gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 09:29:18 PM
The devil is real...
I almost posted that too. Best comment: "My God. This song is the Resident Evil: Director's Cut Basement theme of Nintendo music."

You know, I detested Yoshi's Island DS's soundtrack, but at least it had decent tracks like Wildlands. This game has like three passable tracks and a pile of crap.

Please Good Feel, save Yoshi from the mediocrity!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 13, 2015, 08:10:31 PM
The soundtrack to Yoshi's New Island is bad.

Real bad.

Thankfully, Woolly World should have the best Yoshi soundtrack since the original Yoshi's Island, but man, they could do so much better than this.

And even up to this point, I still don't know what's worse; the kazoo-laden torture score, or just the overall painstaking slog of a gameplay experience. It's just so bad; like, I dig the art style, visually it's a pretty nice looking game.....but man, what an absolute fucking pile of crap otherwise. This thing makes Yoshi's Story look like a damn arthouse masterpiece.

Spark Of Spirit

The game is so boring. Uninspired is probably the best word to describe it. It's just so tired.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

What do you guys think a 3D Yoshi game would be like?

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

I would make him play like Yoshi in SMG2. So fun to use.

Unfortunately it would probably play like that screenshot above. Boring.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 16, 2015, 10:10:57 PM
The game is so boring. Uninspired is probably the best word to describe it. It's just so tired.

"Uninspired" is putting it mildly. I know Mario games aren't usually much for story, but the plot was seriously the exact same thing as the original Yoshi's Island.....only the stork delivered the babies to the wrong parents after that all went down, and then is ambushed by Kamek a second time.

I mean, come on. Say what you will about DS, at least they kinda tried on that one, with the addition of new baby characters. This didn't even have that much going for it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on April 16, 2015, 10:21:54 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 16, 2015, 10:10:57 PM

"Uninspired" is putting it mildly. I know Mario games aren't usually much for story, but the plot was seriously the exact same thing as the original Yoshi's Island.....only the stork delivered the babies to the wrong parents after that all went down, and then is ambushed by Kamek a second time.

I mean, come on. Say what you will about DS, at least they kinda tried on that one, with the addition of new baby characters. This didn't even have that much going for it.
Technically with this game it would be a third time.

The thing is, I don't think there's anything about the game that is outright bad. There just wasn't really any effort put into it. But it is a competently made game with solid level design.

The little quirks do annoy, though. Checkpoints don't save your stars (Why?), some of the coins and flowers are in invisible places (infuriating for 100%), enemies sometimes re-spawn just off screen to hit you during a blind jump (Why?), the bosses are lame and Kamek replaces fortress bosses (Why?), and the game looks identical in every way to the first two games. It's also slowly paced. Really slow.

Without question, the worst issue is the music and the slow speed of the game. Just like DS, it is clear that Artoon does not get what exactly made the first game a classic. Nintendo needs to stop hiring them to make Yoshi games.

I still think it's better than Yoshi Story, though.

Kiddington

The pace is absolutely what kills it for me. Gameplay-wise, it probably would be fine if it wasn't such an absolute slog just to finish a level.

I have no desire to play this again, so who knows if I'd ever change my tune. Probably not. It's bad.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 16, 2015, 10:29:33 PM
I still think it's better than Yoshi Story, though.

Hmm.....

Spark Of Spirit

Also forgot that Yoshi's feet are so distracting. Why are they so stupidly large? He doesn't even has any legs.  :whuh:

Anyway, I made it to world 4 in Maximo. I believe this as far as I've ever made it in the game before. It's really tough and there's still one world to go.

gunswordfist

Are you sure he has no legs? that's a serious accussssation?

Spark Of Spirit

Just finished the level "Down the Gullet" in Maximo. Man, it was tough. Lots of platforming, tough enemies, and secrets. It was the first level that I didn't get at least an 80% level completion rate. I only got 58%.

And this is only world 4. I still have one more world to go.