Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 24, 2013, 10:32:37 PM
Have you ever watched Frontier, Ensatsu-ken?

No, and I don't think that I'll ever plan to. Same for Digimon Savers.

I do plan on finishing at least the first season of Xros Wars, though, eventually.

QuoteI'm going to add my own opinion that Mugen is a terrible one note character with absolutely no depth.

It's like they wanted to out-cool Spike Spiegal but completely missed his endearing traits and added nothing to make up for it.

My main problem with Mugen is that he's just flat-out unlikable. Spike could occasionally come off as an ass, though that was intentional whenever it happened, and for the most part his character was likable because he had a more sympathetic and down to earth side of him. It felt like with Mugen they just tried to capitalize on the "coolness" factor of Spike without keeping in any of the substance that made Spike interesting.

Rynnec

I've only seen the first four episodes of Samurai Champloo, but I  always thought that Mugen wasn't meant to be likable outside of battle?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on January 24, 2013, 10:48:10 PM
I've only seen the first four episodes of Samurai Champloo, but I  always thought that Mugen wasn't meant to be likable outside of battle?
IMO, he's not likeable at all at any moment in the show. The guy could be replaced by a sadistic talking sword and the show would be no different in the end.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 24, 2013, 10:40:46 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 24, 2013, 10:32:37 PM
Have you ever watched Frontier, Ensatsu-ken?

No, and I don't think that I'll ever plan to. Same for Digimon Savers.

I do plan on finishing at least the first season of Xros Wars, though, eventually.
I know gsf loves it, but you're not missing much by skipping Frontier.

QuoteI'm going to add my own opinion that Mugen is a terrible one note character with absolutely no depth.

It's like they wanted to out-cool Spike Spiegal but completely missed his endearing traits and added nothing to make up for it.

My main problem with Mugen is that he's just flat-out unlikable. Spike could occasionally come off as an ass, though that was intentional whenever it happened, and for the most part his character was likable because he had a more sympathetic and down to earth side of him. It felt like with Mugen they just tried to capitalize on the "coolness" factor of Spike without keeping in any of the substance that made Spike interesting.
That's basically my number 1 issue with Champloo is that it is too reliant on flash. Cowboy Bebop had a lot of character development, but SC did nothing for characters like Mugen and expected us to care for him.

Why should I like Mugen? He's a completely unlikeable jerk and frequently does the wrong thing for shallow reasons. Or no reason.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

Fair points for Samurai Champloo.

Quote from: SparkThat's basically my number 1 issue with Champloo is that it is too reliant on flash. Cowboy Bebop had a lot of character development, but SC did nothing for characters like Mugen and expected us to care for him.
That's probably the #1 reason I like Samurai Champloo so much. Well, to be more precise, 1st thing I look for is action, next is samurai, but then again, I am very bias when it comes to samurai stuff. As for Mugen, I like him, and think he's funny, but then again I think that depends on what you consider funny. He just so happens to be one of the characters I actually find funny considering there aren't many anime/characters out there that I'd laugh at. But when it comes to the comparison between CB and SC, don't get me wrong, I like character development as well, probably not as much as other people (it's the 3rd thing I look for), but the flashy stuff takes precedence over everything else.

Dr. Insomniac

To be honest, I don't really have a high opinion on the oleo-resin species. After all, the Jatoba tree casts much of a blight upon the environment. I don't care about how it's techinically an ecosystem all on its own just because of housing a swarm of insects. My inner ecologist pays no care towards anime at all.

Spark Of Spirit

I do remember his origin episode which made little to no sense in explaining why he was the way he was. It was just, "yeah then he suddenly became a jerk, thanks for stopping by!"

But rule 1, if I don't like the main character I'm not likely to enjoy the show.

But hey, obviously the show wasn't for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 25, 2013, 02:36:45 PM
I do remember his origin episode which made little to no sense in explaining why he was the way he was. It was just, "yeah then he suddenly became a jerk, thanks for stopping by!"

But rule 1, if I don't like the main character I'm not likely to enjoy the show.

It made perfect sense. Mugen became colder over the years and it showed when he remet the girl.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 25, 2013, 06:17:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 25, 2013, 02:36:45 PM

It made perfect sense. Mugen became colder over the years and it showed when he remet the girl.
But why did he grow colder. I don't recall there being any events mentioned or talked about. Just that he was different.

But again, if that's good enough for you than it's probably because I'm expecting something else from the show than what it was giving me.

Dr. Insomniac

Well, here's the hard opinion...

...I do not dislike Panty & Stocking after tonight.

Foggle

Rynnec

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on January 28, 2013, 03:03:29 AM
What sorcery is this?  :SHOCK:
All will be explained soon... let's say Tuesday or Wednesday.

Spark Of Spirit

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec