Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Same. I only watched up to episode 5, but it's a show that I really appreciate when I'm actually watching it, but never felt overly compelled to watch the next episode right away. With GOT, I liked it early on, but didn't get insanely hooked until the end of season 1, and started binge-watching it with the second season.

gunswordfist

i am not sure what kind of new anime i would like just based on its official description. it's either word of mouth or because togashi made it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Similar to how CX has his opinion on what the better RK arc is between Kyoto and Revenge, I have such an opinion with One Piece with Water Seven and Enies Lobby.

Now, I enjoy both immensely, but if I had to pick a stronger portion, it'd definitely be Enies Lobby. I don't get why so many people seem to think that it drops the ball. It's the perfect pay-off to Water Seven's set-up. And really, Water Seven IS really just a set-up arc. It had great moments, don't get me wrong, but I fail to see how stuff like Nico Robin's past, the culmination of Franky's character arc, the burning of the World Government flag scene, the epic confrontation with CP9, Chopper "hulking out" on his Rumble Balls for the first time, Luffy's first Gear 2 and 3 scenes, some of the best character fights in the series, earlier plot points like Little Garden being payed off big time, major future events being set-up and influenced by this arc, and some really strong emotional moments make this an inferior product. Nobody has ever given me a convincing reason as to why I'm wrong, so I just plain don't get OP fans, I guess.

And like I said, I like Water Seven, and Luffy and Usopp's feud are among my favorite moments of the series (and reminds me that the Straw Hat pirates have never had more chemistry between each other than in these arcs), but I do find EL to be stronger. It's my 2nd favorite arc in the series.

LumRanmaYasha

I honestly used to always view them both as one arc before I found out people considered otherwise. They are about equal in terms of quality and great moments, in my book. I could flip flop on which I prefer depending on my mood. I'll admit that I never cared for some of the power-ups the Straw Hats got in EL, and that may have put parts of it down a bit for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That feels a bit trivial to me, though, in the grand scheme of things. Power-up-wise, Luffy and Chopper had the only interesting ones, but the fights themselves were still entertaining, and on a story level, EL is arguably the second most pivotal arc in the series, and was the most pivotal at that point in time before Marineford.

Anyways, I also view it as one big arc, but I just don't get why so many fans consider EL specifically to be inferior to W7.

goody2shoes

Castle of Cagliostro is not just a poor portrayal of Lupin, it's a sappy, preachy and fairly forgettable film. I do appreciate the action sequences, but the story and characters just failed to get me invested which made the action fall flat for me. I really do not understand the appeal, to me Mamo is the better film.

Foggle

I also prefer Mamo, but damn. Considering your opinions on Cagliostro and Fujiko Mine, I think we're going to have to just agree to disagree on Lupin entirely. :shit:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

GSF is probably now your biggest fan. :humhumhum:

In all honesty I enjoy Castle of Cagliostro. The appeal is that it's a fun film in its own right. It's certainly not accurate to the the source material in terms of its portrayal of the characters, but if I were to hold that against it I would also have to hold it against several other Lupin adaptations outside of series like The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

It's an excellent adventure movie. It just happens to star Lupin characters.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 05, 2015, 09:34:09 PM
To be honest, every adaptation of Lupin is so different from both the other anime series and the original manga that I don't think this is a fair assessment. It's just as much Lupin as any other film.

I mean, watch Mamo, Cagliostro, Legend of the Gold of Babylon, and Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone one after the other. They barely resemble each other outside of the main characters and music.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 05, 2015, 09:39:24 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 05, 2015, 09:34:09 PM
To be honest, every adaptation of Lupin is so different from both the other anime series and the original manga that I don't think this is a fair assessment. It's just as much Lupin as any other film.

I mean, watch Mamo, Cagliostro, Legend of the Gold of Babylon, and Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone one after the other. They barely resemble each other outside of the main characters and music.
I agree. I'm just saying that going on about how they're OOC is kind of pointless considering what the movie is about. It serves the story for them to be how they are in the movie.

Personally, I like those versions of the characters. It seems to be how Miyazaki thought of them, so I think it's a valid interpretation.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on March 05, 2015, 09:39:24 PM

I agree. The Lupin characters and concept are so simple and iconic that they can be interpreted and presented in multiple different ways, and still remain true to the heart of the franchise. Whether it's something as tame as Cagilostro or as mature as The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, at their core they're both Lupin to me.

To think of it another way, as a franchise it's no different than something like Scooby Doo or Batman. You can do a lot with the premise and the characters and put them in multiple incarnations and they can all be different from each other in some way, but ultimately each incarnation remains true to it's roots and is recognizably what it's always been at heart.

gunswordfist

Dammit, I wanted to mention Batman after your first paragraph.

From what I remember, Secret Of Mamo Lupin is just like 2nd series Lupin.