Favorite Disney Movies

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkwolf

Penny was mainly there to be the cute and helpless victim. I'll admit, she was a bit annoying at times. But if I were to choose a criticism of The Rescuers, I would say that, while character development in this film was excellent and important, there were a few scenes (like the trip through the zoo, or Penny's Medusa impression) where they sacrificed pace and story for cute scenes between the main characters.

Contemporary reviewers of the film accused Madame Medusa as being a copy of Cruella DeVil, and while I don't think that's entirely fair, it is true that Disney tends to get stuck in a rut rehashing the same character types. (Jasmine/Medea/Esmeralda, anyone?  I was SOOO glad when Tarzan came out and Jane finally broke the chain of sulky, sultry, pouty Disney chicks.)  There's a degree of grossness to Madame Medusa that you won't find in any other Disney character, from the scene of her peeling off her fake eyelashes, to her hideous, color-blind makeup, to her garters left dangling out of the suitcase. She's Cruella's trailer-trash cousin.

Eva Gabor was fabulous as Miss Bianca, and I loved the characters and situations and story. The Rescue Aid Society song and 'Someone's Waiting for You' are among some of my favorite Disney tunes. And, unlike most other Disney movies, it does NOT adhere to either of Disney's two main plot formulas. So, warts and all, in my eyes it's still fantastic.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

No-Personality

Quote from: Inkwolf on February 20, 2014, 08:19:13 AMthere were a few scenes (like the trip through the zoo, or Penny's Medusa impression) where they sacrificed pace and story for cute scenes between the main characters.
Agreed.

I did a rank last week of the Disney Villains in all the films I've seen (or remember- I can't rank Frollo until I rewatch Hunchback on Netflix) and I tried, but couldn't find any real similarities between Cruella and Medusa.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

talonmalon333

So I was just going through and appreciating Disney's great movie posters, mainly from the Disney Renaissance films.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

And though technically after this era, I also love The Princess and the Frog's.

Spoiler
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

TP&TF in general was supposed to be a callback to that era of Disney films so the poster makes sense.

Great art-style in those.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Yeah, the Renaissance did have a lot of the best posters. Mainly because they didn't try to overcrowd them.

talonmalon333

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on March 30, 2014, 06:47:52 PM
Yeah, the Renaissance did have a lot of the best posters. Mainly because they didn't try to overcrowd them.

Some of Hercules are overcrowded, though I almost feel like Disney simply cared less about that movie.

No-Personality

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 30, 2014, 06:33:37 PMSo I was just going through and appreciating Disney's great movie posters, mainly from the Disney Renaissance films.
That Beauty and the Beast one kinda wins, doesn't it? Holy frick, those are gorgeous though. Especially Aladdin's.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I just love how Nani has the Mulan poster in her room in Lilo & Stitch. ;D
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Oh, so I finally got to watch Winnie the Pooh, and I liked it! The animation is especially great, fully expressive, almost like a Disney Afternoon show's would be with a bigger budget. The writing is also pretty strong, and there's some great lines throughout. The songs are hit and miss, though, and the story isn't very robust.

Yet I think that the story flows okay for its length. I know that it being under 70 minutes was a deterrent for people to go see it in theaters, but this is basically an 11-minute story from the TV show multiplied by 6. They could've easily cut it in half and added in another story or two instead, but obviously that didn't happen. Ah well, it was fun to watch.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

And speaking of DMR, they put Home on the Range's Blu up as well, and I used some more points to redeem it.

It's worth less than half the points that Pooh was, which says a lot. So I guess I'm ready to finally see this thing.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Good luck with that one. It got buried pretty fast by Disney after its release.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, from what I can tell, the Blu-Ray contents, right down to the cover, are exactly the same as the DVD's.

Same with Treasure Planet, which I think deserves a little better. Even Brother Bear at least is combined with the sequel, and Chicken Little came out around the time BD was becoming a thing.

New blog!

Avaitor

Home on the Range is as bad as everyone says.

Well, there are one or two things that made me chuckle a little. The animation does look nice when they place with the skyline colors. And k.d. Lang's song is pretty good. That's all there is to recommend.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Are you going to give it a full review? It's not a movie people know much about other than it basically killed the 2D division.

Avaitor

If I do, I might rope it in with some of their previous folk fable adaptations, like Paul Bunyon and Johnny Appleseed. Partly since the staff behind it acknowledged (in a pretty cool documentary, even if it's only about 15 minutes- would you expect it to be any longer, though?) them as influences, and partly to talk about Disney's attempts at portraying the frontier in animation.

They also talked about some of their earlier plans for the movie, including how it may have been more of a wild west ghost story with a mainly human cast, that actually sounds kind of interesting. Then someone brought up cows, marketability, and girl power, and that's the direction they went with.

New blog!