What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Quote from: Lord Dalek on July 29, 2011, 11:54:27 PM
If you hate the sequels, you'll just "love" the tv series.   :devil:

I liked the TV series but it was Bert Gummer silliness that carried the show. The sequel movies were direct-to-video quality. Found it kind of interesting how Chang would speak Mandarin and then translate to English on one of them. Not bad for Sci-Fi channel back in the day, but hard to compete against the likes of Stargate SG-1, Babylon 5, or BSG.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Kiddington

Anchorman

Guilty pleasure, I'll admit. Feels like every time I watch this, I stumble upon some new quote that I missed the last time around. "Brian, I'm gonna be honest with you... that smells like pure gasoline."

Spark Of Spirit

I love Anchorman. One of the great things about it is how the silliness ramps up as the movie goes on. Before manchild movies took over adult comedies, I thought this was one of the best comedies around and was a breath of fresh air.

I still think it makes for a great combo of 80s silliness with modern sensibilities.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Crazy, Stupid, Love

A lot better than I thought it'd be. I was relatively unimpressed with the trailers, but after being sorta dragged out to see it, I actually like it. It was a surprisingly sweet and touching movie, and overall a lot funnier than I initially gave it credit for. Probably one of the better romcoms that I've seen, especially lately.

Quote from: Desensitized on August 10, 2011, 05:43:07 PM
I love Anchorman. One of the great things about it is how the silliness ramps up as the movie goes on. Before manchild movies took over adult comedies, I thought this was one of the best comedies around and was a breath of fresh air.

I still think it makes for a great combo of 80s silliness with modern sensibilities.
Agreed.

I call it a guilty pleasure because I know how a lot of people feel about Will Ferrell (really, I'm not a huge fan either), but Anchorman is an excellent movie. It's so quotable, too; I can carry on an entire 20-minute conversation with a total stranger just from quoting this film.

"I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us. It's science."

Classic.

Foggle

Just finished watching Noriko's Dinner Table. A very well-done, emotional piece; one that ended up being a lot more subtle and heartfelt than I expected going in. Sion Sono is clearly a skilled writer/director, and I will definitely check out more of his works in the near future.

On a related note, one of his most recent pictures -- Cold Fish -- is currently playing in select theaters. Unfortunately, it is only showing at one theater in Austin, and it's a 20 minute drive from where I live. While this would not normally be an issue, its only showtime is at 10:00 PM and the film is 2 and a half hours long! I'd rather not be driving around a part of town I'm unfamiliar with after midnight, if I can help it. :(

Foggle

Just got done with 13 Assassins. A badass samurai action movie directed by Takashi Miike? No way I could miss that! Some very interesting back-story and an ultra-long final battle scene made this film totally awesome and quite exciting to watch. I recommend it to everyone!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Angus

You Again is a decent watch for Kristen Bell fans.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Eddy

Caught Rifftrax Live!: Jack the Giant Killer last night. Those MST3K guys still got it.

Avaitor

Gremlins.

You know, I can't help but wonder, when is the cap-off time to not feed the Gremlins? I know the rule is after midnight, but does that mean that Gizmo couldn't be fed the midnight after the main guy got him, or if there's a time in the day it can be fed. My friends and I were wondering that too, since it never really got explained.

Besides that and a couple of other questionable plot points, it's still a fun movie, if too silly at times.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Iron Man 2

Watched it again last night. I believe the words "wasted potential" were certainly batted around a few times in my head. It's decent in the sense that Robert Downey Jr. plays the role of suave douchebag to a tee once again, and he certainly made me laugh... but I dunno. The whole "Tony is dying" bit is so ridiculous and annoying, it really ruined a lot of this film for me.

Preaching to many a choir here, it's a definite step down from the original. Hopefully 3 fixes upon 2's glaring flaws.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Kiddington on August 19, 2011, 02:26:44 PM
Iron Man 2

Watched it again last night. I believe the words "wasted potential" were certainly batted around a few times in my head. It's decent in the sense that Robert Downey Jr. plays the role of suave douchebag to a tee once again, and he certainly made me laugh... but I dunno. The whole "Tony is dying" bit is so ridiculous and annoying, it really ruined a lot of this film for me.

Preaching to many a choir here, it's a definite step down from the original. Hopefully 3 fixes upon 2's glaring flaws.
2 isn't that good because not enough happens. I remember some idiot said too much happened in that movie.

Saturday, at a friends party I watched:
Unthinkable- What the hell at the last two scenes.

Pelham 123- Looks like Tony Scott has stopped making complete shit after Enemy Of The State. Complete shit like Domino is UNWATCHABLE. I hate his overstylized approach. Complete shit. Unwatchable. Anyway, good Denzel movie. I have a thing for hostage films. I didn't care for Travolta's performance though.

The Fighter- Good boxing movie. Couldn't take Christian Bale seriously at all.

My Name Is Bruce- Bruce Campbell is GOD

Sunday-
Blow- Finally watched all of this. Well the end of a part before this was too scratched up to watch but I've already seen the very end. The part with the tape and his Dad is so sad.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief. I liked it.  :)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Watched 4 different movies in the past few days-

Crimes and Misdemeanors- A recent thread on tz/At the Movies repeat made me realize that I've seen shockingly few Woody Allen films (I can't recall anything but Annie Hall on the top of my head). I've heard good things about this one, and decided to check it out. Good call. It's pretty nice overall, even if it's a little dry for the most part. Love the use of irony for humor, and Allen did a great job in his part.

Control- The ending scene always haunts me whenever I watch it (not spoiling it if you're unfamiliar with Joy Division's history). Starts off a little slow, but is still one of the best rock biopics out there.

Brief Encounter- Saw that this is one of the few Criterion films left on Netflix, and since I've always wanted to see it, I decided to try it out. I appreciate the storytelling effects, but I couldn't really get into it. Something just didn't click for me. I guess I might just prefer Lean's epics.

Notorious- Classic Hitch. Not one of my huge favorites, but easily in the top 10. Grant, Bergman, Claude Rains, what's not to love?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Saw The Guard on Friday with some friends. Fucking hilarious; excellent script and great performances from everyone involved. Not quite as good as In Bruges, but still brilliant.