Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

UK, why do you keep getting good shit regarding Sonic figurines?

Spark Of Spirit

Sonic 2 HD keylogger is now gone

So if you can, it's now safe to give it a try.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I have a question about SA (and by extension, SA2, but I'm not sure if that was re-released lately).

How does the XLA/PSN version compare to the original?

Spark Of Spirit

The Dreamcast version is still the best one. But the XBLA version of SA:DX at least runs at 60fps, however the PSN version is awful.

If I had to rank them, it would be like this:

Dreamcast
XBLA (other than having to pay for the DX content... but that's worthless anyway)
Gamecube
PC
PSN
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

As a whole though, SA and SA2 are the types of games that I kind of feel are best left in memory, not replayed.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, pretty much. They're early 3D games. Unless you can do battle with how different things were back then, you aren't going to enjoy them as much.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 09:42:37 PM
Yeah, pretty much. They're early 3D games. Unless you can do battle with how different things were back then, you aren't going to enjoy them as much.

I think it has less to do with them being early 3D games, and more with me fearing they just haven't aged remotely well at all. I mean, Super Mario 64 is still good to play, and that was from 1996.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 09:47:30 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 09:42:37 PM

I think it has less to do with them being early 3D games, and more with me fearing they just haven't aged remotely well at all. I mean, Super Mario 64 is still good to play, and that was from 1996.
I only really detest the shooting and most hunting segments in SA2, and the fishing in SA1.

So I do still enjoy playing SA1, glitches and roughness aside I still think it's an unpolished gem.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 09:27:37 PM
Dreamcast
XBLA (other than having to pay for the DX content... but that's worthless anyway)
Gamecube
PC
PSN
Just as an addendum, the Steam release is about on par with the XBLA version (in fact, it probably edges that one out because you don't have to pay extra for its DX content). Spark's talking about the original PC version here.

talonmalon333

How would you guys compare Sonic's recent 3D games to the Genesis classics?

Foggle

If I had to rank them:

Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Colors
Sonic 2
Sonic Generations
Sonic CD
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic 1
Everything else

talonmalon333

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 11:14:56 PM
If I had to rank them:

Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Colors
Sonic 2
Sonic Generations
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic 1
Everything else

Just curious, how come Colors is better than Generations?

Also, poor Sonic 1. :shit:

Foggle

Added Sonic CD to the list, btw.

Generations is better graphically and mechanically, but I prefer Colors because it's more of a "complete" game. Generations is great overall, but there aren't enough actual levels, and most of the challenges are lame.

Sonic 1 is still good... it's at the bottom of my list of good Sonic games. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My rankings based on the Sonic games that I have played:

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles (if I had to pick between them, then Sonic and Knuckles gets a slight edge over Sonic 3, IMO)
2. Sonic 2
3. Sonic Generations
4. Sonic Adventure
5. Sonic 1
6. Sonic Adventure 2 (I'm actually ranking it last mainly because I haven't replayed any of it in ages, whereas I've at least replayed a fair amount of SA1 here and there and still like Sonic's levels quite a bit)

talonmalon333

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but I really struggle with lists anymore. Often times I find myself just doing tier lists now.

Tier 1 - Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Tier 2 - Sonic 1, Sonic CD
Tier 3 - Sonic 4, Colors

I left out the Adventure games cause I haven't played them in so long.

Also, one thing I do know is that S3&K would be #1 if I really ranked them.