Adventure Time

Started by Avaitor, December 31, 2010, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

My god, Finn has become really unlikeable recently. And they've been making the show really, really dark too. I like the later direction, because I do think that even shows made for a primary audience of children should tell mature, developed or smart and intelligent stories (note: maturity in a tv show is not equivalent to having "adult" content). But yesterday's episode, holy mother of... that was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in any tv show. How did they get away with that episode? Could this be a sign of more leniency in content in shows made for a primary audience of children? I'd hope so, but only if it's done right, and yesterday's episode...no, just no.

Regular Show, in contrast, had an amazing season finale in what was easily the show's best episode yet! Whereas Adventure Time is trying to tell darker stories and not succeeding (yet), Regular Show is developing it's strengths in it's humor and characters, which helps pull off genuinely emotional moments. Neither show is a top favorite of mine, hardly close, but in terms of direction and consistency, I'd say Regular Show has been far more rewarding and entertaining.

But yeah, the last two Adventure Time's. See 'em to believe 'em guys. Seriously disturbing and unlikable stuff there.  :wth:

Nel_Annette

Both shows disappointed me. Lemongrab worked for one episode. One. Everything afterward has hardly been funny at all.

And I really wish both Adventure Time and Regular Show would just can it with the shipping already and get back to what made both shows great.

LumRanmaYasha

Lemongrab has been more disturbing than anything else. Aside from his first episode, the only other time I've considered him funny was the episode where he and the other minor characters were trapped in a dungeon or whatever and had to team up to get their way out.

I think Regular Show is still pretty good. Adventure Time keep trying to move in a more serious direction, and it's just not working. I've never found the series to be incredibly funny, but lately it's been rather humorless to me overall. Last episode I really liked was BMO's second solo episode, and that wasn't a particularly funny episode either, but was more along the lines of a character episode, which I generally tend to enjoy.

Goldstar

Quote from: Nel_Annette on August 13, 2013, 01:11:50 AM
I really wish both Adventure Time and Regular Show would just can it with the shipping already and get back to what made both shows great.

Seconded. I can't comment on Adventure Time, as I stopped watching that a while ago, but seriously, enough with the courtships already. The "will they or won't they" teasing with Mordecai and Margaret is my least favorite aspect of Regular Show. Just let Mordo get the girl so we can move on.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Peanutbutter

Finn acted a little weird in the episode where he broke up with Flame Princess, but he was fine in last night's episode. Lemongrab was the one who sucked. I also don't think he's funny. But, he apparently has a large fanbase, so they were given a bone.

I haven't seen Regular Show this week yet. But I couldn't believe my ears when Mordecai said in the promo that he was just now going to ask Margaret to be his girlfriend. What the heck? Wasn't he already officially with Margaret after the Friend Zone incident? Not to mention he met Margaret's father a short while ago. That really seemed to cement that they were now a couple. Maybe this week's episode was supposed to air sooner but didn't because of a production error. As long as gets to ask her and she accepts, I'll be fine with the episode.

That promo/premise aside they've done a great job with Mordecai's relationship with Margaret.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 13, 2013, 07:49:02 AM
As long as gets to ask her and she accepts, I'll be fine with the episode.

:butbut: Just... watch the episode. I've gotten sick of them yanking our chains.

Just get back to the park and all the crazy shit that happens there. Hell, have him date that cloud girl or whatever.

Daxdiv

So the guy that made/Directed the Kick-Heart and the Ping-Pong anime guest directed an episode of Adventure Time. Here's a small clip that's been making rounds on my Twitter feed.

LumRanmaYasha

Well. I like this much better than Kick-Heart and Ping-pong already. This should be an interesting episode.

I like how Adventure Time is periodically having guest animators work on the show. It's a nice change of pace and a great way to experiment with what they can do with the show. In general, I appreciate the liberties and how experimental they've been with it this past season, myself.

Avaitor

As you guys probably know, I've been watching the series in full recently, and I made it to "Simon and Marcy". That really is a fantastic episode, and it helps to cool me over (haha) on the Ice King, who's always left me cold (more puns! Badum!).

This really is a good show, and it feels like something I would have been all over as a kid. Ooo is so full of life and creativity, so I can't help but admire the effort put into detail. On the other hand, it isn't always the funniest show made, and a decent sum of episodes come off as flat to me. When it's good though, I'm there, and I can see why so many others are.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I've never really found Adventure Time all that funny, but I do think it has some damn great episodes and really does wonders in exploring and developing it's characters and world. Some episodes miss the mark, but others are some fantastic television. Watching the show progress through the years has been a very interesting, enjoyable experience, to say the least.

Avaitor

Very true, and I think that I've always been more of a fan of the show's world building as opposed to its comedic tails, which is probably why I wasn't fully able to get into it at first.

In hindsight, I remember "It Came From the Nightosphere" being one of my favorites from the handful of episodes I saw way back when, which helps to explain that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Pen Ward stepped down as the series' showrunner.

It seems he did that sometime during season 5 without any formal announcement.

Peanutbutter

Huh, had no idea. It's going into a seventh season, is it not? The show doesn't feel any different from a couple seasons ago, so hopefully it stays that way.

LumRanmaYasha

The show is in capable hands, and the sixth season has been solid so far, so I don't think AT will decrease in quality anytime soon, if not at all.

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 03, 2014, 07:58:01 PMThe show is in capable hands, and the sixth season has been solid so far, so I don't think AT will decrease in quality anytime soon, if not at all.

I dunno. I thought season 5 was pretty weak.

I'll agree that season 6 is certainly much better, though.