Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I think all of his movies are fantastic except Death Proof. They're not for everyone, though.

Avaitor

Back to the Oscars, I think in recent years, BP winners have been more consistently appealing, with the last real dud that I can think of being Crash, but the winners from 40+ years on have far more home runs in their field.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I have a feeling this might be an obvious answer. If so, consider me out of the loop. :P

Which Star Wars movie is more liked by the general public, between Episode VI, and Episode III. Even though III is part of the hated prequel trilogy, it seems to be almost unanimously considered the best of them, whereas Episode VI is typically seen as the worst of the originals. In addition, I've seen things such as reviews call Episode III the best since the first two films.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In general, people tend to like ANY part of the original trilogy better than ANY part of the prequel trilogy, so even the worst movie from the original trilogy is seen to be complete gold by most people when compared to even the best movie from the prequels, which incidentally isn't saying much (though its a guilty pleasure of mine for the very few things that it does get right).

talonmalon333

Then I suppose it's nowhere near an unpopular opinion to say I like Episode VI more. :P

Though I guess I could instead say, as an unpopular opinion, that I think Episode VI was an awesome movie, even despite the parts that drag. It has some of my favorite moments in any film (namely the scenes involving Luke with the Emperor and Darth Vader).

The Shadow Gentleman

Yeah, I always considered VI a pretty solid movie despite it's hiccups.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 21, 2013, 06:32:32 PM
Tarantino on the whole just doesn't do much for me.
^Also This

LumRanmaYasha

I don't like any of the Star Wars movies. NONE of them.

Indiana Jones  and the Temple of Doom was a bad movie.

Avatar was boring and predictable, and only was popular because of it's incredible and ground-breaking special effects.

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 13, 2013, 07:57:11 PM
I actually don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

Avaitor

Some would say it's weaker than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Granted, I've still only seen Raiders, so I don't really have an opinion.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Avatar was boring and predictable, and only was popular because of it's incredible and ground-breaking special effects.

I'm going to add onto that and say another unpopular opinion about Avatar: For how much they were hyped up, the special effects weren't even THAT great. I mean, yeah, they look like the best CG out yet....but that's just it, everything still looks like CG. None of it eve came off as even remotely real to me. I could tell what was CG and what wasn't.

Also, the entire film is essentially a high-budget remake of Dances with Wolves, but it has less than half the charm of that movie.

Avaitor

I mentioned this before elsewhere, but I saw a clip of Avatar on my TV a little while ago, and it just doesn't look that impressive anymore. Actually, some of the CG looks pretty shitty.

The movie isn't even half a decade old, and its age is already present. And I don't think that many people liked it for the story to begin with.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, I think that many of James Cameron's older movies look better than Avatar, and by that, I mean more visually pleasing. Its funny, because the world of Avatar is made to look all shiny, glossy, and beautiful, but in the process it also looks way too sterile and so obviously artificial. Compare that to something like Aliens or The Terminator 2: Judgement Day, and those movies perfectly combine CG with practical effects to make far more convincing looking environments (for the most part).

Commode

Raiders of the Lost Ark was the only good Indy movie.  I don't think Kingdom is as terrible as most people say it is, but it's still not that good, and I personally don't care for Temple or Last Crusade.

The Avatar arguments that still persist today are funny, because I only made it like thirty minutes into the 3D showing I went to in January 2010 before I decided how god-damned boring the movie was, and how I was never likely to watch it or take it seriously ever again.  But then again, I did the same thing with Lord of the Rings back in 2002; so far I've never seen the other two movies and don't plan to.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Micki!

It's kind of overshadowed by all the other star wars related movies and shows out there, but I personally find Ewoks to be the greatest thing to come out of anything Star Wars related, great show, very high production value and extremely well written..!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5cuUyOzDwk
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 13, 2013, 08:07:06 PM

I'm going to add onto that and say another unpopular opinion about Avatar: For how much they were hyped up, the special effects weren't even THAT great. I mean, yeah, they look like the best CG out yet....but that's just it, everything still looks like CG. None of it eve came off as even remotely real to me. I could tell what was CG and what wasn't.

Also, the entire film is essentially a high-budget remake of Dances with Wolves, but it has less than half the charm of that movie.
But it gets a pass because it "looks pretty". I wonder what we'll say about this another 5 years from now.

Quote from: Foggle on May 13, 2013, 08:01:02 PM
I actually don't think that's an unpopular opinion.
Temple Of Doom is an awesome B-movie. I never got the hate. Never will.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton