Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

To be fair, I tend to overly praise pretty much anything I like or think looks good these days. :il_hahaha:

The Avengers is pretty good for what it is, definitely. I think I just fucked up by not watching the solo films first. I'm sure I'll like it more the second time around.

gunswordfist

Foggle got me interested in the latter! I still haven't even tried to start the former...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Sometimes I succeed at things!

gunswordfist

I want to rewatch the Avengers. I gave it shit for not being that deep (shut up) but once I think about it, they pulled off the impossible and gave every Avenger a good amount of screen time.

Quote from: Foggle on April 21, 2015, 08:45:22 PM
Sometimes I succeed at things!

Dr. Insomniac

I'd say one of my main issues with the first Avengers was with Loki. I liked him more in Thor because there seemed to be a point to his evil, while his motives just don't have as much weight when trying to conquer Earth.

gunswordfist

I was just thinking about how Loki could have been done better when I was writing about how much screen time they gave the Avengers. He seemed to be kind of just..there. Almost could have been replace by any conqueror Marvel villain.

Spark Of Spirit

I take a lot of critical opinions with a grain of salt until I know where they're coming from. I remember one review slagging Winter Soldier because they said it was forgettable in that you would leave the theater and not remember anything about it. Man, I was thinking of the ending of that movie for weeks afterwards. Not to mention the ones that were like "He's the hero so of course he will never die so there's no tension!" which could be applied to virtually any action, adventure, or drama movie ever.

If they're complaining about things like the script, the acting, the plot, the general execution, or the special effects, then I'll pay more attention.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

So with the new Avengers moving on its way into theaters, one of my friends who has missed a few of the recent movies wants to catch up, so we will be doing that this week. Tonight we rewatched (or in his case, watched for the first time) Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I think Chris Evans is quite likable in the role. Also, they did a really good job of aging Peggy for her scene in this movie. Another thing I think is good is that Black Widow has a good role here. I feel like they hadn't given her much of a presence in these movies until this one. They hinted at a romance between her and Cap and I wouldn't be totally against them going that route if they can do it. Sometime later this week, we will be rewatching the only other film he missed, Thor 2. I remember not really liking this one, but I'll watch it again since my friends will be watching it, so, why not?

I feel like the first Avengers movie is an incredibly pander-ish movie, but it hardly matters because it's just really fun. I'll admit that I'm kind of burned out on superhero films at this point, but even so I do enjoy seeing most of them in theaters, as they are just entertaining movies to go see late at night with a group of buddies. So, with that, I do hope The Avengers: Age of Ultron is a keeper.

Dr. Insomniac

Eitherway, it's probably best not to let negative reviews bemoaning a lack of depth cloud hopes for a movie, since some reviewers go out of their way to find faults that not even the most astute viewer could see. Case in point.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can understand how some people are burned out on superhero films, but personally I'm still incredibly enthralled by the genre. Marvel has been killing it lately, so it's arguably the best time to be a fan of this genre.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Another reason to take RT scores with a grain of salt: http://m.3aw.com.au/news/review-jim-schembri-reviews-the-avengers-age-of-ultron-20150422-1mqzk9.html

According to RT, this writer qualifies as a professional critic and is thus factored into the overall cumulative critic consensus. But if you read the review, it boils down to nothing more than: "Guh, This movie is stupid! Superhero movies are stupid! It's loud and has too many special effects and too much action, so it's stupid!"

Clearly there will be a few haters of the genre trying to bad-mouth the movie, so it's best to rely on your own instincts.

Foggle

I love when people who despise a certain film genre are paid to review a movie in said genre.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, there have been some critics trying to create a backlash by not judging these movies for what they are but just by the fact that they exist. Fortunately most people are not interested in such reviews that trash a genre movie for being a genre movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I'm going to play the best strategy video game in the world today and then trash it for being a strategy game.

gunswordfist

I didn't know it was already out? *avoids thread*