Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 28, 2013, 02:40:23 PM
I've lost them.  :'(
I'm pretty sure Insommy and Dalek don't actually like PSG, they just find it tolerable.

I think it's great, though... when it's dubbed and doesn't involve poop, anyway.

Quote from: Avaitor on January 28, 2013, 02:42:08 PM
Next Foggle will become a TTGL fan.
Naw, that one I've actually seen most of and still don't like.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, here's an unpopular opinion I now have after having re-watched the movie Akira again:

The movie is good. Not great. Not amazing. Not bad by any stretch, either. Just good. Its a solid movie, but I no longer quite see it as the masterpiece that many others do, nor can I ever identify with the few but outspoken haters of the movie. I do really like it, but just not as much as I used to, and apparently not as much as most other people.

That said, I'm still really interested in reading the manga, which I hear is much better when it comes to developing and elaborating on the depth of the characters. That was probably what held the movie back for me when I watched it a 2nd time. I just felt that other than Tetsuo, no other character really got that much focus to the point of really being all that interesting. I mean, other than him, Kaneda was certainly a likable character, but we never even really learned that much about him in the movie, or at least I didn't.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 28, 2013, 04:46:45 PM
So, here's an unpopular opinion I now have after having re-watched the movie Akira again:

The movie is good. Not great. Not amazing. Not bad by any stretch, either. Just good. Its a solid movie, but I no longer quite see it as the masterpiece that many others do, nor can I ever identify with the few but outspoken haters of the movie. I do really like it, but just not as much as I used to, and apparently not as much as most other people.

That said, I'm still really interested in reading the manga, which I hear is much better when it comes to developing and elaborating on the depth of the characters. That was probably what held the movie back for me when I watched it a 2nd time. I just felt that other than Tetsuo, no other character really got that much focus to the point of really being all that interesting. I mean, other than him, Kaneda was certainly a likable character, but we never even really learned that much about him in the movie, or at least I didn't.
The movie is more amazing for what it accomplished in animation, direction, and atmosphere (the music is pretty great too) at the time than the actual rushed plot. When I saw the original dub I kept waiting for Kaneda to yell "Shredder!" over and over.

That said, it's a decent sci-fi tale. The manga's plot is more fleshed out from what I read.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I just can't get into P&S. It feels like APC on a 24/7 basis to me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on January 28, 2013, 05:10:10 PM
I just can't get into P&S. It feels like APC on a 24/7 basis to me.
It's really nothing like APC aside from the first short. Seriously, it's not that gross most of the time, and it's usually pretty funny.

Lord Dalek

Foggle

We have all agreed that episode 6 was amazing. Seriously guys, at least watch that one before you judge. And make sure it's dubbed.

Rynnec

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on January 29, 2013, 10:04:18 PM
Is that the Transformers parody?
It's the first one with Scanty and Kneesocks.

Lord Dalek

Panty and Stocking had our curiosity... now it has our attention.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Foggle on January 29, 2013, 10:01:17 PM
We have all agreed that episode 6 was amazing. Seriously guys, at least watch that one before you judge. And make sure it's dubbed.

But

no rolling R's.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on January 29, 2013, 10:32:30 PM

But

no rolling R's.
Weaboo, please.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 29, 2013, 10:42:35 PM
Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on January 29, 2013, 10:32:30 PM

But

no rolling R's.
Weaboo, please.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

I love the Soul Society arc of Bleach. One of my favorite arcs in anime and manga. The rest of the series is filty, shit-covered, garbage, though.