Thankfully, they were able to keep up the momentum all throughout QFB and ACIT while also bringing back exploration in the latter.

The only levels with meaningful secondary paths like the PS2 games seem to be Mukow, Ardolis, and Jasindu... and I never even found that last one until my most recent playthrough. A couple of the other planets do have side routes as well, but they're very short and only get you gold bolts.

The first R&C is a much slower game overall, but it never gets boring because it's almost always focused on having long gauntlets of platforming and puzzles rather than shooty bits and mini-games. I think Insomniac was actually trying to go back to that style for certain levels during the Future trilogy, and I believe they greatly succeeded with it in QFB and ACIT.
Replaying it, I have to say my biggest problems are that the bosses (in the arena, too) take so long to defeat unless you upgrade your weapons. And then they're done in seconds. It isn't balanced at all. The other is that the weapons are fairly weak, even fully upgraded. Other than the Judicator, which for some reason levels everything, and the flamethrower, which stun-locks some enemies. Even the Groovitron feels weak compared to ACiT. Mr. Zurkon isn't even worth using.

Also, I hate that tilting puzzle. Hate it. Such a waste of time and a way to cram in more tilting stuff.

Some of the side paths, what little there are, are fairly clever. It's just a shame they only appear to give you gold bolts. Gold bolts don't really do much in ToD.

QuoteThe end game is easily the worst in the series. The tilt controls in the game are already forced and awful, but having to rely on them to do the most damage in the final boss is aggravating. I also have to admit, collecting the parts wasn't that great the first time I played it. Going back there a second time was certainly not welcome.

...I honestly didn't know the tilt controls did anything during the final boss. I turned them off immediately upon noticing they existed. That must be why he could soak up so many of my hits compared to the YouTube videos I watched. :whuh:

I actually like the first Fastoon bit, but it does feel too enclosed for an R&C level. That problem is especially hammered home during the return visit at the end of the game. The prison break is amazing, as is the planet right after that where you fight the boss upside down after riding the grind rail he's constantly destroying parts of. If only the final battle could have been that cool/fun...
Yeah, this is right where my file currently is. Maybe I'll finish it off this weekend and go straight into QFB, but I'm really not looking forward to finishing the last bit. Especially since in Challenge mode you take crazy damage even with the top armor, and your weapons are still really weak.

QuoteMy issue with ToD is that it somehow doesn't feel very complete. The story's oddly detached manner sort of plays into it in how it basically functions for you to get to the end of a level, meet someone to tell you to go somewhere else, then you go there. As opposed to any of the other games where you have options right off the bat to go whatever way you want. Another issue is the Leviathan Souls is a concept that doesn't really matter. Finally, the game is much too easy even for a first run.

The story's just weird. It's not as funny as the other games nor is it as interesting as ACIT. It also has quite a few plot holes. I loved Crack In Time's plot, but I would gladly trade that kind of storytelling for levels more like the ones in the original trilogy. I will say that I found hunting for Leviathan Souls on Sargasso to at least be more thrilling than the ice crystals in GC, the sewer crystals in UYA, and the gargathon horns in ITN. The former of those made me want to break my controller, while the latter two just ended up being boring after half an hour. (As a side note, that's my main issue with ITN: the only reason it even runs longer than QFB is because you spend an entire third of the game on Thram collecting those stupid horns.)

I agree that it feels like they didn't know what to do with the game. Sometimes it seems like they're just going for Up Your Arsenal in HD, sometimes it seems like they wanted a platformer that was faster paced and more cinematic, and other times it seems like they just dropped a bunch of enemies into a couple box rooms/corridors and called it a day. Then again, maybe it was just rushed. It has a lot more glitches than any other game in the series (HD ports notwithstanding) - there's that weird installation bug where on some PS3s it will only install if you install something else on the machine first (wtf), and it's the only game to have ever actually crashed my PS3. Which it's done twice. It also has the worst damage balancing in the whole series; you will almost always die in three hits no matter how much health/armor you have, and yet it still somehow manages to be easier than the other games. Except for the final boss, which just sucks.

I think TOD has some of the absolute best levels in the entire series, but it's also the least consistent overall installment, so it will always remain near the bottom of my list. Ironically, it feels more like a first attempt to me than the original Ratchet & Clank did. I know you aren't a big fan of that one, but I think R&C1 was probably the most polished and mechanically solid 3D platformer to date when it was released.
I knew it wasn't just me! So frustrating. I wouldn't have bought the armor if I wasn't swimming in bolts. Since, you know, the game just throws them at you.

It's also really easy despite the checkpointing being horrendous. I once had the camera turn on me in a narrow hallway which lead me to die from an enemy running into me in a single hit. Another time the camera was pointing upward while I was making a jump which masked the fact that there was no floor. Both times I went back over five minutes in the level. Not cool when you have so many chances to die in one hit, since that's the only real challenge here.

The game really is glitchy. Some animations jerk, things don't always look good when collapsing, and enemies can get stuck in walls.

I suppose this is where I admit I like the crystal hunts in the PS2 game (when my weapons are upgraded enough) since its entirely optional and a nice break for when I want to do something else. Leviathan Souls just get you... more bolts to buy weak armor and useless weapons. Yay.

I've had fun replaying it, but I'm probably not going to to back through it in a long time. Not when I could be playing the other games instead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2014, 05:03:16 PM
Replaying it, I have to say my biggest problems are that the bosses (in the arena, too) take so long to defeat unless you upgrade your weapons. And then they're done in seconds. It isn't balanced at all. The other is that the weapons are fairly weak, even fully upgraded. Other than the Judicator, which for some reason levels everything, and the flamethrower, which stun-locks some enemies. Even the Groovitron feels weak compared to ACiT. Mr. Zurkon isn't even worth using.

Also, I hate that tilting puzzle. Hate it. Such a waste of time and a way to cram in more tilting stuff.

Some of the side paths, what little there are, are fairly clever. It's just a shame they only appear to give you gold bolts. Gold bolts don't really do much in ToD.
I have a theory that the bosses actually scale in HP to the amount of weapons you own in a misguided attempt to get you to use them all. I say this because in my first two fresh playthroughs I only bought the weapons I specifically wanted, whereas on my most recent run I purchased almost every single one. Between my second and third playthrough, Captain Slag and Tachyon suddenly gained so much health that I literally had to use all the ammo from like 10 different guns, including the fully upgraded Alpha Cannon, Judicator, and Doom Blades. While the final fight always sucked, I don't recall it running for nearly that long in the past, and I remember only needing like 3 fully loaded weapons for Slag in the past. I never really use the Grooviton in either game except for laughs, though it can help out in a pinch when you're low on ammo and nanotech. Yeah, Mr. Zurkon is pretty awful compared to the later games (and the Synthenoids from GC!).

The tilting puzzles don't bother me that much. Did you remember to turn the sixaxis controls off? It's awful if you have to tilt the controller, but otherwise it's just a slightly less fun version of the hacking puzzles from the PS2 era.

Only the ones I mentioned in my previous post give you anything aside from gold bolts. And even then, they're all optional.

QuoteI knew it wasn't just me! So frustrating. I wouldn't have bought the armor if I wasn't swimming in bolts. Since, you know, the game just throws them at you.

It's also really easy despite the checkpointing being horrendous. I once had the camera turn on me in a narrow hallway which lead me to die from an enemy running into me in a single hit. Another time the camera was pointing upward while I was making a jump which masked the fact that there was no floor. Both times I went back over five minutes in the level. Not cool when you have so many chances to die in one hit, since that's the only real challenge here.

The game really is glitchy. Some animations jerk, things don't always look good when collapsing, and enemies can get stuck in walls.

I suppose this is where I admit I like the crystal hunts in the PS2 game (when my weapons are upgraded enough) since its entirely optional and a nice break for when I want to do something else. Leviathan Souls just get you... more bolts to buy weak armor and useless weapons. Yay.
I'm honestly scared to not buy the armor. Unless it literally does nothing, I assume everything just one hits you if you don't grab the upgrades as soon as they pop up. I have no idea why they changed the damage system from GC/UYA/DL, the one in those games was perfect! TOD just makes most of the enemies slow and inaccurate to curb their ability to stomp you instantly. Definite downgrade in AI from the PS2 titles. Thankfully, they returned to their senses in QFB.

I've always thought the camera was fine ever since the original R&C, but that's another thing that got randomly messed up in TOD. I had that exact same problem with not being able to see a couple of jumps because it was automatically facing upward.

The weirdest glitch is the one where you get in a turret and suddenly it just turns all the way around so you're facing away from the enemies. Had that happen like four times in a row. But to be fair, enemies can get stuck in walls in the PS2 games as well.

I love hunting the desert crystals! I always collect all of them. But those goddamn snow beasts will prevent me from ever 100%ing the ice crystal collection again...

QuoteI've had fun replaying it, but I'm probably not going to to back through it in a long time. Not when I could be playing the other games instead.
I feel the same way. While I think TOD's best surpasses anything from DL and ITN, those games are much more consistent and less annoying to play. They don't exactly feel like Ratchet & Clank to me (the lack of platforming in Deadlocked and the headache-inducing 30FPS gameplay of Into The Nexus hurt them in my book), but they're still more compulsively playable than Tools of Destruction. I will never understand why so many people consider it to be the best in the series, unless it was the first one they played.

For me: ACIT > GC > UYA > R&C > QFB > DL > ITN > TOD > SM > SAC > A4O > FFA

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm about half-way through Act III on my replay of Gears of War on Hardcore difficulty. Man, I really forgot how many gimmick sections that the first game has. On the one hand, it actually helps make it feel less repetitive than the later games in the franchise. On the other hand, a lot of it just isn't any fun to play. Seriously, who the hell actually thought that fighting exploding wretches was a fun gameplay idea? On their own they are a nuisance. However mixing them in with regular enemy battles is a nightmare because you absolutely have to deal with that before you can fight anything else, which means that you'll have to do a lot of maneuvering while out of cover, and the game's controls just done support that level of versatility.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on September 22, 2014, 07:48:31 PMI have a theory that the bosses actually scale in HP to the amount of weapons you own in a misguided attempt to get you to use them all. I say this because in my first two fresh playthroughs I only bought the weapons I specifically wanted, whereas on my most recent run I purchased almost every single one. Between my second and third playthrough, Captain Slag and Tachyon suddenly gained so much health that I literally had to use all the ammo from like 10 different guns, including the fully upgraded Alpha Cannon, Judicator, and Doom Blades. While the final fight always sucked, I don't recall it running for nearly that long in the past, and I remember only needing like 3 fully loaded weapons for Slag in the past. I never really use the Grooviton in either game except for laughs, though it can help out in a pinch when you're low on ammo and nanotech. Yeah, Mr. Zurkon is pretty awful compared to the later games (and the Synthenoids from GC!).

The tilting puzzles don't bother me that much. Did you remember to turn the sixaxis controls off? It's awful if you have to tilt the controller, but otherwise it's just a slightly less fun version of the hacking puzzles from the PS2 era.

Only the ones I mentioned in my previous post give you anything aside from gold bolts. And even then, they're all optional.
I didn't turn them off because I never checked the options. I figured since it was an early PS3 game they never included the feature. I guess I should have known better from Insomniac.

I used the Groovitron in places where there are so many enemies the action gets choppy, and in that one arena challenge where it barely does anything to help. It barely lasts ten seconds, less if you hit them.

Quote from: Foggle on September 22, 2014, 07:48:31 PMI'm honestly scared to not buy the armor. Unless it literally does nothing, I assume everything just one hits you if you don't grab the upgrades as soon as they pop up. I have no idea why they changed the damage system from GC/UYA/DL, the one in those games was perfect! TOD just makes most of the enemies slow and inaccurate to curb their ability to stomp you instantly. Definite downgrade in AI from the PS2 titles. Thankfully, they returned to their senses in QFB.

I've always thought the camera was fine ever since the original R&C, but that's another thing that got randomly messed up in TOD. I had that exact same problem with not being able to see a couple of jumps because it was automatically facing upward.

The weirdest glitch is the one where you get in a turret and suddenly it just turns all the way around so you're facing away from the enemies. Had that happen like four times in a row. But to be fair, enemies can get stuck in walls in the PS2 games as well.

I love hunting the desert crystals! I always collect all of them. But those goddamn snow beasts will prevent me from ever 100%ing the ice crystal collection again...
That turret glitch is why I stopped using them. Turrets are remarkably weak and I don't want to risk a quick death by being tapped twice lightly before I even get a shot off.

The snow beasts are really awful in the early game. I never bother with them until I have high level weapons and armor. It's not worth it otherwise. I just enjoy wandering around finding things in my spare time since the core gameplay is so fun.

Quote from: Foggle on September 22, 2014, 07:48:31 PMI feel the same way. While I think TOD's best surpasses anything from DL and ITN, those games are much more consistent and less annoying to play. They don't exactly feel like Ratchet & Clank to me (the lack of platforming in Deadlocked and the headache-inducing 30FPS gameplay of Into The Nexus hurt them in my book), but they're still more compulsively playable than Tools of Destruction. I will never understand why so many people consider it to be the best in the series, unless it was the first one they played.

For me: ACIT > GC > UYA > R&C > QFB > DL > ITN > TOD > SM > SAC > A4O > FFA
It's a good game, but when I can play ACiT, UYA, or GC instead, it isn't really a contest. All in all, it's a pretty strong series and definitely one that deserves to be better known outside of the odd franchise decisions since ACiT pulled down its visibility. Whoever is in charge of the franchise has strange ideas.

I don't think I'll be playing the spin-offs, since they don't really interest me, but I am hoping ITN is worth my time. Despite 30fps (still don't get that decision), I could use just that bit extra R&C.

My ratings: ACiT > UYA > GC > QFB > DL > R&C > TOD

One of my dream games would be for Nintendo X Insomniac on a new platformer IP. Maybe fantasy based (since they're obviously never doing Spyro again) and with the ACiT team. ACiT is one of the best games of the generation, that team deserves more work. Much more work. A lot more work. More budget than the Resistance/FUSE team, is what I'm saying.

Spark Of Spirit

So I beat it. Several things for Fastoon.

One, the cannons at the level get destroyed with one shot from the Judicator. You can hit all of them from the center of the stage except one that you can still snipe out from the bridge. No idea what Insomniac was thinking there.

Two, every battle in the stage is right by a weapon seller, which also refills your health. This means you will never really die despite the tediousness of the areas. Again, no idea what they were thinking here.

Three, those floating enemies. Why Insomniac. WHY.

Four, the final boss is easy to kill because he suffers from Incinerator weakness like everything else in the game. In the last form, I simply threw out a Golden Groovitron before he fired the rockets and they never came out. So I stun locked him in that and the Incinerator and he was done in two minutes. It makes an awful boss hilariously pathetic.

So, the weapon tier would be:

Overpowered Tier
Incinerator
The Judicator
Net Cannon / Shredder Claw combo
Golden Groovitron

Effective Tier
Fusion Bomb
Alpha Cannon
Lightning Ravager (Loses points for not working on electrified enemies)
Toxic Swarmers (Weaker than the turrets from any other game)

Eh Tier
Tempest Launcher
Nitro Reaper

Don't Even Buy Tier
Raptor Launcher
Magma Combuster
Plasma Stalkers
Doom Blades
Every gadget except the Golden Groovitron

Foggle

I believe the Crack In Time team divided shortly after the release of that game. Half of them went on to make the sister studio that developed A4O, FFA, and ITN, while the rest stayed at the original Burbank location. I believe the latter group is the one behind Sunset Overdrive. Both are working together again on the PS4 R&C re-imagining, for the first time since ACIT!

Nexus is a very good game, but it has some problems that the other installments don't. The drop in framerate is a lot more noticeable than I thought it would be (and it feels like it actually goes below 20 FPS at times), the new control scheme can make things really difficult if you're used to the PS2 era "strafe with L2 and hold O to fire auto-aimed shots" style of play, and there's way too much filler. The only reason ITN even lasts longer than QFB is because you'll spend around 2 hours hunting for Gargathon horns on Thram - which gets boring after 30 minutes - and the arena, which isn't as good as in the PS2 games or ACIT. The three main planets are all excellent and lengthy, however; were the side content reduced and the price lowered accordingly, I'd probably like it a little more than Quest For Booty.

I would love to see Insomniac team up with Nintendo to make the greatest 3D platformer of all time, but I don't think they're too keen on working together, so I doubt that'll ever happen. :(

I had no idea the Incinerator was so good. I never use the flamethrower weapons except in the original R&C because they don't really appeal to me outside of specific situations.

Doom Blades are pretty awesome, actually. They proved to be one of my most effective weapons all the way up to the end of the game.

Raptor Launcher is fucking awful. Easily the worst weapon in the whole game. It's underpowered from the moment it becomes available to buy!

Spark Of Spirit

Every time I used Doom Blades I'd run out of ammo long before a took even a quarter of a bosses life, and they don't make enemies flinch at all. I just didn't bother using them when I had weapons that would.

All in all, it was fun, so I'm looking forward to playing QFB again. I remember really liking it. It could have been a tad longer, but it's hard to complain for bite-sized gaming.

That said, I just realized I got a code for QFB with my copy of ITN. Does anybody want it?