Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Well, I thought the manga's version of the Magnostadt arc was better than the anime's, myself, which I think is actually a lot weaker in getting it's themes and point across. I can't say I think were too many significant differences, but in terms of execution, I thought that Ohtaka's artwork and compositions created a more powerful experience for me than the anime's direction and the (mis)use of it's OST.

And yeah, one thing I've always loved about Piccolo is that how he was useful throughout the story, and how great his dynamics with other characters were. My top Dragon Ball characters, personally, are:

1. Piccolo
2. Vegeta
3. Tenshinhan
4. Mr. Satan
5. Majin Buu (the good/fat one)

And of course I love characters like Krillin and Trunks as well. I'll also agree that Ten's character arc was better in the anime and easily one of the best improvements it made to the source material, though I like him just fine in the manga as well.

Quote from: Rynnec on July 02, 2014, 05:44:59 PM
I still stand by what I said about Kubo and Kishimoto being better at writing sub-villains than main villains.  Characters like Grimmjow, Starrk, Nnoitra, Deidara, Hidan, Tobi etc. were always more memorable and entertaining than the likes of Aizen or Obito. The former always had at least some bit of charisma or badassery to them that made them legitimately cool villains, wheras the latter always seemed like they were trying too hard to make them seem powerful, smart, or evil.

As far as Bleach goes, nowadays I think I can only enjoy Starrk and Barragan. But as for Naruto, I don't think there's a single villain in the series that I care for anymore, since ones I did once like (Zabuza, Pain, Orochimaru, Kabuto) eventually got ruined in some way for me as the story as the story progressed. Both Aizen and Obito are terrible mastermind-type characters and I agree that Kubo and Kishimoto tried way too hard with them. They make Zeref look like Johan in comparison.

Spark Of Spirit

As for favorite Dragonball characters:

1. Krillin
2. Vegeta
3. Future Trunks
4. Piccolo
5. Tien
6. Gohan
7. Kid Goku
8. Master Roshi
9. Android 16
10. Frieza

Not particularly the best, but my favorites.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Master Roshi is a really underrated character, honestly. He was an incredibly entertaining and interesting character in the pre-Z parts of Dragon Ball and I was always kind of disappointed that he basically was reduced to just comic relief for the anime after the Saiyan arc. He's still my favorite "old master" character in anime, alongside Genkai.

gunswordfist

Genkai's my favorite. Heck, probably my favorite fictional female character.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

-Majin Buu (manga) >>>>>>>>>>> Cell (any version)

-The Red Ribbon Army arc is the best Dragon Ball arc, by far, and it's my favorite comedy arc in a Shounen Jump Manga by far (and no, I still haven't read BoBo or Dr. Slump, yet, but for now, this is my favorite)

-Despite thinking that everything after the Female Titan arc of AoT is legitimate crap, I actually do enjoy it to some degree....as an unintentional comedy

-Sailor Moon Crystal has worse animation than the already heavily budgeted 90's anime, and the character designs are atrocious, IMO (I don't care if it's closer to the manga or not, it still looks ugly)

-GTO really should have never been allowed to continue after the original manga ended. Every sequel/spin-off that I've read has been an utter disgrace to everything that was great about it (and Bad Boys and Shounan Junai Gumi, as well)

-Not that I have anything against Space Dandy, which is fine, but as per usual, I actually think that Watanabe is better at drama than he is at humor, and right now Terror in Resonance is the better series of his, to me, or at least it's more up my alley, much like Kids on the Slope was

-Kuroko no Basket is fun until a later point in the series, but I never got why it was so highly praised, and quite frankly I think that the people who praise it haven't read or watched any classics ports manga or anime; Slam Dunk, Ashita no Joe, Hajime no Ippo, etc. Take your pick, but I think that those are all better, even if to varying degrees. Like I said, I still like it overall as a series, for the most part, but even at its best, I wouldn't ever call it great, but it's still leagues better than some shounen sports series, like....

-Ace of Diamond is the most boring shounen sports series that I've seen yet, and it features the most boring sport ever invented; why do people like this?

-Baby Steps is very formulaic, and I don't get why people pretend like it's not and that it's something really special in the genre. I had half of an argument with a guy in TZ about this before realizing that I was wasting my time by even acknowledging this series so much. It's a mediocre sports series from what I've seen. There's nothing wrong with that, but apparently it has a huge fan-base that insists that it's one of the best

LumRanmaYasha

- I love Space Dandy's experimental nature, and how every episode tries something new, whether exploring different genres or using a different artistic/animation style. However, I have to admit that while I appreciate that aspect of it sometimes it becomes a bit too abstract, and not very entertaining for me. Still, there's nothing like it out there, and I appreciate it as a true celebration of animation and creativity.

- I'm enjoying Terror in Resonance, but it's not one of my absolute favorite things to come from Watannabe, unlike some other people. I actually do prefer Space Dandy, who's highs have endeared and entertained me more than Terror has so far in it's run.

- Sailor Moon Crystal's animation is even crappier than the originals, especially since the designs lack, well, "personality," which can make even limited drawings in animation passable because enough emotion is getting across through the scene from the characters' poses, behavior, etc, coupled with good direction, storyboarding, and such. Crystal's designs, in contrast, and bland and boring, and everything else is by-the-numbers as well, so watching it is a lot less fun, even if it lacks the annoying filler of the original.

- Though I never was and still am not an Attack on Titan fan, I do think the last 6 or so chapters have been legitimately well-done and entertaining, and I am willing to give Isayama can turn the quality of the series around into something consistently enjoyable again like it was until the Female Titan arc.

- My favorite arc in Dragon Ball is the Namek arc...the manga's version, of course. I also don't have a problem with the manga's version of the battle with Freeza either. It might be the longest fight in the series, but I still find it incredibly engrossing beginning to end.

- I don't hate Kuroko's Basketball, and I was enjoying it a lot until after the rematch with To'oh, but it's far from one of the best sports manga out there, far from one of the best manga currently running in Jump, and the Rakuzan match is fucking terrible and Akaishi is one of the worst antagonists in anything that I've ever seen. So...I think it's a decent series overall, just not quite as good as it's fans claim it to be.

- I have not read Steel Ball run yet, but among the shonen JoJo arcs, I think Stone Ocean is easily the best of them. I say that as a huge fan of the entirety of JoJo's, while knowing that Stardust Crusaders is the most popular internationally, while Battle Tendency has grown more popular lately because of the 2012 anime, and Diamond is Unbreakable is generally the underrated favorite among fans.

- Likewise, I enjoy Vento Aureo quite a bit, just as much as Stardust Crusaders and more than Battle Tendency, honestly. While there are some issues with it, and Giorno is not one of the best JoJo leads, Buccellati's character arc is incredible, the rest of the supporting cast is well-utilized and characterized (besides Fugo, who leaves anyway), and the plot is tighter and more interesting than Stardust Crusader's stand-of-the-week format, even if it doesn't reach the highs that arc had once the group finally arrived in Egypt. Overall, I still think it's a solid arc, and I enjoyed it much more than Vlord and some other JoJo's fans lead me to believe.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 26, 2014, 07:45:56 PM

-The Red Ribbon Army arc is the best Dragon Ball arc, by far, and it's my favorite com did arc in a Shounen Jump Manga by far (and no, I still haven't read BoBo or Dr. Slump, yet, but for now, this is my favorite)

Heh, much like Urusei Yatsura, Dr. Slump's storylines are normally at most only 5-6 chapters (and even those are infrequent), with only one particularly long arc taking place at the end of the series. :P As far as "comedy arcs" go, I would also say that Red Ribbon is my favorite in any Jump manga as well. I love Bobobo, but the arcs are formulaic structure-wise (though this is intentional on Sawaii's part), with the real entertainment not coming from the story but the subversions of typical tropes and the spontaneous, off-kelter humor. Essentially, the "plot" isn't that important and mainly serves as a vehicle for the humor of the series, which is appropriate since it is a parody of battle shonens (specifically 80's battle-shonens), and not one itself. The only arc in Bobobo that I love on a character development/plot level is the Captain Battleship arc, which is one of my favorite arcs in any anime/manga, but Red Ribbon is still much stronger overall.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 26, 2014, 07:45:56 PM

-Ace of Diamond is the most boring shounen sports series that I've seen yet,many it features the most boring sport ever invented

Read a Mitsuru Adachi manga. Specifically, read Cross Game, which I read recently and ended up becoming one of my favorite manga. I've never been much into baseball either, but Adachi was able to make the games tense and exciting, but more importantly, he writes an incredibly well-written character-driven story that takes itself maturely with character interactions and relationships that feel realistic and natural, in a way that is completely atypical of what you'd expect from shonen manga. Even though I don't know muchabout baseball and don't generally care for it, I was completely sucked into the story, and honestly, the sports aspect takes a backseat to the character-driven story, much like in REAL, though also like in REAL, the sport is what brings the characters together and shapes their motivations and lives in a meaningful way. Even if you really don't like baseball, I still think you'd enjoy it a fair bit.

Rynnec

-I don't really care much about Sailor Moon. Like, at all.

-13 episodes in and AoT isn't really the great anime everyone says it is.

-Akame ga Kill is tryhard edgy trash with nothing else to distinguish it from piles of other shounenshit

-The first episode of Terror in Resonance to really wow me or make me particularly interested in the show

Spark Of Spirit

A friend of mine swears by Major when it comes to baseball anime, though he likes sports manga/anime slightly more than I do so I haven't seen it yet.

-I actually liked the old Sailor Moon anime better than the manga. There. I said it. Filler aside, every change was for the better except for the lack of a definite ending. She has a lot more in common with Togashi than just being married to him.

-GTO needs to have a new series, and I don't mean spin-off. It needs a SJG > GTO transition showing one of the old characters in a new transition in life. Enough with milking the popularity of GTO, it's time to move on.

-Space Dandy is not very interesting to me. Yes, Watanabe, okay. So what? That doesn't make it instantly great.

-I like Bakuman better than Death Note and I really like Death Note.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Terror isn't one of my favorites either (KOTS is, though), but my point was that I prefer it to Dandy. With the latter, I've had no immediate desire to re-watch any episodes yet. With Terror, I admittedly re-watch some episodes just to catch every little detail of the plot, which I wouldn't do if it didn't interest me, obviously.

I've heard of Cross Game. It's on a long list of manga that I will eventually get to. I still need to continue with JoJo and eventually read Vinland Saga. In addition to that I still need to play catch-up with quite a few manga, and considering that I haven't read much if anything at all in the past couple of months since I was preparing for my licensure board exams, I should get ample time to marathon a bunch of stuff once it's all over.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 26, 2014, 09:48:52 PM
Huh, since when? I know that you were a Bakuman fan since day one, but I thought you were only casually a DN fan at best.

As for Space Dandy, I'm with CartoonX. The show is worth watching to me based on its experimental nature alone, but based on that, I have to say that I could take or leave about half of the show's run.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on August 26, 2014, 09:57:52 PM
Huh, since when? I know that you were a Bakuman fan since day one, but I thought you were only casually a DN fan at best.
Death Note shifted for me after I re-watched it detached from the hype. It was one of those series I went in expecting a lot more than was being offered, but after watching it for what it is I really like it. Now I'm a fan.

But I still like Bakuman better.  :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like both. Now give me a new manga already, Ohba!

LumRanmaYasha

I like the Sailor Moon manga, but have never been able to get into the anime, and am only watching Crystal because it won't have any shitty filler. But even in the manga, I think it's still a fairly typical, formulaic series, and while enjoyable overall, I do think it's pretty overrated.

And Attack on Titan is quite overrated as well. It might take itself very seriously and have some dark elements, but it doesn't handle them very well and several scenes are so over the top that they come across as unintentionally funny. My feelings towards it are kind of like my feelings towards Korra, in that I don't hate it, don't love it, and am generally just "eh" on the series overall.

Ditto.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 26, 2014, 09:55:50 PM
Terror isn't one of my favorites either (KOTS is, though), but my point was that I prefer it to Dandy. With the latter, I've had no immediate desire to re-watch any episodes yet. With Terror, I admittedly re-watch some episodes just to catch every little detail of the plot, which I wouldn't do if it didn't interest me, obviously.

That's understandable. But likewise, for me, Dandy has had several episodes that I get an urge to rewatch the day after I see them, but I don't feel like rewatching any TiR episodes so far, and don't imagine myself ever re-visiting the series. I enjoy it fine, but Dandy has just endeared itself to me much more, and I suppose that's just a matter of taste, since I've always been a comedy over drama guy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 26, 2014, 09:48:52 PMSpace Dandy is not very interesting to me. Yes, Watanabe, okay. So what? That doesn't make it instantly great.

Take Space Dandy, replace it with Samurai Champloo, and leave the rest of the phrase untouched, and that's me when it comes to Watanabe series.

Also, while we're at it:

1. Kids on the Slope
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Terror in Resonance
4. Space Dandy
5. Samurai Champloo

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, on the note of Dandy and experimental comedies, I still stand by my much earlier opinion: I like Level E better (and that's my least favorite Togashi series, at that).