Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Yeah, but fans over-hyped the fuck out of GL before it aired, and after the first 7 episodes of absolute wackiness (which I did eventually groove into), the change in tone and how it seemed like it was now expecting the viewer to take it seriously (while still trying to retain the silliness and nonsense-physics logic) just never sat well with me.

But I'll give GL this: it has provided some pretty awesome Yoko cosplayers at cons.  :swoon:

There's nothing wrong with liking it. I've seen more people love it than hate it, so I'll never even try to fight that just because it never gelled with me. Just one of those weird ones where I wound up in the minority, it seems.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 16, 2012, 02:03:10 AM
Not only is it badly-written, but it also feels morally reprehensible in a way. The way the show lets Lelouch off of committing mass murder and government manipulation, even making him some kind of hero in the end, is just disgusting.

That makes me appreciate the manga's ending for Death Note even more. I love how the author of that series showed absolutely no sympathy for Light. Its funny because while I don't like Light, I can't help but appreciate him whenever I see people comparing him to Lelouch. At least Light was legitimately smart and managed to stay on top of everyone else for as long as he did because he outwitted them. Maybe its just me, but I couldn't help but feel that the writers of Code Geass just had everything play conveniently into Lelouch's hands to make him look smart....rather than, you know....actually making him a smart character. Also he deserved no sympathy in his death scene, yet they made it look like the guy was a saint. I fucking hate it when writers think that they have come up with a great, tragic anti-hero, but just end up spewing out another unlikable prick.

Rynnec

The difference between Light and Lelouch is that the latter had more legitimate reasons to do what he did, but was ultimately ruined by amateur writing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, putting the ridiculous hype aside, I don't really hate Gurren Lagaan after all. Its just not my kind of series. I do however hate the ridiculous hype it got and how much people still rave about how great it is to this day. As a series on its own, it just doesn't appeal to me, but I can respect the opinions of people who like it. Its really just not my cup of tea, though.

Dr. Insomniac

Legitimate reasons? Your father planning Instrumentality, only to have his wife gravely injured by his brother, so has to make it look like his daughter got horribly crippled for some reason, then sends his two kids to a country about to be completely razed by war and turned into a third-world country is legitimate?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on September 16, 2012, 02:16:06 AM
The difference between Light and Lelouch is that the latter had more legitimate reasons to do what he did, but was ultimately ruined by amateur writing.

That's somewhat true, but Light was always painted as an egotistical jerk with a god complex (who just happened to be smart enough to stay alive for quite a while), and the author did a good job of staying consistent with that character role for him. They never pretended like he was anything more than that, so it never really became an issue.

As for Lelouch, I suppose you could say he has a better reason for serving the type of role that his character took on (I don't really feel that he does, but I'll say that he at least has more of a reason than Light ever did). But, either way, as you said, the writers did a really poor job of handling his character, and instead of coming off as a noble anti-hero or a tragic hero (or however you want to describe his archetypal role), he just came off as an ass-hole with too much power at his disposal (at least to me). By all means, he should have been a better character than Light....but somehow the writers just made him seem worse, IMO.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 16, 2012, 02:18:44 AM
Legitimate reasons? Your father planning Instrumentality, only to have his wife gravely injured by his brother, so has to make it look like his daughter got horribly crippled for some reason, then sends his two kids to a country about to be completely razed by war and turned into a third-world country is legitimate?

Wha? ???

Nel_Annette

It could happen to yooouuuuuu...  :zonk:

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Rynnec on September 16, 2012, 02:22:43 AM

Wha? ???
Hey, I didn't make any of that up.

Rynnec

Damn, I forgot just how little of Charles' backstory makes sense at all. At least with the whole Zero Requiem thing kinda sorta had some semblance of what could be called logic in it. The whole instrumentality thing was just weird. Adn then there was the whole thing with Lelouch's mom being evil all of a sudden...WTF?

Nel_Annette

Well, I'm willing to give them a little bit of leeway given how fucked over they were while writing that season, but I don't think making it the way they intended would have helped that much.

Rynnec

Oh well. Super Robot Wars Z2 probably fixed all of the problems with Geass story anyway. .3.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Nel on September 16, 2012, 02:30:55 AM
Well, I'm willing to give them a little bit of leeway given how fucked over they were while writing that season, but I don't think making it the way they intended would have helped that much.
Well, Rolo wouldn't have existed. Other than that, it probably would've been the same thing.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 16, 2012, 02:40:58 AM
Quote from: Nel on September 16, 2012, 02:30:55 AM
Well, Rolo wouldn't have existed. Other than that, it probably would've been the same thing.

Oh? I never knew that. I would have liked that, actually! I can't stand Rolo.

What I was always told is that a lot of things that felt rushed or out of nowhere were going to be much more explained and that there was originally going to be more build-up to the betrayal or Charles and Marianne's plot and so on. And that those Knight dudes would have been fleshed out way more.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 16, 2012, 01:18:33 AM
I've recently been re-watching 2 particular anime series in bits and pieces, but I honestly have to say;

I think that Trigun is a better show than Cowboy Bebop. Don't get me wrong, Cowboy Bebop is still one of my favorite anime ever and is easily one of the most influential, but....I'd be lying if I said that I loved every single second of it. Some episodes can be boring and sometimes the series can get too wrapped up in being stylistic that it loses me for quite a few moments before it does anything to catch my interest again. That's just how I feel. Trigun has a good story, compelling characters, and is constantly entertaining. Its not as influential or as "expertly crafted" as Cowboy Bebop (as some would say), and it has far inferior animation, but its just a lot more interesting and entertaining for me to watch.
Exactly how I feel. I also like Outlaw Star more than CB. I remember you saying you like OS more than both of them.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody