Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

talonmalon333

Wow, gunswordfist. That was one of your worst moments ever.

Dr. Insomniac

I suddenly have this thing that you humans refer to as "empathy".

Also, how is praising Forrest Gump an unpopular opinion? That movie has an 8.7 on IMDB and gets lauded as Tom Hanks' best role of all time. Yeah, people are a little frustrated that it beat Pulp and Shawshank, but as 18 years of film history have passed, all three of these movies have been equally referred to as classics.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 20, 2013, 12:58:46 AM
Also, how is praising Forrest Gump an unpopular opinion? That movie has an 8.7 on IMDB and gets lauded as Tom Hanks' best role of all time. Yeah, people are a little frustrated that it beat Pulp and Shawshank, but as 18 years of film history have passed, all three of these movies have been equally referred to as classics.

From my perspective there are still a lot of film buffs out there who love to put Forrest Gump down with severe disdain being that "it didn't deserve to beat out Pulp Fiction." That's all a matter of personal opinions, of course, but I've seen enough people say that it didn't deserve the Oscar that I can kind of see how that mind-set has become the popular opinion whereas it has become less popular to say that it was as good as it was made out to be. Either way, though, its one of my favorite movies ever, so I'm fine with it having won the Oscar. That said, I should point out that I largely don't agree with the Academy Awards and find them to be incredibly biased as far as many of their Best Picture selections go, so even if Forrest Gump didn't win, I wouldn't really care what they picked in its place. As it stands, though, Forrest Gump was a lot more of a "conventional" good movie compared to Pulp Fiction, so of course it won the Oscar over a Tarantino film. The Academy Awards have made it clear that they prefer more traditional film-making over something more unique.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 19, 2013, 05:09:27 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 19, 2013, 02:12:55 PM
I don't think the first two movies are masterpieces and Spider-Man 3 is undefendable shit.

Way to respond to a post that I made months ago, dumb-shit.

Also, read the title of this thread, and then consider what little sense there is for your response in the first place. But then again, it'd probably be asking too much of you to use just a little bit of common sense, wouldn't it? :>
I couldn't resist, asshat. :bleh:

Ok, I think Raging Bull is an extremely overrated cartoonish movie and any Rocky except 5 is superior to it. Between all of Deniro and Pesci back and forth bickering and the fights that look even more ridiculous than Rocky's (well at least how they are shot), I couldn't take the movie seriously at all.

The Shining is a boring horror movie that isn't scary at all.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2013, 12:47:29 AM
Wow, gunswordfist. That was one of your worst moments ever.
Oh crap, I thought Daxdiv was you. Well you are dumbfuck enough to comment on something twice so I had to recheck that. ;)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

GregX

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 20, 2013, 02:05:38 AM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 20, 2013, 12:58:46 AM

From my perspective there are still a lot of film buffs out there who love to put Forrest Gump down with severe disdain being that "it didn't deserve to beat out Pulp Fiction."

*Raises hand*

;)

Avaitor

When all is considered, the Oscars are nothing more but Hollywood giving itself a pat on the back. It makes plenty of sense that Pulp Fiction didn't win, back when independent films were still a new, exclusive thing, while Forrest Gump was winning hearts and breaking records. It has BP written all over it.

We're more open to independent films winning now, if you even count the Weinsteins as indie at this point, and occasionally the Academy will throw a bone to the British industry or something, but the awards are still and will always be about pleasing Hollywood.

Sometimes I feel like the Palme d'Or is a more important award than an Oscar.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

What was that? You're interrupting me in the middle of my production of an Anne Frank biopic starring Dakota Fanning that has already won several Golden Globes in advance.

Avaitor

Not Chloe Grace Moretz?

And you better make sure that Justin Bieber did the soundtrack. After all, she probably would've been a Belieber.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I hope you're calling it Anne Frank: I Want To Belieb.

Dr. Insomniac

I also can't wait for the film adaptation of Night, starring Chris Colfer as Elie Wiesel. With Akiva Goldsman writing, and Soulja Boy playing his sidekick named Rapler.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: GregX on April 21, 2013, 06:00:44 PM
*Raises hand*

;)

I can perfectly understand that, but I just feel that its not really Forrest Gump's fault that Pulp Fiction didn't win. Its the Academy's fault for going with the more conventional movie like they always do. ;)

Nel_Annette

Tarantino on the whole just doesn't do much for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For what its worth, I liked his last 2 movies, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained, which is a big surprise to me. I still need to give Pulp Fiction another shot. As it stands, its a film that I can certainly respect a lot (I have come to respect Tarantino a lot as a director, even if I'm not a fan of most of his work), but I have never actually been able to get into it, yet. I do love that infamous scene around the beginning of the movie, with Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta, though.