What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Okay, so I was wrong about that helicopter part. I found what I needed to beat it by crossing the swamp. I guess I missed this before because, well, I already tried crossing the swamp previously.

talonmalon333

I beat Metal Gear 2 tonight. It did have some frustrating backtracking, as well as some typical "What do I do now?" 8-bit game moments, but overall I am very pleased. So now I've beaten the MSX games. Both are good. I may even return to Metal Gear 2, someday. I probably won't be going back to the first game, though.

I suppose I could play the NES Metal Gear games now. But I don't think I'll do that.

talonmalon333

By the way, I have a question, Foggle.

Spoiler

Why did MGS3 explain how Big Boss lost his eye if MG2 already did that? We learn that he lost one of his eyes before the events of Metal Gear 2 (as well as other body parts), but we then learn that he also lost an eye during the events of MGS3. So, did he just lose it twice?
[close]

Foggle

Avaitor

Oh, I forgot to mention, I found a copy of Hyrule Warriors (UNOPENED, mind you) at GoodWill for $20. I still don't have a Wii-U, but I think I need to go back and get that for when I do.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

True but MGS3 is one of the few games in the series with a good story, so it's weird that it made this goof.

Foggle

:lol: I honestly don't know. Maybe he had a fake eye and fake limbs in MG1?

talonmalon333

Spark, how come you don't like MGS2, aside from the story and Kojima's style?

Unless those are the reasons why you dislike it, which is fine. I'm just wondering if there are other reasons.

Foggle

I know you aren't asking me, but the only thing I don't like about MGS2 is the storytelling. I actually think the story itself is very interesting - in concept - but the writing and directing are just completely abysmal IMO. The cutscenes are so long and numerous as to be painful. The gameplay is pretty damn good to this day, though.

gunswordfist

yes he is. mgs2 has some of the most fun stealth gameplay out there.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Personally, I think the MGS2 story is just too convoluted and silly. MGS1 and 3 felt so much more simplistic and character-driven in terms of plot. I was just on the Wikipedia page for 2, looking at the summary to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything, and this passage sums up how I feel about the game's story. It refers to the end, just before Raiden fights Solidus:

QuoteRaiden is contacted by another AI, introducing itself as a representative of the Patriots, who reveals that the true purpose of the simulation was to see how well they could simulate and control human behavior in order to prevent society from dumbing down due to trivial information drowning valuable knowledge and inconvenient truths.

It's just a big "... what?" moment. And keep in mind the game gives this explanation in addition to the "the simulation was to create a warrior equal to Snake" idea, all while the game is throwing at you all sorts of other concepts. And there's no end to it because, as Foggle said, the cutscenes that this all takes place in are way too long (and without the ability to pause cutscenes). The final cutscene is, what, 40+ minutes? And on top of all that, you have to listen to Raiden's incessant whining, plus Rose trying to outdo his whining with her nagging. Seriously, Rose, the dude is trying to survive a mission and you're complaining about his room? :lol:

I also don't really like the characters, really. Aside from Rose and Raiden, I don't care for Fatman. I hated Vamp. I can suspend my disbelief for all the silliness Metal Gear throws at me. But seeing him running across water just made me wonder what I was even playing anymore. Also, he comes back from the dead. Then there's Fortune, or whatever her name is. The "She really is Lady Luck" moment at the end of the game was just cringe worthy. Again, I'll suspend my disbelief, but that's just too much.

So yeah, the story is my main problem. It's has problems, too, though. The Big Shell is a boring level and is a serious downgrade from Shadow Moses. And you spent nearly the whole game just backtracking all around it. I also don't care for the boss battles. Though admittedly, I didn't care for those in MGS1, either.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

MGS2 and MGRR are the only 2 Metal Gear games that I've played in full, and ironically both star Raiden. Not surprisingly, he's a lot more entertaining in the latter game.

Daxdiv

Been playing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker since I got it for Christmas. Pretty fun game all around, really like the puzzle solving atmosphere. The replayability does come from trying to complete the other goals in the maps and the hidden puzzles as well, which does help a bit since the game is pretty short. No wonder it cost like $40. Also, do kind of like how you can explore some of the worlds from Super Mario 3D World as Captain Toad himself.