Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

I just had to go and get curious didn't I?  From Tvtropes' High Octane Nightmare Fuel page:

QuoteThere was a clip of an episode from the Ren and Stimpy Adult Party cartoon ("Ren Seeks Help") where Ren was getting therapy from Mr. Horse and tried to find out why he is behaving the way he always does. When Mr. Horse angrily said that he (Ren) is insane because of his acts, Ren was horrified by the fact he turned on him. Mr. Horse then started to beat the mess out of him. Unfortunately for him, Ren hits him with the phone and scratches him viciously. When Mr. Horse reaches for the gun, Ren grabs it and pistol whips him mercilessly until he's dead. When the authorities (or animal control, been a while) came, they saw Mr. Horse dead on the ground and Ren, whose face resembled something like a demonic dog at the time. Ren was then carried away while he was wriggling rabidly.

:wth:

Is this supposed to be funny? This sound like something out of a psychological horror, not freakin' Ren and Stimpy. Even if this was played completely serious, it' not an issue a show like Ren & Stimpy should be tackling. According to wikipedia, this show lasted only 7 episodes. With shit like this, I can see why, this isn't what people want to see in a comedy.

(There was also another part of the site describing another part of the episode in more detail. For the sake of everyone's sanity, I decided against quoting it)

Everything else I've read about the show is pretty much everything wrong with "Adult cartoons" in a nutshell.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I wonder how many people instantly recognized John K's style of animation in the latest Simpsons episode and then wondered whatever happened to him.

His unfunny sense of humor snuck into a 1 minute couch gag too. In that minute alone, there was misogynistic undertones, horribly overused squash and stretch, beyond ugly caricatures, and in only the kind of twisted humor John K finds funny, Homer literally kills Bart and leaves his body on the couch, with the ending having the rest of the family sitting next to his corpse. To top it off, the gag ends with his signature being imprinted on the back of the TV.

That was the worst part of the show.

...And I just noticed this aired months ago. Shows how far behind I am. Anyways, his Cartoon Brew interview is amusing as fuck.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on February 10, 2012, 03:18:08 AM
I just had to go and get curious didn't I?  From Tvtropes' High Octane Nightmare Fuel page:

QuoteThere was a clip of an episode from the Ren and Stimpy Adult Party cartoon ("Ren Seeks Help") where Ren was getting therapy from Mr. Horse and tried to find out why he is behaving the way he always does. When Mr. Horse angrily said that he (Ren) is insane because of his acts, Ren was horrified by the fact he turned on him. Mr. Horse then started to beat the mess out of him. Unfortunately for him, Ren hits him with the phone and scratches him viciously. When Mr. Horse reaches for the gun, Ren grabs it and pistol whips him mercilessly until he's dead. When the authorities (or animal control, been a while) came, they saw Mr. Horse dead on the ground and Ren, whose face resembled something like a demonic dog at the time. Ren was then carried away while he was wriggling rabidly.

Is this supposed to be funny? This sound like something out of a psychological horror, not freakin' Ren and Stimpy. Even if this was played completely serious, it' not an issue a show like Ren & Stimpy should be tackling. According to wikipedia, this show lasted only 7 episodes. With shit like this, I can see why, this isn't what people want to see in a comedy.

(There was also another part of the site describing another part of the episode in more detail. For the sake of everyone's sanity, I decided against quoting it)

Everything else I've read about the show is pretty much everything wrong with "Adult cartoons" in a nutshell.
It is actually played completely straight, though they left the part out where Ren literally bites the hand off one of the guys.

Like I said, it's really as awful as it sounds.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The worst part is, according to John K. and others, APC is exactly what the original show would've been without Nickelodeon censoring it. Think about that for a second. No wonder the Spumco era was so short.

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on February 10, 2012, 03:44:09 AM
...And I just noticed this aired months ago. Shows how far behind I am. Anyways, his Cartoon Brew interview is amusing as fuck.
QuoteOn a personal note, I worked on the revival of Ren and Stimpy nearly ten years ago
All credibility lost. This guy is part of the problem.

Kiddington

The guy is as overrated as they come, and his ego clearly reflects that. People continue to heed to his word like gospel, obviously not taking into account the fact that he hasn't contributed a goddamn thing to the industry in well over 10 years. He just sits in the background, complains that nobody "gets him", and bitches that everyone who has a job in animation today is an overrated hack that doesn't deserve any ounce of credit. Honestly, he's about as unlikeable as it gets.

...and as far as his whole notion that the animation industry "blackballed" him into not being able to find steady work for all these years after R&S (he's said this more than once), well, can you rightfully blame networks for not wanting to work with this guy? All these years later, and the concept of burning bridges is still totally foreign to him. He continues to put people down, and trash their hard work every chance he gets. He's just such an asshole, I swear. Hasn't changed a bit.

Spark Of Spirit

The Ripping friends was pretty awful too, and so is the entire concept of George Liquor. So I mean, he contributes to the industry, it's just that most don't like what he's contributing. And rightfully so. But still nothing he has ever done is as bad as APC was.

It would have been like if Tex Avery or Bob Clampett couldn't write a joke and just relied on how good the animation looked. No one would even watch their work to this day if that was all they did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Funi seriously picked this show up? What the hell?

Quotethey can't be helped.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on February 14, 2012, 02:57:10 PM
Funi seriously picked this show up? What the hell?
Yeah, FUNi saw that the fanservice shows like Sekirei are selling, and seem to pulling out more in a short-sighted attempt to make money off of fanservice, and we all know how well that went for other companies that tried it.

Quotethey can't be helped.
:sly:

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

QuoteSena tries to make an argument over how eroge has far more intellectual and artistic value than books such as The Brothers Karamazov
There are seriously cunts who think this way, too. First person to tell me any of Nasu's or Ryukishi's shit even comes close to touching real literature gets pistol-whipped.

QuoteSena congratulates him with the promise of being allowed to lick her feet
:unimpressed:

QuoteAnd Christ, what does it say when ?not having incest? is considered a plus for an anime?
God, the anime industry's current condition is fucking dire.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 20, 2012, 11:48:43 PMGod, the anime industry's current condition is fucking dire.

I don't know when these people took control of the industry, but it needs to stop.

Foggle

It's like they're really on /a/!

Daxdiv

Then where are my tripcode users then? not sure if I could say the "f" word that can also mean a stick.