DC Nation

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 21, 2012, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

It helped that the Teen Titans Go! premiere episode wasn't horrible. That isn't to say it was super funny, but I did get some good laughs from it and, honestly, it was sort of nostalgic to hear the original cast act these characters again. It's not Batman: Brave and the Bold good, but it seems worth keeping up with.

Foggle

I also thought Go! had a decent first episode. Not great, but some of it was quite funny. I absolutely loathe the new character designs and theme song remix, though.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on April 30, 2013, 09:10:03 PM
I also thought Go! had a decent first episode. Not great, but some of it was quite funny. I absolutely loathe the new character designs and theme song remix, though.

I hated the designs when they were first revealed, but I think they'll grow on me, now, because they seem to be used effectively for the show's purposes. I thought the remix song was okay, nothing to get worked up over.

Goldstar

After 2 episodes, I have to say that I don't hate Teen Titans GO!, in fact, I kind of like it. TTGO is basically the DC Nation shorts in a half hour format, but it actually works. It's not the greatest, but I do like the way that characters are exaggerated, and the allusions to the rest of the DC universe in the backgrounds are amusing. Unlike many DC fans on the internet, I like the idea of DC animated series that's played strictly for laughs.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Eddy

I'm also enjoying Teen Titans Go! At first I wasn't crazy about the new art style but it's not as distracting as I thought it was going to be after two episodes. It's also great to hear the old voice cast again, you can tell they love working with each other.

Goldstar

Although we're only 2 episodes in, I'm enjoying Teen Titans GO! more than I did the entire 5th season of TT:TAS, and that's not an exaggeration in the slightest.

Silverstar

Quote from: Goldstar on May 05, 2013, 08:51:49 AM
Although we're only 2 episodes in, I'm enjoying Teen Titans GO! more than I did the entire 5th season of TT:TAS, and that's not an exaggeration in the slightest.

I'll see that comment and raise you this: I'm enjoying Teen Titans GO! more than the entirety of Teen Titans: TAS. All 5 seasons. This, to me, is what the original TT should have been back in 2003. TT worked best when it was trying to be goofy and silly, far better than when it tried to be dark and serious (IMO), but even the good stories felt padded out, since each episode of TT was a full half-hour, and since Justice League (which was running at the time) was the straight, serious DC Comics show, Teen Titans should have been the silly, comedic DC Comics show to counterbalance that. I don't even particularly mind that TTGO! doesn't use the Founding Five Titans. And on a side-note, if Lauren Faust ever does get to make Super Best Friends Forever a series, I hope it's like Teen Titans GO!.

Of course, TTGO! isn't for everybody; the show still has its' share of detractors. One anti-fan even went so far as to imply that TTGO! was worse than Ultimate Spider-Man. "At least Ultimate Spider-Man is trying." Trying to do what, exactly? Be the smelliest turd on TV? Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but no way in the deepest, darkest corners of hell is Teen Titans GO! a worse show than Ultimate Spider-Man. TTGO! is juvenile and goofy, but it's funny, and it doesn't try to be anything more than a simple comedy, unlike USM which tries to be a serious action show, a Family Guy-esque laugh-a-minute romp, a Marvel Universe crossover team-up show, a Teen Titans ripoff and a love letter to Spider-Man fans simultaneously, and fails miserably at all of them.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

LumRanmaYasha

Eh...it's only been two episodes. I don't think the original Teen Titans holds up very well (and I loved it as a kid), but whether as a whole Teen Titans Go! will be better than the entirety of the show is uncertain when the show can still easily become unwatchable as the episodes progress, a la Chowder.

Goldstar

I agree that it's much too early to judge the series as a whole, as the series could just as easily go South and get worse as it progresses as it could stay good from start to finish, but I'm personally enjoying the series so far. I know that many of the haters are hating on TTGO! because it's not what they wanted, which was season 6 of Teen Titans. However, remembering just how badly TT season 5 sucked, if we had to get more TT at all, I'm glad that WB went with this idea instead.

Also, I agree with Silver that TTGO! is head and shoulders above Ultimate Spider Man. USM sucks because it tries too hard to be all things to all fans. It wants to be part comedy-part action, but doesn't do either one particularly well. And don't get me started on Team Spider, or whatever the hell they're called on the show. USM makes Super Hero Squad look like Downton Abbey.

hobbyfan

Bumping this forward to join and restart the conversation.

I'm on the side that is so not digging TTG. Granted, I'm not the target demo, but the fact that CN has flipped another bird DC's way with their mistreatment of Beware the Batman suggests that the block might as well go away from CN unless DC is willing to do more comedy.

Seeing as how I never saw the Super Best Friends Forever shorties---a problem easily fixed via YouTube--I wouldn't mind this being expanded to a regular series, as long as it doesn't get screwed up and over.

I watched 2 TTG shorts, and wasn't amused, but then, I referenced that in the TTG thread. A Superman series, if ticketed for the block, needs to be somewhere in the vicinity of Batman: Brave & the Bold to succeed, for example.

Silverstar

Time to eat some crow...again.

After having a few months to sober up, I can now say that Teen Titans GO! isn't as great as I originally said it was. Some of the individual gags (particularly the visual ones involving other DC characters) are pretty good, but the stories are hit and miss; the writers tend to just do whatever they want with the characters: seriously injure, mutilate or even kill them without a care, sometimes in the most senseless and/or mean-spirited ways, only to hit the reset button at the start of each new episode. I'm all for wacky, but the way the TTGO! writers handle their cast and stories just comes off as lazy and half-assed to sometimes, especially these latest installments.

Speaking of Teen Titans, I recently watched the Blockbuster Buster's Honest Review of the 2003 TT series; while it was an interesting experience revisiting that show after several years (and TT's takes on Robin, Cyborg and Starfire were pretty cool), overall I stick by my original opinion that the show was schizophrenic and uneven, and I still thought TT was best when it was just trying to be funny. Side note: it kind of irks me when fans of the show refer to the 2003 CN version of the Titans as "the definitive Titans". It could just be because I'm old, but I'm constantly amazed how so many of TT's fan base have never read a comic in their bloody lives. No, the team from the CN show are not the definitive Titans; that honor goes to the Founding Five: Robin, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Wonder Girl and Speedy. However, I'm not so sure I'd want to see a show starring them, since they were all pre-PC Caucasians, the gender ratio was so unbalanced (4 boys and only 1 girl--these days a Five Man Band should consist of at least 2 female members) and I've always felt that Robin and Speedy together on the same team was redundant, like having Batman and Green Arrow together (heck, GA was created to be an archery themed analogue of the Dark Knight). Overall, I think I'd rather get a SBFF series than TTGO!, as long as the people in charge were to actually care for the characters and the quality of the writing.

I literally haven't watched DC Nation since it became back-to-back TTGO! episodes, nor was I especially impressed by Beware the Batman; but that could just be Bat Fatigue on my part. If Superman is ever slated for DC Nation, a DC Comics Presents series should be something CN and WB should at least consider.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

hobbyfan

CN moved DC Nation up a 1/2-hr. on 12/21 so they could slot Steven Universe at 10:30 (ET). Whee. In an unrelated note, water is wet.

gunswordfist

I really want to see a new Superman cartoon.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

LumRanmaYasha