Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Xros Wars was awesome. Second favorite season after Tamers.

The less said about Young Hunters though, the better. :whuh:

Daxdiv

My favorite Pokemon series are as follow

1. Diamond and Pearl (DP)
2. Advance Generations (AG)
3. Original/Kanto/Johto/Orange Island (OG)
4. Black and White (BW)

while I am watching XY right now, I am saving my opinion on it until a year has passed. While I do like the direction XY is going into, it does have some flaws, mostly with Serena doing like nothing but having a childhood crush/wanting the D on Ash. Does feel like a step down from May and Dawn, who had their own fully developed arcs. Iris's... kind of fell flat on her face, so Serena already has a leg up on her is better than that. While Clemont and Bonnie, I love their chemistry together and their gag is a nice twist on Brock's old one, this time it's Bonnie that hits on girls for her brother, while Clemont drags her away. That and Bonnie is probably the cutest character in the series right now. Still waiting for one of my favorite mons of Gen VI, Hawlucha, to join the roster.

LumRanmaYasha

Hawlucha being on Satoshi's team is something I'm looking forward to. But Serena needs to find a damn goal already, not to mention catch some more pokemon. 30+ episodes in, and she still only has Fennekin.   :whuh:

Daxdiv

Yeah, that bugs me as well. I understand that there are only 72 new Pokemon this generation, knock out 6 of them since those are legendary Pokemon (Yes, I am counting Diancie, Hoopa, & Volcanion), which only leaves 66 possible mons to use/capture for the gang, but you're telling me you can't give the girl another Pokemon from another region? Considering that the Kalos dex is the most diverse dex in any main line game, you would think they would let Serena or Clemont catch them and just save Kalos mons for Ash. Though, I can forgive Clemont since those episodes that took place in Lumiose City did show that he does probably have his in-game team waiting at the gym, so catching Pokemon probably isn't a priority for him.

gunswordfist

I never thought I'd hear CX say fuck.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

As a character, Perfect Cell makes a lot more sense than Frieza. Frieza claimed to be this smart general or whatever but he kept on playing around with saiyans, even in his fight with Vegeta's son. A big part of his character was fearing what Saiyans could do but he never took it seriously enough. Cell is a mish mash of a bunch of arrogant, fight loving characters so him not just blowing up Earth from the getgo (the first thing Frieza should have done when he saw the planet) makes sense.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 23, 2014, 08:40:34 PM
As a character, Perfect Cell makes a lot more sense than Frieza. Frieza claimed to be this smart general or whatever but he kept on playing around with saiyans, even in his fight with Vegeta's son. A big part of his character was fearing what Saiyans could do but he never took it seriously enough. Cell is a mish mash of a bunch of arrogant, fight loving characters so him not just blowing up Earth from the getgo (the first thing Frieza should have done when he saw the planet) makes sense.
Interesting take.

I will readily admit that Frieza is not my favorite character (or villain, that would be Vegeta) in DBZ, but while he is a crafty fighter, he readily lets his arrogance take him down a peg. That's not something Vegeta ever did, but Frieza does it constantly in Namek from leaving the Dragon Balls unguarded, to playing around with his victims, to not taking anyone seriously as a threat, he caused his own problems. If he would have acted earlier, he would have won. But, honestly? I'm okay with that. Seeing the villain done in by his own personality flaw is something I like.

Perfect Cell, meanwhile, was arrogant and cocky, but he was restrained and never underestimated anybody. The only reason he lost was because Gohan was better. That's it. At the same time, it sort of makes his defeat boring in retrospect to me, but I can't say I didn't like it.

Nonetheless, it still doesn't make me like his arc better than Frieza's.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I like the whole passing of the guard that was signified when Gohan defeated Cell. I've been saying this for years but it would have been better if Gohan stayed the guardian of the earth and the Buu saga never happened.

Also, I like Frieza as much as Perfect Cell. I think Cell gets dumped on too much and is considered "lol evil Goku" by too many. I thought the cell/Android saga was fun and Cell was a good fit for that because he wasn't just another villain that killed everyone in his way. Of course the first version did but once I think about it, he was the only one that was kill happy. Imperfect just went after the Android and everyone else challenged him, from what I remember.

Rynnec

And even in the case of his first form, it was out of necessity since he was outclassed by the combined strength of the Z Warriors, and needed every bit of energy he absorbed.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 08:48:05 PM
Interesting take.

Perfect Cell, meanwhile, was arrogant and cocky, but he was restrained and never underestimated anybody. The only reason he lost was because Gohan was better. That's it.

I'd say Perfect Cell did underestimate Gohan. He wanted to see his hidden potential out of curiosity, and clearly didn't think that Gohan was going to overpower him once it was unlocked, which is why he was confused and infuriated when the tables were turned on him. His ultimate defeat was also due to carelessness, being distracted by a surprise attack by Vegeta, which allowed Gohan an opportunity to overpower him in their kamehameha wave standoff.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 23, 2014, 09:19:04 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 08:48:05 PM
Interesting take.

Perfect Cell, meanwhile, was arrogant and cocky, but he was restrained and never underestimated anybody. The only reason he lost was because Gohan was better. That's it.

I'd say Perfect Cell did underestimate Gohan. He wanted to see his hidden potential out of curiosity, and clearly didn't think that Gohan was going to overpower him once it was unlocked, which is why he was confused and infuriated when the tables were turned on him. His ultimate defeat was also due to carelessness, being distracted by a surprise attack by Vegeta, which allowed Gohan an opportunity to overpower him in their kamehameha wave standoff.
You're right, he did. But I don't think it was quite the same as how Frieza would underestimate everyone out of blind arrogance but out of a mistake that Cell simply didn't understand what Gohan could do when pushed far enough. It was careless, but I wouldn't readily put it down to insane arrogance. (That was mostly saved for when Goku died teleporting him out and blowing up... which was honestly a pretty lame turn, to be honest)

As a side-note, the "potential" thing was something I'm a bit annoyed they never did with Krillin since he technically killed Vegeta on Namek in order for him to get healed by Dende during the Frieza scuffle. He was clearly a lot more powerful than he ended up being portrayed as.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 09:24:35 PM

As a side-note, the "potential" thing was something I'm a bit annoyed they never did with Krillin since he technically killed Vegeta on Namek in order for him to get healed by Dende during the Frieza scuffle. He was clearly a lot more powerful than he ended up being portrayed as.

Well, Krillin is stated to be the strongest human on Earth and I remember it being stated somewhere that by the end of the series he was around as strong as Freeza. Of course, by that point all the villains were way stronger than Freeza, so he couldn't do much. But as for him almost killing Vegeta on Namek, Vegeta wanted to get close to near death as possible, so he dropped his defenses, and Krillin at that point was easily strong enough to damage Vegeta that much if the latter wasn't going to fight back.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 23, 2014, 09:36:33 PM

Well, Krillin is stated to be the strongest human on Earth and I remember it being stated somewhere that by the end of the series he was around as strong as Freeza. Of course, by that point all the villains were way stronger than Freeza, so he couldn't do much. But as for him almost killing Vegeta on Namek, Vegeta wanted to get close to near death as possible, so he dropped his defenses, and Krillin at that point was easily strong enough to damage Vegeta that much if the latter wasn't going to fight back.
Yeah, he is given respect, but its almost always outside the current storyline, unfortunately. That said, I did like that Toriyama threw him that bone by the series end.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on June 23, 2014, 09:14:14 PM
And even in the case of his first form, it was out of necessity since he was outclassed by the combined strength of the Z Warriors, and needed every bit of energy he absorbed.
That's true. He had to flee due to not even being able to handle Piccolo at the time. I still don't like that creep though. :bleh:
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 09:45:52 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on June 23, 2014, 09:36:33 PM

Yeah, he is given respect, but its almost always outside the current storyline, unfortunately. That said, I did like that Toriyama threw him that bone by the series end.
I liked Krillin's role in the Cell saga. I don't remember him doing much in the Buu saga though. Watching Tien not even be able to hurt Buu with a surprise attack sucked after something like the Imperfect Cell fight, hell I think he helped against Perfect Cell too. The gap in during was insane in that arc.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't seen the anime version of the Buu saga in a while, but if Tien attacked Buu, then it must have been an anime-only scene. I really don't recall that happening in the manga.