What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I don't think he was saying that you could stealth your way through every encounter in the game. I think he meant it as there being a lot of situations throughout the game where stealth killing would be really useful if you understood how to use stealth to your advantage. Of course there would still be plenty of situations where you can't it wouldn't want to use it.

Also: http://youtu.be/c7LlDi3EMUw (skip to 12:20)

Foggle

Honestly, I think I have a pretty good grasp on the stealth in TEW, and I've only been able to use it a couple of times since the end of chapter 3. The majority of the game after that point doesn't really seem to give you that option, and is clearly more balanced for action.

Awesome video! I probably won't ever use that strategy unless I need to, though; fighting El Gigante like normal is just too much fun. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I'll find out when I play it for myself, anyways. I'm just saying that there's often more than one way to play a game, even when you are pretty sure that there's no other way to do something. I've learned that countless times through my playthroughs of many other games on their harder difficulty settings.

Foggle

There are definitely tons of gameplay options available to you in TEW - there's at least 2 or 3 ways to go about every scenario! I just think the stealth stops being viable after the first part of the game. I've been reading a lot of other people's comments on the game as I'm playing, and it honestly seems like almost everyone agrees that stealth post-chapter 3 is rarely feasible.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 17, 2014, 05:31:26 PM
Shao Kahn is kicking my ass on Mortal Kombat.
Use cheesy moves like teleports or lots of projectiles and uppercuts. He was made to be cheesed as a nod to old arcade bosses.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

He hasn't teleport on me but yeah, I was thinking they made him this freaky cheap on purpose. A true MK Walker...er runner.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There are plenty of good ways to make nods to old arcade games. Designing a boss that you have to use cheap tactics to beat is not one of the better ways of doing it. And also, it seems like a TON of fighting games like to pay homage to old arcade bosses considering how many of them have broken final boss fights. There's hard, and then there's just plain cheap.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd still prefer a legitimately challenging boss that could be overcome with actual skill. :>

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 17, 2014, 05:38:18 PM
There are plenty of good ways to make nods to old arcade games. Designing a boss that you have to use cheap tactics to beat is not one the better ways of doing it. And also, it seems like a TON of fighting games like to pay homage to old arcade bosses considering how many of them have broken final boss fights. There's hard, and then there's just plain cheap.

This is exactly why I hate fighting game final bosses.

gunswordfist

Join the club, we have tshirts.

DOA..2, I believe, (the first one on Xbox) is probably my least favorite. They had the nerve to change the fucking camera angle.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That was DOA3, actually. DOA2's boss actually followed normal gameplay rules, and is one of the few fighting game bosses that isn't overly cheap. DOA4's boss is actually even worse than 3, though.  The boss in 3 can at least be dealt with if you understand how to kill him fast, but DOA4's boss straight up has an unfair advantage by flat-out breaking the rules of the game by teleporting out of your attacks or even countering them MID-FUCKING-COMBO! That's right, you can't count on stun frames for shit. The boss will just do whatever it wants whenever it feels like it. It's the epitome of cheap design, and essentially requires you to just be lucky enough to win.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 17, 2014, 04:49:03 PM
Did those people also do no upgrade runs?
I don't know? The game literally came out four days ago. Most people haven't even beaten it on Casual or Survival yet.