Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

Quote from: Rynnec on March 18, 2013, 03:30:31 AM
Didn't Gutts also get raped in his backstory, but not turn crippilingly insane and revert to a child?

Yup, his father figure rented him out to another mercenary, it's the reason why Gutts doesn't like people touching him.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

Hearing a cartoon fan say they don't like anime is like hearing an avid reader say they don't like novels.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I've pretty much grown far past the point of trying to differentiate anime from animation in general. I mean, yeah, I know you can categorize it as its own thing, but to me that's just downright silly since aside from the fact that anime are merely just animation from Japan (and as we all know, in Japan, ALL animation is referred to as anime), its a completely ridiculous concept to assume that all anime are generally the same thing. Just like any other cartoons, there are all sorts of anime. I mean, you have stuff ranging from Crayon Shin-Chan to Black Jack to Monster. Those are 3 series that are all anime, but with completely distinct styles and have pretty much nothing in common with one another other than the fact that they all originated from Japan.

For this reason, I never really call myself an anime fan, anymore. I'm just a guy who's a fan of good shows, in general, so when it comes to anime, I like what I think is good, and hate what I think is bad, which is basically no different from how I feel about any other form of entertainment, including books, movies, and video games. In that regard, I don't even call myself a fan of animation, anymore. I'm merely just a fan of the particular stuff that I enjoy to a great extent.

The Shadow Gentleman

There have been times I've had to explain to people that I'm more then just an anime fan, I'm a general animation fan.

Apparently liking anime means you don't watch American/Western cartoons.

TheEclecticDude

My unpopular opinion regarding contemporary anime:

There are far too many 'nice wallpaper' anime nowadays . In other words, series that are superficial at best-they may look nice (glossy, digital productions), but there is nothing or lack of substance to them. Granted there are exceptions, but they are weighted too much against the nice wallpaper.

Kyo-Ani is the greatest purveyor of 'nice wallpaper' anime, is what I'm saying.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Agreed. What is Clannad if not a collection of lovely stills that would make a fine set of desktop backgrounds?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2013, 03:15:06 PM
Them or Gonzo.

I agree.
Gonzo's dead. Long dead. We've got Shaft for pretty pictures that symbolize nothing now.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 08, 2013, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2013, 03:15:06 PM
Them or Gonzo.

I agree.
Gonzo's dead. Long dead. We've got Shaft for pretty pictures that symbolize nothing now.
The king is dead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

TheEclecticDude

Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2013, 04:18:35 PM
Agreed. What is Clannad if not a collection of lovely stills that would make a fine set of desktop backgrounds?

Yeah good point. Though I was meaning literal nice wallpaper like on room walls (nice to look, makes you comfortable, etc.) but desktop backgrounds also is applicable.

Nel_Annette

It's something I've noticed as I've kind of fallen out of love with anime. A lot of the stuff is really nice to look at, but if I watch the series I'll find myself completely bored.

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, I'd say that anime's actually been slowly getting out of the slump after a few years of that. Most of the stylistic trends did their worst around 2006, and we're way past that.

Foggle

LumRanmaYasha

Heh. Funimation's original dub of Dragonball Z doesn't hold up at all. I mean, I've got nostalgia for it and everything, but I can't really sit through it anymore, although watching it with Kikuchi's score helps. The Kai dub is way better. Less out of place gay innuendos.  ;)

Foggle

The gay innuendos are the best part of DBZ though.