What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 20, 2015, 09:30:04 PM
No, I'm talking about the N64 game, actually. SMRPG gets spit on from kids who grew up on the N64 all the time, it's not overrated at all.

I grew up on the SNES. And aside from personal nostalgia, I don't see what's so special about it, to be honest. I feel like it's an average Final Fantasy game with a Mario coat of paint. Those points you mentioned can really be applied to it. :P

EDIT:

Well, aside from the partners. They are less interchangeable and are mostly just underdeveloped. The ones that were created for this game, I mean.

Spark Of Spirit

The difference would be that SMRPG invented almost everything in Paper Mario since its original name was SMRPG2 and was designed to be a sequel. Action commands, the seven stars, hammers and jumps as the main attacks, and silent pantomime Mario. Paper Mario didn't pioneer any of that. I would argue that the story for SMRPG was also inventive considering it was not only the first time Bowser was not the main villain, it was also the first time he was on your side, and it was the first game to introduce game exclusive party members.

Whether you like one or the other better is one thing, but I find most people who rabidly love the first Paper Mario and treat it as a classic don't give SMRPG any credit for what it did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 20, 2015, 09:53:34 PM
The difference would be that SMRPG invented almost everything in Paper Mario whose original name was SMRPG2. Action commands, the seven stars, hammers and jumps as the main attacks, and silent pantomime Mario. Paper Mario didn't pioneer any of that. I would argue that the story for SMRPG was also inventive considering it was not only the first time Bowser was not the main villain, it was also the first time he was on your side, and it was the first game to introduce game exclusive party members.

Whether you like one or the other better is one thing, but I find most people who rabidly love the first Paper Mario and treat it as a classic don't give SMRPG any credit for what it did.

True, the action commands in particular were a great idea. However, they were far more expanded in the N64 game. It didn't pioneer those things but I do think it expanded them. It also made you feel more connected to the world by having more control in it, like being able to use your hammer for things outside battle and jump smash things. It felt like a more unique RPG, whereas the original felt more like a beginner's Final Fantasy. And sure, having new villains is fine, but aside from some cool designs, were any of them memorable in any way?

Spark Of Spirit

Well, personally, I thought Mack, Croco, Belome, Bowyer, Punchinello, Booster, the living cake, Johnny the Shark, Valentina and Dodo, the Axem Rangers, and Smithy were all pretty memorable. I think every Mario RPG except Partners in Time excel in enemy designs, though. Again, I don't think SMRPG gets enough credit for what it does and the standards it sets.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Paper Mario was one of my favorite games as a kid (still is to this day) and I love SMRPG... I actually like them both more than TTYD (which is also great).

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 20, 2015, 11:13:30 PM
Paper Mario was one of my favorite games as a kid (still is to this day) and I love SMRPG... I actually like them both more than TTYD (which is also great).
Now that's an opinion I don't see too often! My personal favorite is Bowser's Inside Story, though I'm not sure if talon thinks it's the best game ever or the worst this week.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 20, 2015, 11:18:28 PM
Now that's an opinion I don't see too often! My personal favorite is Bowser's Inside Story, though I'm not sure if talon thinks it's the best game ever or the worst this week.
Yeah, it's pretty uncommon. :lol: I will admit that the main reason I prefer PM64 over TTYD is probably due to nostalgia. They're both just lovely. SMRPG is great as well, especially the silly/cute way in which the story is presented.

Sadly, I've yet to play any of the M&L games. I have Dream Team, but I want to play them in release order. I might get Superstar Saga on the eShop soon though!

Spark Of Spirit

Superstar Saga is great. I believe members of the original SMRPG team (including the composer!) formed AlphaDream and you can definitely feel the similarities between the two. Most consider this the best game in the series. It's my second favorite.

Partners In Time is entirely skippable.  The battle system is overly convoluted, the enemies are boring, it's not as funny, and the game is just flat. Big disappointment.

Bowser's Inside Story, some annoying mini-games aside, is my personal favorite Mario RPG. Incredibly funny story, the BEST villain in the entire RPG line, creative level design, playable Bowser is a riot, stellar music, and an ending that feels like the end of the series. Really want to play this again soon.

I haven't played Dream Team or even bought it yet. Dunno why, but I'll probably get around to it eventually. BIS just felt so much like a final chapter that I guess it hasn't dawned on me that it's not one yet.

The Mario & Luigi series is great, though I do wish AlphaDream could get a chance on something new next. Speaking of, I wonder if what they were working on will be at E3? Should be interesting to see.

Foggle

I might skip PIT, but it's pretty cheap on the eShop, so I'll probably still give it a try if I like SS.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, one downside to Dream Team is that Fawful is not in it.

How they could make a Mario & Luigi game and not have Fawful is beyond me. Part of the problem with PiT was that he was only a cameo and not a main character like SS and BIS.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

How is Super Paper Mario, anyway? I'm kind of curious about that one (but I have no interest in Sticker Star).

Spark Of Spirit

It's a good game, as is Sticker Star. But they're pretty much nothing like the first two games.

SPM's biggest problem is that it might be the easiest game ever made with a HP bar. Your chances of ever being challenged are overwhelmingly low, especially if you're any good at platformers. That said, the story is really good, the gameplay is unique, and it is quite enjoyable to play through. I'd say give it a shot if you haven't played it.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2015, 12:21:43 AM
It's a good game, as is Sticker Star. But they're pretty much nothing like the first two games.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on SS, then! I've almost never seen anyone talk positively about it.

QuoteSPM's biggest problem is that it might be the easiest game ever made with a HP bar. Your chances of ever being challenged are overwhelmingly low, especially if you're any good at platformers. That said, the story is really good, the gameplay is unique, and it is quite enjoyable to play through. I'd say give it a shot if you haven't played it.
Sometimes I like a good story with easy gameplay (as long as it isn't outright boring), so I might pick it up!