Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

It makes the anime watchable in a hilariously bad sort of way, true.  ;)

gunswordfist

It's amazing that Kai came up with the line'...sampling on my new power.'

Anyway, among Kai fans, my unpopular opinion would be that Kai doesn't do everything better. Trunks original Funimation voice was better and Falconer's soundtrack curbstomps the two tracks Kai uses. I do think they are wonderful for the pre-Cell episodes but after the art change and how the Cell saga is more serious, Kai's retro or w/e music sounds out of place.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Trunks is still voiced by Eric Vale. ???

The Faulconer music does fit the Cell Saga better though. I kinda wished Funimation re-used the old Faulconer productions music after the whole Yamamoto controversy.

gunswordfist

Yeah, that's right. Kind of forgot that but I think Vale's voice got too gruffy in Kai. He makes Trunks sound like he's around 30.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Am I honestly the only one who notices that all of Falconer's musical scores for DBZ basically consist of the same 4 or 5 seconds of music being looped over and over again repeatedly? I'm definitely no expert on music, but that just always sounded so....irritating to me, personally. To me, Kai's music sounds more like actual well-composed music, even if it is plagiarized. I have to admit that I've never been a fan of Kikuchi's score, myself, so I was pretty disappointed with the change to the old-school music after that whole debacle with Yamamoto came up.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 16, 2013, 08:53:05 AM
Am I honestly the only one who notices that all of Falconer's musical scores for DBZ basically consist of the same 4 or 5 seconds of music being looped over and over again repeatedly? I'm definitely no expert on music, but that just always sounded so....irritating to me, personally. To me, Kai's music sounds more like actual well-composed music, even if it is plagiarized. I have to admit that I've never been a fan of Kikuchi's score, myself, so I was pretty disappointed with the change to the old-school music after that whole debacle with Yamamoto came up.
After watching that clip of the Cell fight a few days ago... no, you're not. Almost all of the Faulconer tracks sound like bad ringtones of Linkin Park songs.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, they don't sound nearly as annoying as any Linkin Park songs, but the ringtone analogy is spot-on, IMO.

gunswordfist

The full versions of Falcouner's DBZ music aren't like that, it's just that DBZ liked to play music almost all the time (I didn't notice that until someone on yt pointed it out) which of course means lots of looping. The show sucked at music buildup but Bruce's music itself is not at fault. Go youtube Heaven Sent Trunks and try to call it a ringtone. I dare you :>

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heaven Sent Trunks is fucking composed of ringing sounds. I love how you try to defend yourself by ironically picking the one soundtrack that sounds the most like a ringtone. Typical GSF.

Also, aside from the fact that FUNimation had no idea how to use the music in the English dub by playing it all the time, that doesn't change the fact that that the music itself still sounded like the same few beats being played over repeatedly.

Don't believe me? Check out ANY Falconer theme for DBZ and really listen to it. Here's some samples just to prove it to you:

Perfect Cell Theme

Vegeta's Theme

Super Saiyan 3 Theme

Just listen to that shit. You may like it, but they are all basically the same sequence of sounds being repeated and extended over a few minutes to make a full track. If that qualifies as good music then making good music must be an easy feat. I mean, fuck all of the hard working musicians who try to add more depth to their scores. It sounds much more appealing to have the same 10 second clip of sound go on and on and then occasionally change it to another clip of sound to make it sound like you are adding some variety into the mix, only to go back to looping the 1st clip of sound about 30 seconds later.

No, but seriously, taking the nostalgia headphones off, I just don't find this music to be any good at all.

gunswordfist

I don't know what kind of ringtones you listen to. :> You went from likng Kai's soundtrack more to prefering DBZ's and now it's Kai again. I can't take your opinion seriously since you can't make up your mind, you little shit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 16, 2013, 04:30:40 PM
I don't know what kind of ringtones you listen to. :> You went from likng Kai's soundtrack more to prefering DBZ's and now it's Kai again. I can't take your opinion seriously since you can't make up your mind, you little shit.

Way to make yourself look like an idiot. I never said any such thing. I always said that I was never much of a fan of DBZ's original soundtrack, nor was I ever a fan of Falconer's soundtrack. I always said that I preferred Kai's music. Go head an try and quote a post where I stated otherwise. Good luck with that.

So, now you're basically just resorting to flat-out lying and making up stuff about things that I never even said to make yourself look like less of an idiot. Even for you that's a new low, GSF. :??:

LumRanmaYasha

I liked Falconer's score as a kid and all, but honestly, it's incredibly grating and sounds repetitive to me nowadays. Plus, it's terribly misused for the most part, and it's played so loud that the dialogue is sometimes drowned by it. I'd much rather listen to Kikuchi's score, and I'd much, much rather listen to the Yamamoto score, plagiarized or not.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 16, 2013, 06:10:16 PM
I liked Falconer's score as a kid and all, but honestly, it's incredibly grating and sounds repetitive to me nowadays. Plus, it's terribly misused for the most part, and it's played so loud that the dialogue is sometimes drowned by it. I'd much rather listen to Kikuchi's score, and I'd much, much rather listen to the Yammato score, plagiarized or not.

Yeah, basically this. Falconer's music is something that I thought was cool as a kid, but when I try to listen to it now, its another one of the things that made me wonder how I could even stand watching FUNimation's original dub of the series back when it aired on Toonami. At some points that dub has a so bad its good sort of quality to it, but more often than not it just comes off as plain bad. Thank god for DBZ Kai, and the fact that FUNimation has improved TREMENDOUSLY since the days of the DBZ dub.

gunswordfist

Yes you did. You either too stupid to remember or full of shit. I wonder which it is. :>

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 16, 2013, 08:47:38 PM
Yes you did. You either too stupid to remember or full of shit. I wonder which it is. :>

Quote it. If I actually did say it, then prove it.

I'll just sit back and wait for you to realize what an idiot you are.