Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

No wonder it's getting localized, since I thought for sure it wouldn't be. Gotta' make that investment back somehow.

But dang, those are like Shadows of the Damned-level numbers. And we can't even blame it on Japan's current favoring of portables over home consoles, since the Wii U version was actually more successful. That has to be the biggest bomb I've seen in years, shovelware notwithstanding. :(

Foggle

Between this, Yaiba, and Kamiya's comments, I think it's safe to say that Keiji Inafune is the new Warren Spector.

gunswordfist

I saw the beta (whatever) but I still wanted to believe  :cry:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

I still wonder how much funding they lost after the whole Dina debacle, seeing the product from beta tester, and all that other jazz. It's Broken Age all over again.

gunswordfist

Daxdiv

Foggle

I mean, I'm sure Mighty No. 9 is still a decent/good game, but this should really be a lesson to developers and players everywhere about the dangers of target footage.

gunswordfist

as long as I can still be naively optimistic about kickstarters. :awesome:

Spark Of Spirit

Yep, it could look better. I do wish Inafune would stop futzing around and just let Inticreates make an action platformer already. They know what they're doing, so just let them work.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I hope this doesn't give them a bad name. They are probably still the greatest 2D action team.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 10, 2015, 08:58:15 PM
as long as I can still be naively optimistic about kickstarters. :awesome:
Well, I backed DreadOut, and that's a pretty good game. I also backed Torment: Tides of Numenera and my free copy of Wasteland 2 (another KS game from the same studio) is lovely. Pillars of Eternity is apparently quite good, too.

Crowdfunding doesn't always work out, but there are enough success stories that I think your naive optimism is still viable. ;)

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 10, 2015, 09:21:08 PM
I hope this doesn't give them a bad name. They are probably still the greatest 2D action team.
It's probably still fun and well-designed in terms of gameplay and such, so I doubt they'll become widely hated or anything. But it might make people less likely to believe in their concepts in the future.

Daxdiv

I did back Shovel Knight. Money well spent for a $60 investment, got a real box art and soundtrack of the game, along with a digital download.

gunswordfist

..I actually never heard of any of those 3 games. I barely follow game news now..I basically just hear about games here on AR. lol I'll gladly keep my naivety.  :)

Quote from: Foggle on April 10, 2015, 09:23:22 PM
It's probably still fun and well-designed in terms of gameplay and such, so I doubt they'll become widely hated or anything. But it might make people less likely to believe in their concepts in the future.
Makes sense.

I didn't know/forgot Shovel Knight was a Kickstarter. Now all those comparisons it had to MN9 make sense...

Spark Of Spirit

Shovel Knight was so, so good. Yacht Club didn't make a faux-bit platformer; they actually made an NES platformer that would sit comfortably with some of the best on the system. Other than usage of certain colors and the possibility of added slowdown, I'm pretty sure Shovel Knight could have been put on an NES cartridge.

Sort of like Mega Man 9, actually.

Like Inticreates, Yacht Club really do understand what makes those old games tick.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I really need to play Shovel Knight. I hope Yacht Club keeps the good work up.