What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Sounds sweet. Especially if it's actually the original unaltered version.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

I've seen Raiders and Temple of Doom theatrical but never the original non-walkietalkie E.T.

Commode

I've seen the original, or at least the non-walkietalkie version, though it's been years.  My grandmother had the VHS release from the 80s, and I watched it several times as a kid upon visits to her house.  It has been a while since I've actually seen the tape in her possession, but she did still have it as recently as a few years ago.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Lord Dalek

Ok let me rephrase that. I've seen the non-walkietalkie E.T. a zillion times. Just not in theaters.

Avaitor

I've seen the non-walkie talkie E.T. a bunch, and the walkie talkie version in theaters when it came out. Even when I was like 10 I knew it was bull, though.

And I sure hope that this isn't going to be the 20th anniversary this time. I double checked with the theaters, and they're not sure either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

If its not the old MCA logo in reverse at the start you can walk out.

Avaitor

Unfortunately, it was the 20th anniversary. Worse still, the print looked as worn out as the original should, and started having serious audio problems around the part of the movie where the house got interrogated. Got REALLY fuzzy and it even died out a few times.

But it was nice seeing the movie in theaters again, even with the walkie talkie guns and audio issues. Still a classic.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Hime

Just finished watching Toy Story 3. Quite an ending for the toys, but they're always live on with happiness.

Spark Of Spirit

Tremors.

"You just broke into the wrong goddamn rec room."

Great creature movie. Funny when it wants to be, too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Tremors was a really fun movie. It had an interesting movie monster that traveled through the ground and people had to be clever and find unique and inventive ways to stay off the ground, which made for a really interesting film overall. The characters were also pretty fun and likable for what they were. All of the sequels are garbage, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, it was really unique in that aspect. Because of the way it was set up it forsook most of those cheesy lame scares from most horror movies and actually made you wonder how and when something would happen, especially when the creatures were getting smarter throughout the story. I also liked that it didn't follow the common trope and tell you where these things came from, it gave them a bit more mystique to their ferocity.

I never saw the sequels, but I can guess how bad they were. This is kind of a one shot concept.

Kiddington

Tremors 2 was tolerable. Not nearly as fun or imaginative as the first (the new gimmick in 2 being that the Graboids evolve, and now resemble small dinosaur-like creatures that no longer tunnel underground, and walk on the surface), but still OK. Fred Ward returns, which is good. Michael Gross is still fun... it's an alright sequel IMO, given its small budget and DTV status.

The less said about 3 and 4 the better, though. 3 is pretty bad, and 4 (a prequel) is just fucking terrible. The gimmick in 3 is that the Graboids evolve once more, and gain the ability to fly; it's not as much fun as you'd think, and the CGI-graphics used for the "assblasters" (nickname they give to the newly evolved Graboids) look pretty tacky. I don't really remember much about 4; what I do recall is that it's basically a prequel, set back in the 1900's or something, and it tells the story of how the Graboids came to be. It was also a really awful movie, and not nearly as charming as the first two.

Perhaps the only saving grace for the last two movies is that Michael Gross (Burt Gummer) returns for both movies. He makes due with very little 3, but he's pretty forgettable in 4 (he plays a different character, obviously, since Burt wasn't alive in the 1900's). Again, though; the less said about those last two, the better.

Avaitor

I'd check out 2 just for the hell of it, but 3 and 4 were wastes. The original was a super fun monster movie, and the sequel, while lacking some of the original's spark, holds up on its own to it.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

If you hate the sequels, you'll just "love" the tv series.   :devil:

Avaitor

I still refuse to ever watch that series.

Also, a random question I've been wanting to ask, but what do you guys think are your favorite endings in a film? A couple of Disney ones come close for nostalgia's sake, but I think I might side with this. It's one of the closest I've ever come to crying for a movie ("Baby Mine" from Dumbo is also up there), and the perfect sentimental ending. The whole film is made of brilliance, but that final encounter is what makes the whole experience.

And for the opposite side of the spectrum, this is how to end a tragedy. Check out the expressions on everyone here, from the beginning right down to that chilling final recital. And the delivering of that speech, my god. This movie is one of the few times I've been down-right haunted by a film, and her performance, especially this scene and her negligence towards the ordeals which occurred earlier on by her actions, is just how.

If you haven't seen either film yet, don't watch these! They'll spoil them for you, and I won't watch any links to movies I haven't seen yet either. But these are both up there for me.

New blog!