Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 26, 2014, 10:07:36 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 26, 2014, 09:48:52 PMSpace Dandy is not very interesting to me. Yes, Watanabe, okay. So what? That doesn't make it instantly great.

Take Space Dandy, replace it with Samurai Champloo, and leave the rest of the phrase untouched, and that's me when it comes to Watanabe series.

Also, while we're at it:

1. Kids on the Slope
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Terror in Resonance
4. Space Dandy
5. Samurai Champloo
I agree with both.

Samurai Champloo has to be the most popular anime I've wanted to like but left me cold in every single way except animation and music.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 26, 2014, 10:10:09 PM
Well, on the note of Dandy and experimental comedies, I still stand by my much earlier opinion: I like Level E better (and that's my least favorite Togashi series, at that).

Yeah, I'd agree Level E's definitely more consistent than Dandy is, even if I like Dandy's best episodes more than it's. I'll also say that Prince Baka and Captain Kraft are far more interesting characters than any of the SD cast, who I like quite fine, but don't find particularly "endearing" to me like those two.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Seriously, I could watch an entire show just based on the chemistry between those 2 characters.

I can see it now: Yoshihiro Togashi Presents, "Baka & Kraft"

Avaitor

I should get into Terror, and watch more of KOTS beyond the first 2 episodes.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

It's not an unpopular opinion to dislike Space Dandy or prefer Terror In Resonance to it. TIR is one of the year's most popular shows among western anime fans, while very few outside of Toonami diehards seem to acknowledge SD at all.

That said, Space Dandy is amazing, probably the best anime of the year for me. Calling it an experimental comedy is doing it a disservice IMO, as about a third of the existing episodes are definitely not humor-focused at all. It's always experimental, and it's usually a comedy, but it's definitely not an experimental comedy. Also, Watanabe's involvement in it seems to just be giving his industry friends a chance to do whatever the hell they want, producing the music, and writing a couple of episodes. You can't compare it to his other works, because from what I can tell it isn't really "his work." It's an ensemble piece made by an eclectic group of creators - newcomers and some of the industry's finest alike. That's why it isn't very consistent... because it's an anthology at heart.

I can see why you guys wouldn't like it, but I love Space Dandy even more than I loved Kill la Kill last year. It represents everything I love about animation, music, and science-fiction. Personally, the only episode I disliked was the undies vs. vests one. Every single other installment has tons of re-watch value for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on August 26, 2014, 11:41:11 PMIt's not an unpopular opinion to dislike Space Dandy or prefer Terror In Resonance to it. TIR is one of the year's most popular shows among western anime fans, while very few outside of Toonami diehards seem to acknowledge SD at all.

I wasn't aware that TIR was popular, actually. I don't go on other boards, so I don't know if people talk about it that much.

QuoteThat said, Space Dandy is amazing, probably the best anime of the year for me. Calling it an experimental comedy is doing it a disservice IMO, as about a third of the existing episodes are definitely not humor-focused at all. It's always experimental, and it's usually a comedy, but it's definitely not an experimental comedy. Also, Watanabe's involvement in it seems to just be giving his industry friends a chance to do whatever the hell they want, producing the music, and writing a couple of episodes. You can't compare it to his other works, because from what I can tell it isn't really "his work." It's an ensemble piece made by an eclectic group of creators - newcomers and some of the industry's finest alike. That's why it isn't very consistent... because it's an anthology at heart.

I'm fine with it being an anthology, myself. Level E was also an anthology series, and I really enjoyed it. It's just that even an anthology can still be called out for inconsistent quality with its episodes.

QuoteI can see why you guys wouldn't like it, but I love Space Dandy even more than I loved Kill la Kill last year. It represents everything I love about animation, music, and science-fiction. Personally, the only episode I disliked was the undies vs. vests one. Every single other installment has tons of re-watch value for me.

For the record, Desensitized is the only one who claimed to not like it. I already stated that I do like the show, but just don't love it, and my unpopular opinion (at least as far as this board goes) was that TIR is more up my alley. I still think that SD is fun for the most part, though.

Spark Of Spirit

It's not my least favorite Watanabe show, for what it's worth.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on August 26, 2014, 11:41:11 PM

That said, Space Dandy is amazing, probably the best anime of the year for me. Calling it an experimental comedy is doing it a disservice IMO, as about a third of the existing episodes are definitely not humor-focused at all. It's always experimental, and it's usually a comedy, but it's definitely not an experimental comedy. Also, Watanabe's involvement in it seems to just be giving his industry friends a chance to do whatever the hell they want, producing the music, and writing a couple of episodes. You can't compare it to his other works, because from what I can tell it isn't really "his work." It's an ensemble piece made by an eclectic group of creators - newcomers and some of the industry's finest alike. That's why it isn't very consistent... because it's an anthology at heart.

I can see why you guys wouldn't like it, but I love Space Dandy even more than I loved Kill la Kill last year. It represents everything I love about animation, music, and science-fiction. Personally, the only episode I disliked was the undies vs. vests one. Every single other installment has tons of re-watch value for me.

I really do find the show great for all of those aspects. However, I do think that the episodes that I tend to enjoy most from it do mainly happen to be the comedy focused ones, though. Other ones, like last week's for instance, often tend to be interesting watches for me, but my overall enjoyment of them is mixed, and I don't really get much out of rewatching them. I think it's an excellent series in concept and execution, and there's nothing quite like it I've ever seen, but some of it's episodes just miss the mark for me. So I just can't say I totally love the series. But even so, I am a fan of it, and the series as a whole will certainly be something I'll find myself coming back to now and again once it ends. And I'll also be sad to see it go, because it's always interesting and creative, and I look forward to watching every new episode and seeing what kind of style or story they'll try out, which makes it a really fun watching experience for me, even if I can't dig an episode now and again. It really is a kind of a lightning-in-a-bottle series that I doubt we'll ever see replicated, and like KLK, is some of the most fun I've had watching an anime in a good while, which is something I really appreciate.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 27, 2014, 12:01:35 AM
I wasn't aware that TIR was popular, actually. I don't go on other boards, so I don't know if people talk about it that much.
Well, it's not popular in terms of sales or anything... it's bombing hard on the Japanese charts, because no one there watches Watanabe shows for some reason.

QuoteI'm fine with it being an anthology, myself. Level E was also an anthology series, and I really enjoyed it. It's just that even an anthology can still be called out for inconsistent quality with its episodes.
I still need to watch more than a few episodes of Level E. Personally, I don't think the quality of Space Dandy is inconsistent, I think it's more that the execution, writing style, and tone are, which means that - as a whole - it will only appeal to a niche group of people. Personally, I've always been a fan of fiction that plays with the audience's expectations and lacks consistency in events; my favorite works generally jump from irreverent comedy to sobering drama and back again. And I don't mean like how most comedic films have a couple of serious scenes, I'm talking about stuff like The World's End, Cemetery Man, and Drakengard 3, which many have criticized as "not knowing what they want to be" or "trying to have their cake and eat it too." Space Dandy appeals to me because I feel that (nearly) every episode succeeds greatly in what it sets out to do, and I actually relish its lack of consistency. I'm weird.

QuoteFor the record, Desensitized is the only one who claimed to not like it. I already stated that I do like the show, but just don't love it, and my unpopular opinion (at least as far as this board goes) was that TIR is more up my alley. I still think that SD is fun for the most part, though.
TIR is an excellent show, and I can see why Desen doesn't like Space Dandy. Just trying to give my 2 cents. Not bashing on anyone's tastes. ;D

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 27, 2014, 12:10:52 AM
I really do find the show great for all of those aspects. However, I do think that the episodes that I tend to enjoy most from it do mainly happen to be the comedy focused ones, though. Other ones, like last week's for instance, often tend to be interesting watches for me, but my overall enjoyment of them is mixed, and I don't really get much out of rewatching them. I think it's an excellent series in concept and execution, and there's nothing quite like it I've ever seen, but some of it's episodes just miss the mark for me. So I just can't say I totally love the series. But even so, I am a fan of it, and the series as a whole will certainly be something I'll find myself coming back to now and again once it ends. And I'll also be sad to see it go, because it's always interesting and creative, and I look forward to watching every new episode and seeing what kind of style or story they'll try out, which makes it a really fun watching experience for me, even if I can't dig an episode now and again. It really is a kind of a lightning-in-a-bottle series that I doubt we'll ever see replicated, and like KLK, is some of the most fun I've had watching an anime in a good while, which is something I really appreciate.
I actually like the weirder ones the most, myself, but episodes 3, 4, 12, 14, 17, and 20 are among the funniest pieces of anime I've ever seen. :joy:

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on August 27, 2014, 12:20:50 AM
I actually like the weirder ones the most, myself, but episodes 3, 4, 12, 14, 17, and 20 are among the funniest pieces of anime I've ever seen. :joy:

Agreed.   :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on August 27, 2014, 12:20:50 AM
QuoteI'm fine with it being an anthology, myself. Level E was also an anthology series, and I really enjoyed it. It's just that even an anthology can still be called out for inconsistent quality with its episodes.
I still need to watch more than a few episodes of Level E. Personally, I don't think the quality of Space Dandy is inconsistent, I think it's more that the execution, writing style, and tone are, which means that - as a whole - it will only appeal to a niche group of people. Personally, I've always been a fan of fiction that plays with the audience's expectations and lacks consistency in events; my favorite works generally jump from irreverent comedy to sobering drama and back again. And I don't mean like how most comedic films have a couple of serious scenes, I'm talking about stuff like The World's End, Cemetery Man, and Drakengard 3, which many have criticized as "not knowing what they want to be" or "trying to have their cake and eat it too." Space Dandy appeals to me because I feel that (nearly) every episode succeeds greatly in what it sets out to do, and I actually relish its lack of consistency. I'm weird.
Have you still never seen this yet?

If not, you really should.

Foggle

Urgh, I still haven't... let me get on that this weekend. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Best horror comedy ever. Also, get to watching Return of the Living dead as well, if you haven't seen it yet.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 27, 2014, 12:29:53 AM

Man, that reminds me that the Halloween season is on its way (in my book, that means September through the very end of October). Can't wait to watch those movies.

Nel_Annette

I can appreciate Space Dandy's animation, but the humor just doesn't do much for me. I did catch the last episode though (or the episode before that? The rockstar one.) and god dayum did they show a lot more of that blonde chick than I thought they would. Kind of caught me off guard.  :drool: