Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 02, 2013, 11:16:14 PM
I love the Soul Society arc of Bleach. One of my favorite arcs in anime and manga. The rest of the series is filty, shit-covered, garbage, though.
The only thing unpopular about that opinion is that you like any part of Bleach.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, this opinion is really out there, but Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star comes off as a sadist to me. I should clarify that I'm sure this was completely unintentional in regard to how the character was written, but just think about it for a second. Not only does the guy mercilessly kill any thugs or villains who stand in his way (and sometimes they don't even do anything to him directly), but have any of you guys ever stopped to think about how elaborate and over-the-top some of his kills are? He hits pressure points that can seemingly allow him to control his victims (and yes, I specifically use the term "victims" here) to perform any absurd action(s) of his choosing. At one point, he literally has 2 guys HUG EACH OTHER TO DEATH! Well, OK, its more like he has them lethally squeeze the life out of each other, but it ends up looking like they are hugging, which is just an absurd scene to watch. In another case he has a guy strangle himself to death with his own nun-chaku. But really, I'm dead serious when I say that the guy's kills are so insanely over-the-top sometimes that he really has to be toying with his enemies out of sheer boredom. I mean, we've seen him kill guys normally before by just hitting their pressure points and having their heads explode, so why doesn't he just use that all the time? It seems the most practical and efficient, as its basically the quickest his kills ever come (at about 7 seconds, if I'm not mistaken), and in the end all that really matters is if the guy is dead or not. Yet, he constantly goes out of his way to kill so many of the bad guys in such a nonsensical fashion for no other reason than what I can assume is to express his own personal sense of creativity....with human lives. Yeah, I think my point stands pretty solidly.

Dr. Insomniac

Railgun is actually a deranged fanfic where Magneto and Nightcrawler are teenage girls in a one-sided romance.

Rynnec

I haven't seen FotNS outside of clips, but from what I've seen, most of Kenshiro's victims kinda deserve it. :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on February 10, 2013, 11:39:05 PM
I haven't seen FotNS outside of clips, but from what I've seen, most of Kenshiro's victims kinda deserve it. :sweat:

I'm not questioning whether they deserve to die or not. I'm questioning what the fuck is going through Kenshiro's mind when he comes up with some of those wacky ways to off his victims. It still makes no sense as to why he'd have a guy strangle himself or what not as opposed to just straight-up killing him without any needless gimmicks. :thinkin:

Dr. Insomniac

Kenshiro just likes to test his brand-new kung-fu skills on people.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 11, 2013, 12:03:25 AM

And personally I find that he does so to downright sadistic degrees, sometimes.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 11, 2013, 12:08:28 AM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 11, 2013, 12:03:25 AM

And personally I find that he does so to downright sadistic degrees, sometimes.
He's a man who has seen the most sadistic atrocities committed by human hands. A war crime comes off as sport with that kind of desensitizing.

The Shadow Gentleman

The Code Geass soundtrack is better than Bebop's soundtrack, but only just barely.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Graywulf on March 05, 2013, 06:32:24 PM
Code Geass is better than Bebop but only just barely.
This is why I've been learning to stop skimming.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 10, 2013, 11:05:00 PM
So, this opinion is really out there, but Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star comes off as a sadist to me. I should clarify that I'm sure this was completely unintentional in regard to how the character was written, but just think about it for a second. Not only does the guy mercilessly kill any thugs or villains who stand in his way (and sometimes they don't even do anything to him directly), but have any of you guys ever stopped to think about how elaborate and over-the-top some of his kills are? He hits pressure points that can seemingly allow him to control his victims (and yes, I specifically use the term "victims" here) to perform any absurd action(s) of his choosing. At one point, he literally has 2 guys HUG EACH OTHER TO DEATH! Well, OK, its more like he has them lethally squeeze the life out of each other, but it ends up looking like they are hugging, which is just an absurd scene to watch. In another case he has a guy strangle himself to death with his own nun-chaku. But really, I'm dead serious when I say that the guy's kills are so insanely over-the-top sometimes that he really has to be toying with his enemies out of sheer boredom. I mean, we've seen him kill guys normally before by just hitting their pressure points and having their heads explode, so why doesn't he just use that all the time? It seems the most practical and efficient, as its basically the quickest his kills ever come (at about 7 seconds, if I'm not mistaken), and in the end all that really matters is if the guy is dead or not. Yet, he constantly goes out of his way to kill so many of the bad guys in such a nonsensical fashion for no other reason than what I can assume is to express his own personal sense of creativity....with human lives. Yeah, I think my point stands pretty solidly.
lmao. I love this show. The whole point of elaborate kills like those is that they are supposed to be ironic.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I always thought of Kenshiro being the embodiment of karma in the FOTNS universe. "You are already dead" sort of takes on a new meaning when you think of it that way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just to be clear if anyone didn't get it, I was deliberately being sarcastic when I called Kenshiro a sadist. Obviously I know that this isn't the case. I just wanted to point out how absurd the kills in FOTNS are in a humorous way.

At any rate, I do love that particular element of the series, but I have to admit that I still never even finished the first arc due to the repetition of the show. I have heard that the series does get much better as it goes along, and I'll make sure to watch more of it someday, but I suppose I'd be better off sticking with the manga to get straight to the good stuff, as Toei's filler material can range from being pretty decent (Dragon Ball) to being an absurd waist of time (One Piece), and I don't want to take that chance with a series like FOTNS.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2013, 09:38:15 PM
Toei's filler material can range from being pretty decent (Dragon Ball) to being an absurd waist of time (One Piece)

I actually really enjoy a lot of the filler in One Piece in the earlier episodes (by that I mean up until Enies Lobby  :sly:). I think the extra Davy Back Fight events in the anime made for really good episodes and upped the tension in the arc, and were pretty humorously written. Ocean Dream, which follows it, was really fun too, and I feel it was a nice set up to The Water 7/Enies Lobby arc. There are a lot of weak filler episodes too, but none of it was really off putting to me until Marineford, where it killed the tension a lot of the time. Toei's super long ass recaps, which take up a fourth of the episode nowadays, kinda pisses me off too, and made Fishman Island, which was already a rather lame arc, a freaking ordeal to get through, and I gave up after five episodes of it. The latest few episodes, adapting Punk Hazard, gives me hope they are getting better with their use of filler (although they seriously need to get rid of those damn recaps. I hate them so much, you don't even want to know....).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 15, 2013, 11:13:21 PM
I actually really enjoy a lot of the filler in One Piece in the earlier episodes (by that I mean up until Enies Lobby  :sly:). I think the extra Davy Back Fight events in the anime made for really good episodes and upped the tension in the arc, and were pretty humorously written. Ocean Dream, which follows it, was really fun too, and I feel it was a nice set up to The Water 7/Enies Lobby arc. There are a lot of weak filler episodes too, but none of it was really off putting to me until Marineford, where it killed the tension a lot of the time.

Eh, To each their own, then, but I just could never get into One Piece's fillers. They weren't horrible, but like I said, they felt like a waist of time to me, personally (in that they were boring).

QuoteToei's super long ass recaps, which take up a fourth of the episode nowadays, kinda pisses me off too, and made Fishman Island, which was already a rather lame arc, a freaking ordeal to get through, and I gave up after five episodes of it. The latest few episodes, adapting Punk Hazard, gives me hope they are getting better with their use of filler (although they seriously need to get rid of those damn recaps. I hate them so much, you don't even want to know....).

Oh yes, those fucking recaps always get on my nerves. Sure, you can skip them, but its a fucking cheap-ass way for Toei to slow down the pacing of the series. Nobody really needs that much of a reminder of the really short list of events that were covered in the previous episode from just a week ago. Toei is clearly just dragging things out as much as possible.

And yeah, the Fishman Island arc was pretty damn boring. To be honest, One Piece has steadily been losing my interest because of how formulaic and bland the whole thing is getting. Nothing Oda since Enies Lobby has really topped it. I did relatively enjoy the series up to Marineford (though, I wasn't really a fan of Skypiea), but ever since then the manga has just been a chore for me to read.

To be fair, I do think that One Piece as a whole is still a lot better than what most of the people on this board give it credit for, but even so, it was getting harder and harder for me to defend this series at all the more boring the later arcs got for me, and at this point the current manga has kind of killed my interest in the series. That said, I still attest that the early parts of One Piece are legitimately good shonen material. Its not necessarily great in my book, but I did enjoy it for what it was.